VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Feb 15, 2010, 12:47 PM

This one's gonna be tough: (NOTE: This is UNOFFICIAL) [Bold = Confirmed, Italics = Implied]

Yuko Komiyama: Somewhat techno; ambient (Title Call, Relation, Mission Report, Option, Provocation, Beginning, Theme of Alia, Thorny Path, Opening)-->Mild guitar use; (Conflict, Awake Road Again, Combination)-->All in a set; (Decisive Battle, Stage Select, Stage Start, Stage Clear, Stage Select 2, No Holdin' Back)-->All share main theme; (Opening, Ending)--->Not too different from X8 Cinema music; (Our Blood Boils, Conclusion, Fate) --->All in a set; not too much emphasis on rock as Akemi (Naoto); Fate similar to Beginning; (Just Before Red, Infiltration) ---> Similar sounding/in a set; Infiltration sounds similar to Relation

Shinya Okada: Revealing (later used in Rockman X Command Mission); super techno; (Suffering, Black Plotting, Tragedy)--->In same type of cinema scenes as Revealing

Seiko Kobuchi: Slow, dramatic techno; (Cyber Geometry, Theme of X)---> Relate to themes she did in Rockman X Command Mission (Maverick Hunters' Fate and "Dark Prison," respectively.)

Akemi Kimura (Naoto Tanaka): Mod Electric Wave--> Filthy guitar

Makoto Asai: [vouching for 1/2 tracks] (Bomb Recovery) (http://www.mobygames.com/game/ps2/grandia-ii/credits) -->Proof of experience with both acoustic and electric guitars.

Teruo Konishi: [vouching for 1/2 tracks] (Soul Asylum)

Shuichi Mizohata: One-timer, and probably just one track (A Naughty Boy)

Noriyuki Iwadare: Higher The Air appears to be his one and only; nothing else sounds like it. (http://www.squareenixmusic.com/compo...iography.shtml)

Takuya Miyawaki: Only 1 track, and the only other game he was involved in was X5; oh boy..... (Nightmare)

Otherwise,
-Burning Water (sounds like Unknown Energy from Rockman X Command Mission), Ruins'n Vains (very techno)-->Shinya
-Underground, Naval Battle, Mod Electric Wave (all have guitar, but not too much to be Akemi (Naoto)--->Yuko
-Cyber Geometry-->Seiko (Sounds kind of like Irregular Hunter's Fate from Rockman X Command Mission)
-Bomb Recovery--->Makoto, perhaps?[Listens to Killy is No.1] (This tracks also seems to have a nod to Lunar 44 seconds in, except Noriyuki didn't do it, just Higher The Air) [Startup is also unlike Akemi's (Naoto's) style, as he never wails like that at the beginning of any of his tracks that I know of]
-Just Before Red ~ Infiltration ~ Relation-->Yuko (Similar sounding; guitar isn't that dominant in either one to be Naoto)
-Soul Asylum-->One of the lesser people--> (Guesses Teruo due to how very different and cryptic it is)
-Our Blood Boils = Conclusion = Fate-->Yuko (Good mix of guitar and techno, unlike Naoto and Shinya; Fate similar to Beginning)
-Provocation, Theme of Signas, Beginning, Theme of Alia, ~ Thorny Path--->Yuko [in same group of cinema scenes]
-Suffering, Black Plotting, Tragedy,-->Shinya (In relation to Revealing [in same group of cinema scenes])
-Theme of X-->Seiko (sounds kind of like Dark Cloud Cover/Darkness and Despair from Rockman X Command Mission)
-Nightmare-->One of the lesser people (Guesses Takuya, since I believe he does other dark, Nightmarish themes ala Shadow Devil and Lamdabamda in X5)
-Opening, Ending-->Yuko (Give off same vibes as X8 cinema scene music [most likely also done by Yuko])
-A Naughty Boy-->One of the lesser people (Guesses Shuichi due to the different, futuristic techno used here)

Last edited by kyubihanyou; Dec 3, 2010 at 11:08 AM.
Old Feb 15, 2010, 03:26 PM

The X7 soundtrack isn't one of my favorites, but I think there are a few good tracks on it. "Awake Road Again," "Our Blood Boils (no question)," "Infiltration ~ Crimson Palace Stage 1" "and Ruins'n Vains ~ Deep Forest Stage" make up four of my top five. Don't ask me what the fifth one is.

I'd say "Mod Electric Wave ~ Radio Tower Stage" is Okada despite the guitar; it's bores me to tears. Tanaka usually doesn't do that to me (although X6's Ground Scaravich Stage leaves a lot to be desired as well). Not to fond of Okada unless it's the Command Mission Sountrack.

Given the credit spread of Command Mission - which is missing from it's page - it would probably be ok to credit track 29 "Revealing" to Okada, it appears in the game (a bit tweaked) as track 10 "Land of Oblivion." I can add the credit spread to that page since I have the album.

Additionally, I'd love to know who was behind 17 "Relation ~ VS Red" - that guitar is woefully undersampled. I know that's the point and the sound they were going for but it sticks out like a sore thumb.

Last edited by Brad Evans; Feb 15, 2010 at 05:18 PM.
Old Feb 15, 2010, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Evans View Post
The X7 soundtrack isn't one of my favorites, but I think there are a few good tracks on it. "Awake Road Again," "Our Blood Boils (no question)," "Infiltration ~ Crimson Palace Stage 1" "and Ruins'n Vains ~ Deep Forest Stage" make up four of my top five. Don't ask me what the fifth one is.

I'd say "Mod Electric Wave ~ Radio Tower Stage" is Okada despite the guitar; it's bores me to tears. Tanaka usually doesn't do that to me (although X6's Ground Scaravich Stage leaves a lot to be desired as well). Not to fond of Okada unless it's the Command Mission Sountrack.

Given the credit spread of Command Mission - which is missing from it's page - it would probably be ok to credit track 29 "Revealing" to Okada, it appears in the game (a bit tweaked) as track 10 "Land of Oblivion." I can add the credit spread to that page since I have the album.

Additionally, I'd love to know who was behind 17 "Relation ~ VS Red" - that guitar is woefully undersampled. I know that's the point and the sound they were going for but it sticks out like a sore thumb.
Thank you so much for critiquing. Why isn't anyone else doing what you're doing? We got a lot more stuff done that way.

I just checked every track Okada did on Command Mission; there were horns, violins, and even a choir, but not one guitar (except maybe in "Standby, Zero," but it sounds like a completely different style). Indeed, he is almost as techno as Shinji Hosoe, and Naoto is Capcom's answer to Jun Senoue. That's why I immediately picked up on Naoto's rock-style, as it was the only thing they separates X7 from CM. Therefore, he's gotta be the one behind Mod Electric Wave; what else is there for him to do on this album? Plus there's quite a bit of soul in it, something techno can never replicate no matter how hard it tries.

Oh, and I think Yuko does Relation. X8 proved that she can play a nice guitar melody; she just can't belt out a face melter like Naoto, which was the difference maker.

Last edited by kyubihanyou; Jun 1, 2010 at 10:14 PM.
Old Mar 8, 2010, 02:23 AM

When I was looking at this soundtrack, I started thinking - isn't "Vains" in "Ruins'n Vains" a typo? "Vain" is a word, "Vains" isn't a word while "Veins" is a word. "Veins" would kind of make more sense, the twisted trees scattered throughout the stage looking like one's veins. Vain is used like "he's so vain, he can't resist his own relection" and "he tried, in vain." Doesn't really work with what the game gives you.

I'm probably overthinking it, you could nick-pick the title even more about the 'n ("Ruins 'n' Veins") - but I could see how some one could easily make that mistake.

Last edited by Brad Evans; Mar 8, 2010 at 02:36 AM.
Old Mar 8, 2010, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Evans View Post
I'm probably overthinking it, you could nick-pick the title even more about the 'n ("Ruins 'n' Veins") - but I could see how some one could easily make that mistake.
Yeah, you are. You only just now made me think of speaking/sounding out the title and it's basically a corrupted form of Ruins in Vain, as in these ruins mean nothing in the year 21XX, and therefore, are in vain.

EDIT: (01:02 PM)
This also, in a way, makes it extremely likely that Shinya Okada composed this track, as he probably, being the techno wizard that he is, intended to write the title as such. It certainly wasn't a new concept at the time.

ex. Linkin Park's Reanimation album also deformed its titles (originally from Hybrid Theory) whilst adding A LOT of techno beats.

Last edited by kyubihanyou; Mar 8, 2010 at 10:10 AM.
Old Mar 8, 2010, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyubihanyou View Post
Yeah, you are.
Oh, I'm sorry... I must be the only person in the history of the world that's read into something. Silly me.
Old Nov 7, 2010, 10:23 AM

Booklet 6 seems to be the only reliable source of composition credit information on here.
*NOTE: The words come from Yuko Komiyama*
-Second paragraph, first sentence seems to refer to the opening stage (or at least "Awake Road Again"), as Yuko laters refers to Setsuo Yamamoto.
-Second paragraph, seventh sentence [ignoring the break after the sixth sentence] refers to that same stage as the first sentence, but adds "Boss" to the end, which I believe refers to "Combination."
-Third paragraph, first sentence mentions "8 Boss Tune," which could mean either the main boss theme (Decisive Battle) or the 8 individual boss stages themes.
-Fourth paragraph, first sentence mentions Valuewave, which is where 6 of the 9 composers (Kimura to Miyawaki) come from. This leads me to believe that Komiyama referred to Decisive Battle in the earlier paragraph, not the 8 stages, as there are clear differences in style among the themes, which makes sense based on my assessment. The key to the extent of Valuewave's involvement seems to lie in that paragraph, especially one sentence that goes "1 Tune 1 Tune."
Old Jan 8, 2013, 05:37 PM
Trusted Editor

i've gotten some recent info from some of the composers off of twitter..

Teruo Konishi - 2tracks(VS Sigma) compose. http://bit.ly/UxqSkZ (01:00 & 03:10 BGM)

Shuichi Mizohata - i wrote these 2 songs. Infiltration ~ Crimson Palace Stage 1 and Soul Asylum ~ Crimson Palace Stage 2

Makoto Asai - Since it is front music very much, i don't remember in which music. I do not have Rockman's CD.
Old Jan 12, 2014, 04:42 AM
VGMdb Advisor

From the liner notes:
Komiyama: highway stage, eight bosses theme
Okada: highway stage boss