VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Jul 31, 2021, 08:28 AM

Only had a brief listen and the two tracks on this album sound similar but also a little bit different from the main album release. Disclaimer/note: I haven't listed to the main album in a long time.

The Race is ON

On the main album release:
1) It begins immediately with a sustained guitar chord.
2) The drum beat enters at a few seconds later.
3) There is a split second silence at 0:10 before the guitar tri-note arpeggios, the repeating guitar chord and drum beat. Vocals begins at 0:33.

On this album:
1) Sustained guitar chord completely missing.
2) No pre-vocal split second silence.
3) There are the usual guitar tri-note arpeggios and repeating guitar chord but the drum beats completely missing. I think the guitar sounds louder/more emphasised too.
4) Vocals begins at 0:45.
5) Split second silence relocated to right before "the race is on". After "the race is on", the drum beat finally appears at 1:06. i.e. The first part of the vocals have no drum beat accompanying it.

High-speed Monster

Harder to visualise/explain the differences but it seems like the intro/pre-intro has been extended and the instrumentation in this intro is more individually isolated with the usual instruments brought in later.

Also, on the main album release, the main part of the song begins at 0:56, right after the digitally voiced line ("keep on and pray"?). On this album, that doesn't happen until 2:48.

Last edited by layzee; Jul 31, 2021 at 08:35 AM.
Old Jul 31, 2021, 03:31 PM
VGMdb Staff

Interesting find layzee. It sounds like this should be classified as a prototype then. Do you have scans/pics of the rest of the packaging?
Old Aug 6, 2021, 08:36 AM

I think it would be reasonable to classify these tracks as prototypes, similar to Yuzo's various Sekaijuu no MeiQ prototype mini-albums. I'll have some more photos of the packaging when I remember to do it.