VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Feb 4, 2012, 06:24 AM

Question Dies Irae in video game soundtracks

"Dies Irae" (Day of Wrath) is one of the oldest known european melodies (read more). It is used in many compositions: classical, pop, rock, movie soundtracks etc.

What about game music then? I started to make a list of VGM that include Dies Irae in form or other. All I remembered right away were these three:

HOMM3 - Necropolis (at 0:23)
HOMM5 - Title (at 0:18)
Indiana Jones and Fate of Atlantis - Room of the God Machine (at 0:03)

ADDED:
Sam&Max (Season 2) - Fugue And Dies Iræ (at 1:35)
Ace Combat: Assault Horizon (at 4:04, lyrics only)
Zombies Ate My Neighbors - Curse of the Tongue (at 0:00)
Final Fantasy IX - Ipsen's Castle (at 0:03)
Gauntlet Legend - The Battle Trenches (at ?:??)

Do you know more?

-BlueMeeple |Youtube| (Bass & Percussion only VGM incl. Mega Man and Jazz Jackrabbit)

Last edited by BlueMeeple; Feb 7, 2012 at 12:07 AM.
Old Feb 4, 2012, 03:59 PM
VGMdb Administrator

The rather literally named "Fugue and Dies Iræ" from Sam & Max Season Two (specifically, episode 5) starts off with a real fugue and then busts out Dies Irae at the climax.

This tune is pretty much Jared Emerson-Johnson's crowning moment of genius, by the way. It's insane that it only plays in this small hub room you only spend like thirty seconds at a time in.
Old Feb 4, 2012, 05:44 PM

Not melodies, but the lyrics of Dies Irae is quoted in "Horizon" from Ace Combat: Assault Horizon (the second last mission theme or such). Dies iræ, dies illa, solvet sæclum in favilla teste ~ (can't recoginize the rest).
Old Feb 5, 2012, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedille View Post
Not melodies, but the lyrics of Dies Irae is quoted in "Horizon" from Ace Combat: Assault Horizon (the second last mission theme or such). Dies iræ, dies illa, solvet sæclum in favilla teste ~ (can't recoginize the rest).
And the words "Dies Irae" also appear in Final Fantasy XIII's Ragnarok. No reference to the plainchant theme, though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BE0uFfgFSuc
Old Feb 7, 2012, 12:07 AM

Thanks for the replies, let's keep the list coming!

I posted this thread also on Overclocked Remix forums and got few new ones from there aswell:

Zombies Ate My Neighbors - Curse of the Tongue
Final Fantasy IX - Ipsen's Castle
Gauntlet Legend - The Battle Trenches (difficult to hear the music in this one, anybody has a better link?)

-BlueMeeple |Youtube| (Bass & Percussion only VGM incl. Mega Man and Jazz Jackrabbit)
Old Feb 8, 2012, 05:53 AM

Hullo!

I made a YouTube-video about this topic. Maybe we can get more examples from there?

Please help share the video!

Old Feb 14, 2012, 05:44 AM

Dies Irae is Wolfgang Krauser's theme song in Fatal Fury 2, Fatal Fury Special, and The King of Fighters '96.
Old Feb 14, 2012, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitsune Sniper View Post
Dies Irae is Wolfgang Krauser's theme song in Fatal Fury 2, Fatal Fury Special, and The King of Fighters '96.
Thanks for the hint!

That's however a different "Dies Irae", composed by W.A.Mozart (that W. is for Wolfgang btw!) in 1791 for his "Requiem Mass in D minor". The Requiem was left unfinished when he died so some parts are more or less completed by someone else. If I remember right Dies Irae is almost 100% only Mozart.

The "Dies Irae" I'm looking for is the one composed in 13th century (maybe by Thomas of Celano) which has been used later by many other composers (check my video for more information).

We could maybe also start to list VGM that include Mozart's "Dies Irae". Beside Fatal Fury it's used also in the beginning of Still Life.

And what about the 3rd famous "Dies Irae", the most powerful of them? The Dies Irae from Verdi's Requiem. Is it used in game soundtracks?

Old Feb 14, 2012, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueMeeple View Post
And what about the 3rd famous "Dies Irae", the most powerful of them? The Dies Irae from Verdi's Requiem. Is it used in game soundtracks?

Yoko Shimomura claimed that the producers of Kingdom Hearts wanted her to write something similar to the Verdi for Destati, but to me it sounds more like a cross between O Fortuna and Duel of the Fates.
Old Feb 14, 2012, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenofan 29A View Post
Yoko Shimomura claimed that the producers of Kingdom Hearts wanted her to write something similar to the Verdi for Destati, but to me it sounds more like a cross between O Fortuna and Duel of the Fates.
Hmm.

Verdi
Shimomura

Spoiler:
They are even in the same key...

Old Feb 23, 2012, 02:52 PM

A nod of Dies Irae can be heard at
the deathblow to Quasimodo's mother
in the Disney's production of The
Hunchback of Notre-Dame.

Genius.
Old Feb 24, 2012, 10:17 AM

How about Dante's inferno: Dies Irae (Track #1) Not exactly similar i tune though and can't tell if the lyrica are right, but nod in the title at least

Last edited by mhell; Feb 24, 2012 at 10:26 AM.
Old Mar 1, 2012, 12:37 AM

@mhell Actually that melody is very close to the original with a cool syncopated countermelody (and I don't really care about lyrics). I even get chills from this one so it's clearly one of the best interpretations of the theme in VGM. Thanks! Do you know at what kind of place in the game this song is played?

@Rhythmroo That IS genius! That kind of short and discreet nods towards the melody are sometimes very difficult to notice but they really are worth it. Thanks for the link!
Old Mar 1, 2012, 08:45 AM

I was about to suggest Dies Irae from Onimusha 3 but it seems that's a different one also. Perhaps we should have threat for that one also?
Old Nov 9, 2012, 06:50 AM

i think towards the end of Diablo 3's soundtrack "Evil Reawakened" i constantly hear the theme (not quoted in full) from about 02:50