VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Aug 27, 2011, 11:47 AM

Added a scan of a page at the end of the instruction booklet that was dedicated to this bonus music CD. I didn't think it was necessary to add higher resolution scans of the front / disc images though. Also, added the catalog number in the format we used for the Lunar: Silver Star Story Complete Music Soundtrack. However, unlike in that entry, I didn't add the catalog number to the disc itself (the field under the Disc ID). Neither of these catalog numbers actually refers to the disc and we should probably remove the copy-paste in that field from the Lunar entry as well.
Old Aug 27, 2011, 12:04 PM

Why Sony Playstation was selected? I know the ports had different music, and that's what this album contained?
Old Aug 27, 2011, 12:11 PM

maybe because the bonus cd was available with the ps version, no?
Old Aug 27, 2011, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phonograph View Post
maybe because the bonus cd was available with the ps version, no?
This has nothing to do with how we decide the platform. If someone can listen to and check the music, and it's the same as the original, please change the platform.
Old Aug 27, 2011, 01:16 PM
VGMdb Staff

Yeah, the music for the PSX ports (and this CD) are the same as the original SNES music.
Old Aug 27, 2011, 01:19 PM

The waveforms are different, but to the ear they're the same (at least, to me). I will say that when I played this Playstation port of these two games, the audio was very noticeably different - specifically, lesser quality on the Playstation ports. It's as if the sound emulation didn't quite transfer perfectly from the SNES to the PSX (I remember some sound effects being odd as well).

For this CD, I really don't know what you want to do as far as categorizing it. To be honest, it seems beyond weird to classify this as SNES when it's obviously a Playstation game, but if you guys have your standards, then you know what's best

Last edited by Hellacia; Aug 27, 2011 at 01:23 PM.
Old Aug 27, 2011, 01:21 PM
Trusted Editor

Really don't understand why this doesn't have Playstation in the formats, especially when this cd did come alongside the playstation ports of the games.

But perhaps someone can tell me that in simple english.
Old Aug 27, 2011, 01:49 PM
VGMdb Advisor

The way I understand it, the platforms/games normally refer to the album (music) itself, not how it was packaged/obtained.

If like Hellacia says the PSX FF ports sound a bit different, but this album sounds only like the Snes version, platform = Snes (ie.- 'you can't hear the PSX versions here').

Ie.- this FF Box includes music from the GBA versions of FF4-6. The Snes music may be the original, but what you hear there is GBA audio only, so the platform is just GBA.

In cases when the audio is identical (exact ports/emulations) you could include several platforms, but I personally think it's better to add only the original source platform. Otherwise you'd be adding Wii/Virtual Console and whatnot for every OST.

Hope that makes some sense.
Old Aug 27, 2011, 02:31 PM

What you explain makes sense... whether or not I agree on using that method is another thing
Old Aug 27, 2011, 03:49 PM

@razakin: ahah, I spoke about it on irc, thief =)

edit: platforms represented should maybe be simply changed and added to the products represented
someone had dropped the idea, time to update maybe?

Last edited by Phonograph; Aug 27, 2011 at 03:58 PM.
Old Aug 27, 2011, 05:53 PM

I forgot I owned this. Yeah, it came with the PSX port compilation "Final Fantasy Anthology"; thus that's the product that is represented. I remember there being a difference in sample quality which is hard to put into words unless you do a side-by-side comparison.
Old Aug 27, 2011, 10:37 PM

Much was explained, while I was asleep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razakin View Post
Really don't understand why this doesn't have Playstation in the formats, especially when this cd did come alongside the playstation ports of the games.
Publishers would normally bundle a soundtrack with the game which the source of the soundtrack comes from, but technically they could do it with anything else. We won't go with "Nintendo DS", if the NES FFIII soundtrack were enclosed in the DS FFIII game package, for instance.

If I remember it correctly,

PSX IV = using streamed audio, thus sounds the same as SNES
PSX V, VI = using sequenced audio, thus sounds different than SNES

And if this album contains recordings from the SNES soundtracks, but not the PSX port music, then we should go with "SNES", as otherwise somebody expects to hear the PSX port music here (if any) would be misled.
Old Aug 28, 2011, 12:57 AM

when I saw that thing about that album, I was wondering if other albums could be in the same case
and I thought of ff i-ii ps, the sound is the same as the wonderswan color or it has been changed? (I never played the wsc version, so I can't say for sure)
iirc, that ps ver is the port of the wsc ver

Last edited by Phonograph; Aug 28, 2011 at 01:36 AM.
Old Aug 28, 2011, 04:53 AM

This album contains recordings from the PSX port!
Old Aug 28, 2011, 09:54 AM

Oh, does it really? I couldn't tell just by listening, but like I said, the waveforms are different. If you can tell, you have a good ear, Jormungand.
Old Aug 28, 2011, 10:25 AM

I might have to rip the tracks and confirm. If I can find the CD that is...
Old Aug 28, 2011, 12:27 PM
VGMdb Staff

Hmm, maybe my ears are not good enough but I for one can't hear any difference between this disc and the OSV's (I re-checked just now).

So assuming there's no significant [one large enough for someone to be able to prefer one over the other, I guess] difference between the SNES and PSX versions I guess this is the same as the NES/Virtual Console case Dag mentioned earlier.
Old Jul 31, 2021, 02:05 AM

Did we ever find out the composer for the new music in the PSX port FMVs of FF5 and FF6? Possibly Nobuo Uematsu himself (who was still with the company at that point), or maybe Tsuyoshi Sekito who handled the FF1 and FF2 PSX arrangements?

The remake staff credits make no mention of any composer/arranger, neither do the game manuals.
Old Aug 3, 2021, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zierts View Post
or maybe Tsuyoshi Sekito who handled the FF1 and FF2 PSX arrangements?
This is almost certainly the answer.
Old Aug 3, 2021, 07:28 PM

Sekito only did FFII I thought
Old Aug 4, 2021, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aifread View Post
Sekito only did FFII I thought
Oh, I had no idea this was the case! I researched this a bit more, will post the results in the other thread.

I guess the FMVs for FF5 and FF6 were done in-house at Square, so we can probably rule out Tose employees writing the music for these. Sekito also provided music for the PlayStation port of Chrono Trigger (November 1999) which was released 8 months after the FF6 port (March 1999). And he doesn't seem to have had a whole lot on his plate in 1999. The only thing that doesn't fit is that he would have been busy with Brave Fencer Musashi up to the release of the FF5 port (March 1998).

Edit: About whether this uses the SNES or PSX music (see a similar case here). You could check easily by listening to "Slam Shuffle" (the bass is rather subdued in the PSX version) and "Kids Run Through the City" (which sounds strangely out of tune in the PSX version). Add to that the general lack of reverb applied to the samples in the port.

Last edited by zierts; Aug 19, 2023 at 11:50 PM.