VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Jan 28, 2009, 07:38 AM
VGMdb Advisor

The full staff listing is on the Booklet 7 Scan, if anyone wants to translate.

Too bad only a few of the tracks are Live versions, if the whole thing was live it would have really upped this into A+ territory.
Old Jan 28, 2009, 07:45 AM
VGMdb Administrator

Added Ann Sally to the composer list (for track 23). I'll leave the instrumentalists to someone else...
Old Oct 27, 2013, 10:40 PM

NNTK...NWTK

Last edited by emuxer; Nov 11, 2013 at 07:33 AM.
Old Nov 4, 2013, 01:22 AM

So, "Professor Layton and the Unwound Future" is the localized US title and "Professor Layton and the Lost Future" is the localized EU title, but why we use "Professor Layton and the Last Time Travel", which seems to be just a direct translation? Has VGMdb privately changed its principle regarding title to use unofficial translations? (perhaps so, considering nobody is vocal about this).
Old Nov 4, 2013, 01:41 AM
VGMdb Staff

Just kill it with fire
Old Nov 5, 2013, 06:54 AM

NNTK...NWTK

Old Nov 5, 2013, 07:54 AM
Trusted Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedille View Post
(perhaps so, considering nobody is vocal about this).
I'm vocal about it but I'm in the minority. The standards for display title are stupid to begin with, loosely (at best) applied and loosely (at best) enforced. It's been argued and debated here and there but it's still grossly inconsistent across editors and contributors. It straight up needs to be a personal preference which one you want displayed. Defaulting to a specific field that has arbitrary standards is terrible.

My biggest gripe with it came when adding all the Ghibli soundtracks. No one wants to see "Kurenai no buta" or "gake no ue no Ponyo" as the display. If they do, a preference would solve that. I (and almost every else) likely want to see English. Localization, if one exists, translation if one doesn't, romaji if those don't exist and Japanese if none exist.

It is a simple solution to give the users control over the display. It's not a simple implementation, though. But it's much, much better than the "system" we have now.
Old Nov 5, 2013, 08:12 AM
VGMdb Staff

Well, pretty much this, but games and animations that aren't localized, should NOT have unofficial translation among the album titles. That's one thing we've been trying to enforce although a lot of the older albums have unofficial translation still displayed.
Here's what I mean: if Sen to Chihiro no Kamikakushi hasn't been officially localized as Spirited Away, unofficial translation shouldn't be accepted on any title line. e.g. maybe something like Spiriting away of Sen and Chihiro. That is for album title. As far as track names go (in the tracklist of course), we apparently accept any unofficial translation (if official one aka localized doesn't exist).

Either way, localized English titles should always be present on album title lines (on alternative or display line) because only then search will pick these albums up if someone tries to find them using localized title.
Old Nov 5, 2013, 08:16 AM

NNTK...NWTK

Old Nov 5, 2013, 09:55 AM
VGMdb Staff

This album has rather interesting edit history
http://vgmdb.net/db/albums-history.php?id=10925
Even one official localization title was deleted earlier (Professor Layton and the Lost Future). As to why I've put localized English as the display here specifically, you could say I didn't want to break the flow: also a staff member had set the localized title much earlier (2010) but then again a staff member also put even earlier unofficial translation, probably when the unofficial product translations were OK and the whole VGMdb was still very "young" (I guess).

So in the end, quite colorful

(forgot to say this was a reply to emuxer's post from this thread about Layton, thought this was better place for continuation)

Last edited by Efendija; Nov 5, 2013 at 12:16 PM.
Old Nov 5, 2013, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emuxer View Post
So let me get this straight, here at VGMdb if a title has no translation, the American name is used instead? Then it's OK if I change all Ryuuko no Ken and Garou Densetsu entries as Art of Fighting and Fatal Fury?
If a release has only a Japanese name, as soon as an American release of the game appears, then the Display name should change to that name instead of romaji or translation?
If so, then hundreds of entries must be changed.
I think you're kinda missing my point; what I was talking about was whether unofficial titles were okay to add, not the priority of titles. Speaking of Ryuko no Ken and Garou Densetsu, wouldn't you mind using titles like "Fists of Dragon and Tiger" or "The Legend of Hungry Tigers"? How about "Legend of Holly Sword" to Seiken Densetsu? They still could be something instead of no English name, but in this case, we already had two titles in English that people might be more familiar with.

After removing all the translations altogether for 3 years (believing it has started in 2010), I found it odd to see one particular translation make it to the title lines, but if the current submitter group thought it was fine (that's maybe why nobody chimed in until me), I didn't intend to argue further or poke my head to get hated.
Old Nov 5, 2013, 04:03 PM

NNTK...NWTK

Last edited by emuxer; Nov 11, 2013 at 07:34 AM.
Old Nov 5, 2013, 04:09 PM

without forgetting the most of people here are not american or english natives and that names which could be familiar for them could not be for europeans, indians, asians, etc.
not all english localized games have the same names as their "foreign cousins"

example: seiken densetsu (jp), ffa (us), mystic quest (eu)
honestly, will vgmdb continue in that discriminatory way?
Old Nov 6, 2013, 02:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emuxer View Post
Art of Fighting and Fatal Fury are names that people are more familiar with too.
Like Myrkul said, the best way to avoid all this confusion in this release and many, many others is to use the Romaji name and localization names as alternate. If done so, when someone makes a search with the familiar names, it will still pop, just it's been always. However, using the Romaji Name as Display Name makes the database more accurate. But if the accuracy is not as important as to make the site and pages familiar using English language, then you must change the Ryuuko and Garou series to Art of Fighting and Fatal Fury as display names.
I still feel like we're not quite talking on the same topic. Maybe although you're quoting mine, you're rather speaking to the site people than me.

For what it's worth, I don't care about whatever title being set as a display title despite my preference, since the system itself is flawed (the notion of having one display title, not as a title's attribute is a bad design). On the condition that they're official or romanized titles, of course. And the site staffs are almost always just executing something based on a consensus or a rule of thumb, not being vindictive or mean to somebody, so no need to take it seriously.
Old Nov 6, 2013, 04:56 AM
VGMdb Staff
VGM Artist

I am not really debating the whole "title problem"...
But the Secret of Mana album have been called Seiken Densetsu 2 OSV for years, i don't get why it is different for this entry and franchise.
Romaji should be the displayed title.
Old Nov 6, 2013, 05:21 AM
VGMdb Staff

Layton soundtracks all have set localized English album titles also for years, Myrkul.

IMO, this is a pretty much pointless discussion caused by the very "display title" line. So in this regard I suppose I agree with the opinion that album titles should had been regulated on a personal preference basis, not as forcing it to be romanization or English (only with official, localized titles though) or whatever. Just as you have site viewing preferences ("default", "original", "romanized") the same could had been applied to album titles and the "display" title line didn't need to exist at all. And it's too late for any change in the database in this matter, so again, whatever.
Old Nov 6, 2013, 06:19 AM

let me ask a question:

this album title is the one from the cover
レイトン教授と最後の時間旅行 オリジナル・サウンドトラック

so among the following titles, which one is the closest of the original title?
1/ Professor Layton and the Unwound Future Original Soundtrack
2/ Layton-kyouju to Saigo no Jikan Ryokou Original Soundtrack
3/ Professor Layton and the Lost Future Original Soundtrack

(it could sound like a poll but it's not -maybe ;p)
Old Nov 6, 2013, 06:26 AM
VGMdb Staff

^ You haven't given enough options because the closest one is surely レイトン教授と最後の時間旅行 オリジナル・サウンドトラック. The closest one but not exactly right because we can't imitate the font If we forget the font, this one is surely the closest.
Old Nov 6, 2013, 06:37 AM

mein Gott -_-
you didn't get my point or you just try lame sarcasm? (don't answer, I know the answer)
Old Nov 6, 2013, 06:42 AM
VGMdb Staff

Боже мој, if you know the answer, why do you ask? (no need to answer)
Old Nov 6, 2013, 10:44 AM
Trusted Editor

Might be a stupid question, but where does the 'the Lost Future' come from, isn't '最後の時間旅行' more like 'the Last Time Travel'?

And I'm ok with this title being in english with localized name, if translated name will be shown also on the title options. For me, stuff like these are best to deal case by case, so there would be stuff like this and then Seiken Densetsu etc.
Old Nov 6, 2013, 10:59 AM

european release, it's on product page
Old Nov 7, 2013, 03:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efendija View Post

Either way, localized English titles should always be present on album title lines (on alternative or display line) because only then search will pick these albums up if someone tries to find them using localized title.
so why did you remove the english title from spice and wolf osts? (things that nextday added back, not as display tho)
(note that it has been localized but that spice and wolf is an official title)
Old Nov 7, 2013, 04:35 AM
VGMdb Staff

Oh sweet, now someone edited something in Spice & Wolf 1 OST and P switches to detective mode.

Because unofficial translation of that other part which isn't the anime title itself - Ookami to Tabi no Ongaku / Shiawase de ari Tsudzukeru Monogatari is rather questionable (again, because it is unofficial). Yes, "other parts" of title are allowed to be unofficially translated, but to what extent? That rule is not so clear. These cases are not simple things like ongakuhen -> music collection etc. These 'subtitles' belong exclusively to albums (as a music only product relation, you could say) but is it really OK to translate it unofficially? We don't want unofficial translation of the product itself on a franchise level, but what does make these album subtitles special so they can be unofficially translated? That matter is just as complex as not allowing unofficial translation of games & anime, IMO. Strictly speaking, music album is also a product; who gave us the permission to translate the title fully? Just because they're just that - album specific so it's fine to throw in an unofficial translation? If it is OK, why is it OK? If it's not, why it isn't? Now someone will say it's fine of course, maybe someone'll say hmm is it? Do you really think I'm expecting opinion unison here at VGMdb?

I'm even saying it's OK to be 'Spice and Wolf O.S.T. ~ Ookami to Tabi no Ongaku' just to make a distinction between what's officially translated and what's not.

And I'm not saying what I did there was right. Also I'm not saying it was wrong

If you want to continue discussion about Spice & Wolf, use the appropriate threads for those albums and not this place.

Last edited by Efendija; Nov 7, 2013 at 04:46 AM.
Old Nov 7, 2013, 05:25 AM

I was just curious why the title was romaji whereas I remember submitting with english, that's all
and I remember your words in this thread

if I used an english title, that's because I don't like mixing english/etc. with romaji
I don't like romaji + Music Collection (for example)
so I preferred a whole translation related to spice and wolf (official title, I don't speak about localization since I don't care)

but basically, I'm rather for having romaji titles instead of translated ones (when I can avoid translated)

edit: "switches to detective mode" in a professor layton thread, as if it hadn't its place ;p

Last edited by Phonograph; Dec 29, 2017 at 02:32 PM.