VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Apr 14, 2009, 01:51 PM

So, the catalog number is listed as KICA-5033~5. I'm figuring this means Disc 01 is 5033, disc 02 is 5034, and disc 03 is 5035. (Going off similar patterns i've seen before)

That said then, what's the catalog number for disc 04? Is it just a bonus disc and doesn't have one?

Any help + thoughts on this would be appreciated, thanks. =)
Old May 2, 2009, 03:47 AM

Btw, shouldn't track 16 and 18 be named differently?
Old May 2, 2009, 04:47 AM
VGMdb Administrator

They should. Thanks for catching that.
Old May 2, 2009, 05:34 AM
VGMdb Advisor

As for disc 4, it's a bonus (mini?) cd with preview songs for Persona 2, so I guess it doesn't count. I found this on gamefaqs, but who knows how accurate is:

Quote:
Q: The second MIP soundtrack has FOUR discs?!
A: It does. The fourth disc is only included in a later re-release of the soundtrack. It contains five tracks from the (then) up coming game Persona 2: Innocent Sin.
I also tweaked some tracks (for the better I hope). Like Karma -> Kama since given the context it makes more sense, even though the US version used Karma.
Old Mar 7, 2010, 02:49 PM

I made some changes. I changed all instances of "City" to "Ward", because that's better terminology than "City" (there's only one city in the game). I've also changed "Sebec" and "Sebek" to "SEBEC" (since it's an acronym for Saeki Electronics & Biological & Energy Corporation).

Also, track 3-18 seems to be mislabeled as a battle track, despite actually being a dungeon track. I didn't change it, though, because it's also labeled that in the booklet.
Old Sep 22, 2010, 07:59 PM

The platform was changed to PC, but was the content of this soundtrack from the PC port in particular? I couldn't find any confirmation on that. I don't know how the PC port sounded like - a PC game of that day might still have used the MIDI each user owned, but it's also likely it featured streamed music. Would anybody willing to tell if there is a notable difference between this and the PSX in-game audio?

Also, this entry has "Persona: Be Your True Mind." (it needs a dot) as the product. I don't think the PC port is particularity called "Persona: Be Your True Mind.". Or rather, this "Be Your True Mind." thing doesn't look like to me something Atlus and the majority of Japanese game community have ever treated as the subtitle of the game; it's just "Megami Ibunroku Persona" instead, while the manga adaption was apparently often called with this subtitle. So I wonder if we should remove this from the product name.

As for the album title, it's certainly on the front cover so it might be valid to stay there, but it's on that of the OST & AST, as well as the package of the original PS game. In this case, I'm inclined to think "Be Your True Mind." is just a tagline or such that I wouldn't include in the title. What's tricky about this is that the two Persona 2 games were also similarly entitled ("Innocent sin." and "Eternal Punishment.") and one of them later became the official subtitle of the English localized version, but even the two game have their own subtitles in Japanese.

I'd change the titles of this album to
Quote:
Display: Megami Ibunroku Persona Original Soundtracks
Original: 女神異聞録ペルソナ オリジナルサンドトラックス
Romaji: Blank
Alternate: Revelations: Persona Original Soundtracks
I'd remove 完全盤 (literally, "Complete Collection") because it's not on the scans we currently have. "Persona: Be Your True Mind. Original Soundtracks" could fit the second alternate line, considering the number of websites that call this album in that way, but I assume that's mostly because Chudah's Corner have listed this album as such for long.

Last edited by Cedille; Sep 23, 2010 at 12:54 AM.
Old Sep 23, 2010, 12:51 AM
VGMdb Advisor

I'd drop the PC platform. Product releases for that info.

The booklet just has "PERSONA ORIGINAL SOUNDTRACKS" so I'd go with that. 完全盤 can be dropped too.

I for one think the product's stylished logo/subtitles != album titles (from obis, etc). Other examples I don't agree with: A, B.
Also if you follow 100% the JP in the logo it's actually "Megami Ibunroku ~Persona~" and obviously Persona isn't a subtitle, I don't think we want that.

I guess "Megami Ibunroku: Persona" is meant to be the JP title while "Persona: Be Your True Mind" is the official EN title, so both could be valid (for the game/product). Same with P2 Tsumi/IS.
Old Sep 23, 2010, 03:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dag View Post
I'd drop the PC platform. Product releases for that info.
Well, I personally think the platform should include PC, if this soundtrack is for the PC port (I just wondered if it was the case, since the product was PC only, until I later added Persona 2 and its platform). If this soundtrack is from the original PS game, maybe dropping PC as you suggested (although I think it's fine to add the platform of a port, as long as it sounds the same). I'm not familiar with the game and the soundtrack.

Quote:
I for one think the product's stylished logo/subtitles != album titles (from obis, etc). Other examples I don't agree with: A, B.
Yeah, since the album title isn't a cut-and-dry matter, we should decide it on a case-by-case basis and respect and listen to other opinions (which I usually try to do at my hardest) without an indirect personal attack.

Quote:
I guess "Megami Ibunroku: Persona" is meant to be the JP title while "Persona: Be Your True Mind" is the official EN title, so both could be valid (for the game/product). Same with P2 Tsumi/IS.
We already have "Revelations: Persona" for the English title, but as for Persona 2: Tumi, it was never localized (because of Nazi...really?) so perhaps using "Innocent sin." is fine (although I just changed the product name on this very entry, thinking it was yet another Nocturne in the Moonlight...).
Old Sep 23, 2010, 03:33 AM
VGMdb Advisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedille View Post
If this soundtrack is from the original PS game, maybe dropping PC as you suggested (although I think it's fine to add the platform of a port, as long as it sounds the same).
Well. I was under the impression this was just the complete OST for the PSX game. But it has been a while so I'll have to recheck.

Quote:
Yeah, since the album title isn't a cut-and-dry matter, we should decide it on a case-by-case basis and respect and listen to other opinions (which I usually try to do at my hardest) without an indirect personal attack.
Sorry if it sounded like a personal attack. I definitely wasn't trying to make one . I used previous instances we disagree to avoid repeating my points in this thread, as if trying to convince you again. I agree in case by case and accept the majority. Just my opinion logos aren't to be taken too seriously generally.

Quote:
We already have "Revelations: Persona" for the English title, but as for Persona 2: Tumi, it was never localized (because of Nazi...really?) so perhaps using "Innocent sin." is fine.
Well I don't mind either way. I assume Innocent Sin is more popular in the west since its written in the logo.
Old Aug 10, 2012, 11:36 AM

Glad to see this one so highly rated! For some reason I always had the impression that it was never popular with people. A fabulous album, mostly due to Hidehito Aoki. I hope he can rest in peace knowing that so many people still love his music!
Old Aug 10, 2012, 02:11 PM
Trusted Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raziel View Post
Glad to see this one so highly rated! For some reason I always had the impression that it was never popular with people. A fabulous album, mostly due to Hidehito Aoki. I hope he can rest in peace knowing that so many people still love his music!
I love his stuff he did for Majin Tensei and the dungeon themes he did here. It's better than Persona 2's soundtracks, for sure.
Old Jul 20, 2021, 11:41 PM

It's kind of weird that 3.19 was the only track that didn't get a real title, not sure why it's listed as " 汎用BGM-B" when there isn't even a " 汎用BGM-A."
Edit: it looks like there are a small handful of unreleased tracks so that might explain the "B" in the Generic BGM. If I were to make a guess I'd say this would likely have been "Generic BGM-A"

Last edited by BlazingAbyss; Jul 25, 2021 at 02:29 AM.