VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Jul 7, 2008, 01:03 PM
VGMdb Advisor
VGM Artist

Does anyone actually own this album? I purchased the second in the set (Very Best of Kirby) a couple years ago, but only recently heard of this one.
Old Jul 7, 2008, 03:10 PM

No, but I've been trying to get ahold of a copy for about a year now. It runs for a very high price range even for used copies (upwards of 15000-20000 Yen). Even higher if its a unopened copy.
Old Oct 9, 2008, 07:55 AM

Was this released through Club Nintendo like the Very Best of Kirby soundtrack? TIA
Old Jan 15, 2016, 07:57 AM

An auction for this title (in conjunction with the Very Best Of album) recently ended at 28,500 Yen.

http://page7.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/g168362472
Old Jul 10, 2020, 07:11 PM

I'm skeptical on a few of the individual composer credits, specifically Jun Ishikawa for tracks 43 and 45. Where do these attributions come from?
Old Jul 10, 2020, 07:50 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Yeah I'm skeptical too, I removed the dubious credits. The remaining Air Ride and Smash credits are fine
Old Apr 11, 2022, 08:22 AM

I think it's unlikely the anime music featured in this album are Akira Miyagawa's work. They're nearly all arrangements of game music, while the music from the the official anime soundtrack are original compositions. Miyagawa isn't even credited in the booklet so it shouldn't come as a surprise.
  • Track 41 was featured in Planet Robobot unarranged from its anime version and even credited to Hirokazu Ando in the jukebox, so that one should at least be credited as such.
  • Track 34 and 42 seem to be used as the basis of "VS. Mecha Kawasaki" from Return to Dream Land and "Battle with the Enormous Boss" from Super Star Ultra respectively, probably based on the same music sequence data.
  • The original intro of track 35 is referenced in City Trial's theme, an original from Air Ride.
Old Apr 12, 2022, 04:08 AM

Honestly yeah. Wikirby says that Jun Ishikawa and Hirokazu Ando also worked on the anime music, and while I feel this is true I haven't found a proper source to back this up. That being said, Ando is at least confirmed to have been involved if he's been credited for one of these tracks in Planet Robobot. I think I'll remove Akira Miyagawa from this album, not to mention that HAL's stuff for the anime sounds very different from Miyagawa's now that I listen to both sides.
Old Apr 12, 2022, 12:15 PM

It should probably be noted that, apparently, since episode 72 of the Kirby anime Shogo Sakai appears credited as "music production" (音楽プロデュース), which could imply that at the very least he was probably involved with some of the music. There's also the fact that some anime music (not included in any CD) was used in some of Kirby's games scored by Sakai (e.g. "Mosugaba's song" was arranged for both Mass Attack and Rainbow Curse, and apparently some anime motifs were used for "What's This Now?", "Hit the Switch?" and "A Bad Feeling..." on Rainbow Curse).

Of course, that doesn't necessarily mean that Sakai wrote the referenced anime themes (or even that he arranged them in the case of Rainbow Curse), but Sakai being a connecting thread for these otherwise somewhat obscure motifs would make more sense to me.
Old Apr 12, 2022, 04:22 PM
VGMdb Administrator

I don't think it should necessarily be inferred that the anime soundtrack is a complete collection of everything Miyagawa wrote for the anime and that he wasn't responsible for some of the arrangements too, but starting with episode 27, the anime additionally credits Hayata Akashi and HAL Lab Sound Team with composition of BGM.

EDIT: Sakai's PRESS START 2007 profile explicitly said he was responsible for some anime BGM: https://web.archive.org/web/20071012...7/index02.html

Last edited by CHz; Apr 12, 2022 at 05:18 PM.
Old Apr 12, 2022, 08:39 PM

If I remember correctly episode 27 was also the first episode they used arranged game music for the show, so I think that credit fits.
Old Apr 13, 2022, 03:11 AM

At the very least I assume that all the anime stuff on this CD is 99% likely to have been done by HAL and none of the non-HAL guys, as they aren't credited here.

On another note, as others have said, I'm 99% sure that Hironobu Inagaki was just a sound programmer and not a composer, and HAL probably didn't even look further as they had no involvement with the sound at all. Unfortunately his Facebook has been inactive since 2011 so we can't verify with him, and Atsuyoshi Isemura has little online presence. In terms of the other GBA and DS games (Nightmare in Dream Land, Canvas Curse, Squeak Squad) I suspect those were mostly Ishikawa's work and the others mostly did management/direction, SFX or guest tracks.