VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Search

Old Oct 17, 2015, 05:31 AM

Default Would you buy a 1000 euro soundtrack?

http://www.discogs.com/sell/item/278657734

This price seems a bit over board in my opinion...
(This seller is a crook, he sells a 1000 yen Juli 2015 CD for 45 euro)
Old Oct 17, 2015, 05:40 AM
Trusted Editor

Uhm, nope.

The most I paid for a soundtrack was in the 150€ range. But it was for some very rare stuff... My absolute limit would be 300€, I guess. But I never came accross an album that's worth it yet (maybe Double Dragon II some day, but I'm still waiting to find a copy at a more decent price).

Last edited by suicider; Oct 17, 2015 at 05:42 AM.
Old Oct 17, 2015, 09:18 AM

It depends. I would like to have said "no", but given the prices I have paid over the years for e.g. the five Game Music Concerts, Turrican Soundtrack Anthology or some other Kickstarter projects, I suspect that I might pay it. It would have to be an item that I want for its music, probably with a significant nostalgic value, and likely it would have to be exclusive in some way (not "pay now and later we will make it available on Bandcamp"). I would be sorely tempted if, for example, the soundtrack to Monkey Island 2 was recorded with a live orchestra and released on CD, or if some of my favorite ZX Spectrum tunes got released in some upgraded form (I was lucky that Allister Brimble accepted some of my suggestions for ZX Spectrum: A Visual Compendium's companion CD before the Kickstarter campaign even started, so I hadn't had to pay quite that much as 1000 euro. But it's a distinct possibility that I would, if I had to.)
Old Oct 17, 2015, 10:01 AM

Definitely not. I don't believe there is any soundtrack with a fair market value of 1000 euros today (though perhaps there are exceptions I don't know about).

If I saw an album at that price, my move would be to wait until another copy hit the market - almost surely at a lower price.
Old Nov 1, 2015, 11:20 AM

I wouldn't even buy a 100€ soundtrack.
There's just a limit to how much a music CD should cost and if it's not absolutely rare and has hundreds of songs on it, I don't think any soundtrack is worth more than ~20€. Most cost even less than that, so 1000€ is really ridiculous.
Old Nov 2, 2015, 05:15 AM

I would consider paying that amount of money only if I knew for sure that:

- That copy of the album is the only one currently available for sale;
- The item is untouched/factory-sealed.

Heck, even with both conditions met I'd take my damn long time thinking about it. I must say part of me can't help feeling disgusted by all the sellers which have you pay a price higher than the original one… I understand rarity and other factors may come into play, still… Guess that's simply not how I roll, I deem it unfair for the buyer to pay more than what the producers/whoever takes care of pricing originally chose.
At worst I had folks pay me the album's exact price, but those were rare cases where I left the item untouched.
last.fm | Discord: Dark Slayer#8440

Last edited by ilef; Nov 2, 2015 at 05:18 AM.
Old Jan 11, 2016, 01:49 PM

For your amusement: http://www.discogs.com/sell/item/278083717?ev=bp_det
Another one from the seller who I started this thread with has one without obi for 2250 euro.
*slow clap*