VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Jan 20, 2009, 02:34 PM
VGMdb Advisor
VGM Artist

I'm trying to find out exactly what the differences are between this album and the following album:
http://vgmdb.net/album/4881

The album I own is just a disc packed in with the North American version of the game (a.k.a. the Director's Cut). It looks like the same disc here (ATU0011825CDA). However I certainly didn't pay Japanese yen for it.
Old Jan 20, 2009, 03:32 PM
VGMdb Administrator

I'd venture a guess that the scan on this album is wrong, and that it instead belongs with album 4881. In fact, if you look closely at the fine print, that disc was manufactured in the USA, and I don't think they'd do that for a Japanese release.

Since you've effectively confirmed this with your copy, I'll move the scan and cat number over to the other album.

Additionally, these should probably be grouped as parent/child, but we might want some additional verification that they do indeed contain the same music.
Old Jan 20, 2009, 09:27 PM

Such a disc was not released in Japan as far as my knowledge goes, it's probably just a duplicate listing of album 4881 like Secret Squirrel says.

Otherwise, this is the Nocturne Maniacs soundtrack plus extra tracks CD that was included with the US release of Nocturne. If the Feb 20, 2003 release date is correct, that proves it's bogus because Nocturne Maniacs didn't release in Japan until 2004.
Old Mar 3, 2009, 03:07 AM

This is indeed for the US release, which came packed in the game as a disc only, no front or back covers.

As for the price, my apologies; I wasn't sure what was the average price for it in the US, so I erroneously went with Yen. I'm guessing $59.99, correct?

Again, my apologies. ^_^;;
Old Mar 3, 2009, 05:05 AM

If my memory serves me, it released for $39.99.
Old Mar 3, 2009, 05:37 AM

Well, I took the liberty of changing the price to $39.99.

Thanks, and my apologies once more for causing this mix up. =)
Old Mar 3, 2009, 05:54 AM
VGMdb Administrator

I linked these two albums up, but now I'm suffering a bit of confusion. Were there really two separate US releases, or is this really a duplicate of ATU0011825CDA which should be removed?
Old Mar 3, 2009, 07:32 AM

Well, there were two releases of this game: one with the soundtrack and one without the soundtrack, which was a recent re-release. The US version came packed in with the game, in a two-disc case without any form of covers and/or sleeves; it just came inside the case with the game.

The ATLUS page for the game, found here, offers printable cover art and such for the bonus CD, but they weren't included with the game. Also, if memory serves, I do believe the game was released stateside in October 12, 2004, not in September 28.

Either way, if you decide to take out my entry, then please, don't forget to add the notes to the other entry.

Thanks once again.
Old Mar 3, 2009, 10:14 AM

Only one release of this game came with this bonus CD, and that was the October 12, 2004 printing. The package price was $49.99. The reissue of the game was just a reprint without the CD.

The only other "release" of this CD as far as I know is that Atlus would send them as bonuses for purchases from their now defunct store; but it was exactly the same CD. That probably doesn't warrant a different entry.
Old Mar 3, 2009, 03:03 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Thanks for confirming this. I got rid of the duplicate, and moved all of the missing information to the one we kept.
Old Apr 24, 2009, 08:19 PM
VGMdb Advisor
VGM Artist

Thanks for clearing this up, everyone.

Only one question remains. The disc image scan here appears to have pink silkscreen lettering, but my copy it looks red (much like the image on the case). Is this just bad color management on the scan?

EDIT: The price was still listed in yen. I changed it to USD.

EDIT 2: I'm currently using XLD to put this album into iTunes, and I'm noticing the track lengths are slightly different than what's listed here. What standard(s) should we use in listing track lengths when they aren't listed in the album art?

Last edited by Kaleb.G; Apr 24, 2009 at 08:44 PM.
Old Apr 27, 2009, 12:44 AM
VGMdb Advisor
VGM Artist

I added some notes about how the tracks on this album map over to the Japanese OSTs. I did a listen comparison to make sure they were correct.

However, I have another question. In the notes, it says:

"The soundtrack has two noteworthy differences between the Japanese and US tracklists"

I thought this soundtrack was only released in North America. What is this referring to?
Old Apr 27, 2009, 03:31 AM
VGMdb Administrator

They probably mean SVWC-7173~4, and are talking about differences in track titles, not the disc contents.
Old Apr 27, 2009, 05:55 AM
VGMdb Advisor
VGM Artist

Well, a lot of the titles are different, so I think it's a redundant comment. I'll archive it here and delete it.

Quote:
The soundtrack has two noteworthy differences between the Japanese and US tracklists:

30 Heterodox Hall (Jakyo Manor) (JP): Cathedral of Shadows -Cursed- (US)
31 Kotowari (JP): Reason Boss Battle (US)