VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old May 21, 2014, 10:25 PM

Default Please listen / critique my First VG Composition?

I've never made 16-bit music before, and I figure since you guys listen to a lot of it (for which I applaud you), you might have some great perspectives to help me on my quest!

LINK: http://theridgelings.com/ry/lost_puppy1.mp3

I'm working on making a video game from scratch, about the adventures of a lost puppy. Seeing the world from his perspective, etc. So I've been working on the music, and I actually wrote this piece on the guitar years ago with the same theme in mind: I wanted to capture the fear and excitement of a dog exploring a big scary world. Not sure if I achieved that, but this would only be one track from the game, with others to explore that idea further.

I've been told I should just record it on the guitar, since it sounds great that way, and a lot of things may not translate well, but I wanted to experiment first with a sort of 16-bit sound (SNES style!). I've found a decent library of Soundfonts, and I thought I'd give it a try. A lot of the strumming sections turned into Street-Fighter-esque machine gun sprays of notes, whcih I find pretty comical, but I feel like my ear isn't objective since I've been playing this on the guitar for so long.

I need to fiddle with the volumes, I apologize if some sections sound piercing at the moment.

Anyway, I would LOVE some feedback and advice! The song is designed to repeat (the transition back to the beginning needs to be a little less abrupt), and I've broken it down into 5 short sections:

INTRO > ARPEGGIO > FEAR > RISE > MAIN THEME >>

I'm proudest of how the main theme turned out. I can picture a puppy frolicking through a field. I would also love to change up the instrumentation, right now it's a chippy guitar for everything, but I can totally hear some viola & cello swells, especially in the main theme.

Any advice would be wonderfully appreciated! Thanks so much for your time.