VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Jun 13, 2013, 04:44 AM
Trusted Editor

The reply I got after asking CDJapan if they intend to distribute the album:
Quote:
Hi. Thank you for contacting CDJapan.

We made inquiries, but we will not be able to
get either of these supplied, because they
are selling it independently.

None of the record companies we have dealings
with said they will be able to carry them at
this time.

Generally speaking, independent companies
do not have the capacity and apparently the
willingness, too, to deal with too many shops.

On our end, we are always willing t sell anything,
but we are not able to do so until they are willing
to supply the products to us.

Sincerely,
Toshi Makiya
Old Jun 13, 2013, 07:12 AM
VGMdb Advisor

yuck.

So middle-man special-orders it is then?
Old Jun 13, 2013, 07:36 AM
Trusted Editor

Otaku also has it up for sale, but with the shipping rates it's quite expensive.
Old Jul 10, 2013, 04:39 PM
Trusted Editor

I ordered this from Otaku and hadn't received it yet, I asked them about it and it has been delayed until August. Didn't bother to look up when in August, but FYI for anyone ordering or anyone wanting to update the release date.
Old Jul 10, 2013, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramza View Post
yuck.

So middle-man special-orders it is then?
The only other place I've seen it is on Amazon Japan, but their international shipping is very expensive. Do they still ship by DHL? I think that's what happened last time I ordered from there (ages ago).
Old Jul 10, 2013, 07:30 PM
Trusted Editor

They went Fed-Ex after the DHL fold and it got even more expensive. I don't know if it's changed, I haven't ordered anything from there in a very long time, I think it's still Fed-Ex though.
Old Jul 10, 2013, 07:49 PM

I think August is not the delayed date, but rather the public release date (like much of recent SuperSweep release). I already rolled back Otaku. com's edit.

Btw, are both 浅野隼人and 木下英幸 credited in Romaji on the booklet?
Old Jul 10, 2013, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancey View Post
They went Fed-Ex after the DHL fold and it got even more expensive. I don't know if it's changed, I haven't ordered anything from there in a very long time, I think it's still Fed-Ex though.
Ah, ok. Yeah, I think last time i ordered something there, it was 2000yen shipping (for one item)
Old Jul 11, 2013, 10:30 AM
Trusted Editor

I got my copy from Amazon through a middleman (to avoid the ridiculous shipping costs and customs). Still has to arrive though (the package was shipped on 3rd of July). So I don't see any delay here.
Old Jul 13, 2013, 07:37 AM

It seems its now available through CD Japan as well as AmiAmi.
Old Jul 13, 2013, 02:53 PM
Trusted Editor

Ahh, looks like I could have saved some money
Old Sep 7, 2013, 09:51 AM
Trusted Editor

Doing the tracklist for this and this is just general notes with questions and comments.

Disc 1

05 万里一空, this is how it's typed in the booklet (so this is correct) but I believe this is a typo for "万理一空" which appears to be something related to Buddhism and Miyamoto Musashi. I found a weblio entry for it but I'm not sure I understand it, or know how to translate it accurately, so I'm leaving it as Banri Ikku. I don't know if Buddhism or Eastern religion plays a role in Atelier games as I've never played them.
07 わが名はレジオン Not sure if the name is "Legion" or "Region", I can't find any localized examples for the name. It doesn't appear to be a character name and it's labeled as a Boss theme so *shrug*.
10 大いなる業 -- Idiomatic and I'm using "Magnum Opus" instead of "Great Work"
13 お嬢さん、一緒にりんごを食べませんか? "Miss, Why Don't We Eat Apples Together?", I think I translated that correct but grammar is not my strong suit.
14 羽休め -- Haneyasume. Not sure if this should be translated as "Roost" (Thanks, Pokemon!) or if it is another Eastern Buddhist thing I should leave untranslated. For now, I'll stick with Roost unless the rest of the tracklist when I gets to it shows me that it leans more towards Buddhist things.
15 傍らに咲く花 Part2 -- A Flower That Blooms Alongside Part2. I know it was previously translated as "A Flower Blooming Nearby" on the Dusk soundtrack but I don't know that it's accurate. This is debatable, I suppose.
17 雲の湊 -- *edit* Cloud Harbor, coe clarified -- Clouds of the Harbor, Harbor Clouds, Clouds of Minato, Minato's Clouds? I don't know if "Minato" is a place, though, and shouldn't be translated. It doesn't look like Atelier games take place in any real world but I have no idea. I'll stick with "Harbor Clouds" for now.
18 メガネが滾る -- Megane ga tagiru, I feel like this has to be "Glass Is Boiling" given the nature of the game (Alchemy??).
26 ベリーの弾丸 -- I went with "Belly" instead of "Berry" or "Beri" because it doesn't look like a character name and tracks 20~23 all share a food theme *shrug*
27 どうしたもんか -- Doshita monka, which, if I understand this correctly, is basically a mocking or rhetorical way of saying "What's Wrong?", I don't know how to indicate that in text.
28 uh, spoiler alert? lol.
29 空と気球と気候地形学的太陽の物語 -- What is this I don't even........ "The Story of the Sky, the Balloon and the Climate Geomorphological Sun" what the hell?

Disc 2

02 尻尾の数はふたつとひとつ -- I translated this as "Tail Numbers One and Two" since the wa indicates the subject of "Number of tails" I think this accurately reflects the meaning in English.
05 名もなきかの地へ -- "To the Land Without a Name" flows well, or at least better than "To the Nameless Land"
08 高度を上げて -- I'm going to go with "Increase the Altitude" for this one (agete + kodou) since the previous track is titled "Updraft" it leads me to believe it has something to do with increasing altitude or height. I guess it could mean "Lift Off", too.
09 吹けよ風、呼べよ嵐 -Full Metal Slug- -- I guess the literal translation would be "Blow! Wind, Call! Storm -Full Metal Slug-" but can someone tell me if Fukeyo Kaze, Yobeyo Arashi is an idiom? The Pink Floyd Song "One of These Days" was translated as 吹けよ風、呼べよ嵐, so I'm not sure.
10 ドロシアの虎 -- Tigers of Dorocia? I get that it can be translated as "Dorothy" but I don't know that that makes sense. It's either a place or a person and I'm not sure which, leaning towards place. **edit** Changed to Dorothy's Tiger, I guess.
11 人外魔境冒険譚 -- Rather complex word, breaking it out into parts you get 人外 + 魔境 + 冒険 + 譚 = Uninhabitated Area (or place without human life, void of humans) + haunts of wicked men (terrifying, ominous place, place infested with demons) + adventure/risky attempt/hazard + story. So in English, something roughly like A Story of an An Adventure In an Uninhabited and Terrifying Place. I don't think you can portray the full complexity of the word in English without using articles, prepositions and such.
19 発芽(ゲンミナティオ)
20 形成(フルマティオ) -- Not sure if these two are supposed to be (Genminatio) and (Formatio) on purpose or if you can leave off the last ん in "ion" words in katakana or if they're just trying to give it a Latin/Greek feel (again, Alchemy?)
21 午後は砂糖たっぷりのチャイを -- There was a typo on this track (I corrected it), 'ぷ', not 'ぶ'.
30 そして誰もいなくなった場所で -- Literally would be "And then there were none in a place" but that doesn't make sense in English so I'm going to try using "In a Place Where People Once Were"

Disc 3

03 働き蜂のいない巣で -- Translation services say "In the Nest Without a Worker Bee", which makes sense, but changing it to "In a Nest That Has No Worker Bee" to differentiate from the nest not having the bee and you/your party not having the bee.
09 硝子の鍵 -- Can't really tell without playing the game if this is supposed to be "Key of Glass"/"Glass Key" (i.e., a key made out of Glass) or a "Key to the Glass" (a key that gives entry or allows the use of Glass as an alchemical ingredient or something). I'll go with Glass Key for the time being.
10 それいけ!カイハツハン -- I don't realy know what Kaihatsuhan is (a place, a person [Kaihatsu-han, using han as the honorific, probably not since it's katakana]). Just leaving it as Kaihatsuhan unless something better comes along.
11 手おくれ -- *edit* coe helped with this one, it's "Too Late" -- This one has me really confused. "Te okure". I'm assuming that "okure" is not the verb okure, since it's written in hiragana. I'm also reading that okure can be Kansai dialect for "kudasai" but I don't know really what that means or why it applies to a fictional game. If it means please, then we're looking at "Hand Please". Or it could even be "Paw Please". Like someone is asking you for their hand/paw, like when you're talking to a dog and asking for it's paw kind of thing. That is the best I could come up with.
14 たそがれのボイン -- Really lost on this one too. Boin of Dusk? Dusk Boin? I see some references to "Boin" refering to large breasts, the sound "boing" but nothing related to any Atelier games... Leaving as Dusk Boing. Track 15 is similar so maybe the "Boing" refers to the "bounciness" of the song?
18 ひとりの部屋 -- Alone In a Room By Yourself expresses it about as well as you can.
20 蒼天の空を飛ぶ -- Technically should be something like Fly In the Sky of the Blue Sky but "Fly in the Blue Sky" holds the same meaning in English
29 手と手をつないで -- I get that te wo tsunaide is "Please Hold My Hand" but I don't know what the "Te to" in the beginning does to it. I guess literally it would be something weird like Please Hold My Hand and Hand, but does it loosely mean "Please Hold My Hand In Yours"? Or does it mean something like "Please, Let's Go Hand in Hand"?

Last edited by dancey; Sep 7, 2013 at 08:49 PM.
Old Sep 8, 2013, 02:35 PM
VGMdb Advisor

Some suggestions...

1.07, 2.11 Kikuta's track names are references as usual (My Name is Legion, Tiger Rag)
1.29 why "murder"? (事件簿 should be like "case file" "record of the affair", etc)
2.32 should be just "Distant Memories" (なる is not a verb here)
3.05 missing "Queen _Bee_ of the Lonesome"
3.08 this should be "Promise" like 1.02
3.13 likely "Evening _Melody_" or so
3.31 I think plainly "Sweet Reward" makes much more sense given the lyrics?
Old Sep 8, 2013, 02:57 PM
Trusted Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dag View Post
Some suggestions...

1.07, 2.11 Kikuta's track names are references as usual (My Name is Legion, Tiger Rag)
1.29 why "murder"? (事件簿 should be like "case file" "record of the affair", etc)
2.32 should be just "Distant Memories" (なる is not a verb here)
3.05 missing "Queen _Bee_ of the Lonesome"
3.08 this should be "Promise" like 1.02
3.13 likely "Evening _Melody_" or so
3.31 I think plainly "Sweet Reward" makes much more sense given the lyrics?
Excellent info, thanks! I've updated them.
Old Sep 9, 2013, 03:31 AM

Quote:
05 万里一空, this is how it's typed in the booklet (so this is correct) but I believe this is a typo for "万理一空" which appears to be something related to Buddhism and Miyamoto Musashi. I found a weblio entry for it but I'm not sure I understand it, or know how to translate it accurately, so I'm leaving it as Banri Ikku. I don't know if Buddhism or Eastern religion plays a role in Atelier games as I've never played them.
I think the opposite is the case. It's 万里一空 which is written in Miyamoto's Gorin no Sho (1, 2, 3). 万一空 seems to literally means our planet only has one sky.

Quote:
27 どうしたもんか -- Doshita monka, which, if I understand this correctly, is basically a mocking or rhetorical way of saying "What's Wrong?", I don't know how to indicate that in text.
It's just another way of saying "What should I do?".

Quote:
10 それいけ!カイハツハン -- I don't realy know what Kaihatsuhan is (a place, a person [Kaihatsu-han, using han as the honorific, probably not since it's katakana]). Just leaving it as Kaihatsuhan unless something better comes along.
カイハツハン = 開発班 = Development Team.

Quote:
14 たそがれのボイン -- Really lost on this one too. Boin of Dusk? Dusk Boin? I see some references to "Boin" refering to large breasts, the sound "boing" but nothing related to any Atelier games... Leaving as Dusk Boing. Track 15 is similar so maybe the "Boing" refers to the "bounciness" of the song?
Literally, a woman with big boobs in melancholy mood.
Old Sep 9, 2013, 11:35 AM
Trusted Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedille View Post
I think the opposite is the case. It's 万里一空 which is written in Miyamoto's Gorin no Sho (1, 2, 3). 万一空 seems to literally means our planet only has one sky.

It's just another way of saying "What should I do?".

カイハツハン = 開発班 = Development Team.

Literally, a woman with big boobs in melancholy mood.
Thanks for these.

Can anyone recommend a better way to say "Our Planet Only Has One Sky" in English so that it sounds more idiomatic? I was thinkg something like "Our Planet Has But One Sky" but maybe someone else can come up with something better sounding.

Also, for the Large Breasted Melancholy melancholy woman song, I don't know how to put this in English. Isn't Tasogare "Twilight" or "Dusk" (See all the references to Twilight/Dusk in the entire soundtrack)? Something like "Big-Breasted Woman at Dusk" just sounds bizarre but I have no other way to describe it. Maybe "Bouncy at Dusk" but that loses some of the meaning, does this work?
Old Sep 9, 2013, 11:45 AM

Boobs at Dusk ;p
Old Sep 9, 2013, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Isn't Tasogare "Twilight" or "Dusk"?
It is, if the subject is a sky. If the subject is a human, however, it
can also mean being in a melancholy state. "At Dusk" is of course very fine. My point was Boin was somebody large-breasted.
Old Jan 13, 2014, 08:19 PM
VGMdb Staff

Is 木下英幸 actually romanized as Hideyuki Kinoshita on this album?

I was doing some research on doujin artists today and found that 木下英幸 (Hideyuki Kishita) is the real name of Shusetsu Hi;ragi.
Old Jan 14, 2014, 02:21 AM

Spoiler:
Old Jan 14, 2014, 06:21 AM
VGMdb Staff

Thanks. I wonder if that's really just a coincidence though. He's even friends with a Hayato Asano on Facebook (and the flutist on this album, Kenji Imai).

Edit: He also started following Gust's PR account on Twitter recently. Yeah, I'm very sure the booklet spelling is an error.

Edit2: I added it as a variation because I believe such a coincidence is improbable. I've also added Hayato Asano who's in charge of the music for the new Escha & Logy anime along with Yanagawa.

Last edited by cal; Apr 10, 2014 at 06:07 AM.
Old Oct 5, 2016, 02:28 AM

I guess they used & because if it was と, it'd have given Atelier Eschatology
at least the hero is named Escha and not Sca ;p
Old Oct 11, 2017, 10:26 AM

Not personally sold on the translations for 1-18 or 3-14. For "メガネが滾る", not only is it the theme for a character who wears glasses, but the title is (very likely) a reference to a track called "メガネが笑う" Achiwa composed a long time ago for another character in this series who wears glasses (and likes to laugh at the main character.) While I don't know Japanese, "The Glasses are Roaring" seems far more appropriate. "Dusk Boing" or something similar would make much more sense while retaining the same semantic meaning. I won't change them myself as the current English titles have had time to become popular now, but if anyone wants to weigh in that might be good.

Last edited by Sherkel; Oct 17, 2021 at 07:11 AM.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 10:31 AM

I personally used Dusky Busty =)
Old Oct 11, 2017, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phonograph View Post
I personally used Dusky Busty =)
Hahaha, that may very well be more effective than any attempt at a literal translation.

EDIT: This gives us an official name for 1-18, "Glasses Overflowing".

Last edited by Sherkel; Oct 11, 2017 at 10:37 AM.
Old Oct 16, 2017, 11:17 PM

Right when I remembered the DLC music pack and thought it might clear up that track name...it doesn't. At least the Firis one doesn't. It does provide a couple new English titles, so I'm going to update those.

EDIT: Gah, I wasn't able to remember all of them and I'm not going to be at the computer with the OST on it for a couple of days. I'm sorry about that. There were a couple I specifically didn't change, those being "My Name is Legion" becoming "I Am Legion" and "Love the Dragon -Don't Kill the Dragon-" becoming just "Don't Kill the Dragon". If anyone knows, the ones I couldn't identify were called (in English) Faster than Light, And Then There Were None, Maneuver, and Husk. I'll get on them as soon as I can.

Last edited by Sherkel; Oct 16, 2017 at 11:34 PM.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 12:31 AM
VGMdb Staff

I'm pretty sure it's like this:
Faster Than Light - 光を越えて
And Then There Were None - そして誰もいなくなった場所で
Maneuver - 蠢動
Husk - 骸

I've actually ripped the Firis game files that contain both English and Japanese track names a while ago (DLC music ones too) so I'll double check it probably later today.

Edit Oct. 19
I've updated the rest using PS3 Sound Room. Note about dusk/twilight usage in the track titles - twilight seems preferred, contrary to the game (trilogy) itself. We have "A Promise (Hill of Twilight)" and "Twilight Bounce". There's of course the song "Sky of Twilight" which is titled in English to begin with. That's how the things look in the PS3 game. Atelier Firis DLC track does bring consistency (possibly games before it too), changed to "A Promise (Hill of Dusk)". If Twilight Bounce was offered as a DLC, I suspect they'd make another change there. Almost certainly seeing "Sky of Dusk" received the treatment as well.

Last edited by Efendija; Oct 19, 2017 at 10:27 AM.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 05:02 AM

Quote:
26 ベリーの弾丸 -- I went with "Belly" instead of "Berry" or "Beri" because it doesn't look like a character name and tracks 20~23 all share a food theme *shrug*
note that it's the theme of Reyfer Luckberry =)