VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Nov 4, 2020, 08:21 PM

I guess this goes without saying, but can't we treat these as official translations to the original Japanese soundtrack? https://vgmdb.net/album/2703

But can someone who truly understands 日本語 compare and clarify that the two correlate accurately without any significant compromise?

'Floating Lantern' just seems weird to me.
Old Nov 4, 2020, 08:40 PM

流燈 seems to be a Chinese term for this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_Lantern#East_Asia

Quote:
It has many names, depending on the water bodies in which the lanterns are discharged, such as 水燈 (water lantern), 流燈 (floating lantern), 河灯, 江燈 (river lantern), 湖燈 (lake lantern), 水燈頭 (water lantern head), and 照冥.
Looks good to me. I imagine they chose to use a borrowed Chinese term over the native Japanese 灯籠流し to evoke the era of the game's setting.

Last edited by Aifread; Nov 4, 2020 at 09:02 PM.
Old Nov 11, 2020, 09:15 PM

Okay. Thanks! How about this one?

34 The Story Continues [from Bakumatsu Roman Gekka no Kenshi ~EN~]

...doesn't seem to match:
34 終演 (End of Performance?) [from Bakumatsu Roman Gekka no Kenshi ~JP~]

...and neither seem to match:
34 Revival [from The Last Blade Original Soundtrack]
Old Nov 12, 2020, 06:41 AM

Ordinarily I'd say neither of those match, except that after double checking the scans it seems our Japanese tracklist is wrong (no one ever checks these and so we end up with incorrect translations for years). Page one of the booklet clearly says 続演 for track 34, not 終演.

続演, according to Japanese-Japanese dictionaries on the web, is the continuation of a show or adding more showings due to popular demand. I think they're using "Revival" in the theatrical sense (a theme the whole soundtrack seems to follow), as in "the 2012 revival of Death of a Salesman." It's not exactly the same meaning but it seems a tricky one to get succinctly in English.
Old Nov 13, 2020, 09:55 PM

I see.

Thanks for your investigation, Aifread! I went ahead and compared our tracklisting with this one and everything else seems to match.

Once I'm done retagging my albums I'll check out Last Blade 2.