VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Jan 12, 2010, 09:06 PM

Last edited by Prime Blue; Mar 31, 2012 at 09:14 AM.
Old Jan 12, 2010, 10:04 PM
VGMdb Staff

I guess it's a philosophical question about what is "correct". Basically, is it correct to name the track "Stalker" if the album calls is "Starker". In my opinion that's not the correct thing to do, like it or not, that is what the track is called here and it's not up to us to decide that it should be otherwise. But of course how a third party makes use of the information provided is entirely up to that person.
Old Jan 12, 2010, 11:37 PM

Last edited by Prime Blue; Mar 31, 2012 at 09:14 AM.
Old Jan 14, 2010, 03:03 PM
VGMdb Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime Blue View Post
Just wanted a clarification on that.

Though I still think that there should be some kind of visual indication that there's a misspelling in the tracklist, a different color for the track title or something like that.
This topic probably deserves to be discussed more in-depth, to see what other people think of it and to see what pro's/con's there are. I like the 'different color' idea, and it's something that could be used in other cases as well (e.g. hidden tracks).
Old Jan 14, 2010, 03:15 PM
VGMdb Administrator

We are gearing up to present more information at the track level, so I'm also all for some kind of indication of a tracklist printing error.
Old Mar 5, 2010, 10:56 AM

in this particular case, I would argue that "starker" on the japanese tracklist on the case is romanji, and thus should be translated in the english listing as "stalker", rather than thinking of it as correcting a spelling error
Old Mar 6, 2010, 11:59 AM

Isn't this going to be confusing, colors and footnotes and whatnot? If we have the actual scans, I would personally just correct the misspellings without any kind of notifications.

The case of Japanese misspellings is the most complex, I agree, can be discussed, but tracklists with hyphens or dots or just spaces misplaced... most of these errors are just obvious, it's just common sense to correct them when typing the tracklist in the system.

Then again for major errors (e.g. Chace HQ), a footnote is more than enough, IMO.
Old Nov 24, 2010, 12:26 AM
VGMdb Advisor
VGM Artist

Lots of notes for this one. Excellent! Kudos to whomever typed them up.
Old Mar 7, 2011, 08:33 PM

Is it possible for anybody to translate the recording staff credits on the last page of the booklet? Or alternatively can anybody find a link that already lists the names?
Old Mar 7, 2011, 09:40 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max View Post
Is it possible for anybody to translate the recording staff credits on the last page of the booklet? Or alternatively can anybody find a link that already lists the names?
Producer: Fujio Sakai (境 富士雄)
Produce, Composition & Art Director: Konami Kukeiha Club (コナミ矩形波倶楽部)
Director: Jun Otsuki (大槻 淳)
Recorded & Mixed at: STUDIO YOU (Suita, Osaka)
Engineers: Shigeru Yamamoto (山本 茂) (YOU), Takao Suga (須賀 孝男)
Mastering Engineer: Akira Ando (安藤 明)
Designer: Yoshinobu Yamaguchi (山口 義信) (works D)
Special Thanks to: 山下章 (Akira Yamashita?), all Konami fans (コナミファンのみなさん)
Old Mar 8, 2011, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHz View Post
Producer: Fujio Sakai (境 富士雄)
Produce, Composition & Art Director: Konami Kukeiha Club (コナミ矩形波倶楽部)
Director: Jun Otsuki (大槻 淳)
Recorded & Mixed at: STUDIO YOU (Suita, Osaka)
Engineers: Shigeru Yamamoto (山本 茂) (YOU), Takao Suga (須賀 孝男)
Mastering Engineer: Akira Ando (安藤 明)
Designer: Yoshinobu Yamaguchi (山口 義信) (works D)
Special Thanks to: 山下章 (Akira Yamashita?), all Konami fans (コナミファンのみなさん)
wow thanks a lot!
Old Oct 12, 2011, 11:00 AM

In the discussion among the composers of Akumajo Densetsu in the liner notes, Jun Funahashi says [as a dog...] that he composed the 1st and boss themes. I think that means the first stage theme and the main boss theme.
Old Jan 29, 2016, 09:15 PM

There's a funny thing with Simon's Quest artwork on the front cover here. I'm sure you have noticed that the castle background has been replaced by a plain blue background.

I haven't seen any proof or official information as to why (if you have, please share!), but this was most likely done either:
- To avoid legal actions by Wizards of the Coast (as the background is an obvious copy of the Ravenloft's game artwork module).
- As a consequence of complaints and/or legal actions already taken by Wizards of the Coast.

Originally though, the blue background was purple, and this is confirmed by several magazine ads and other promotional items. One magazine is dated end April 1990 and still shows the purple background, so it must have been a late change.

It's clearly purple and not a wrong printing or some kind of negative/black and white effect, as the colours on Castlevania and Dracula's Curse match the final cover of the album.

Old Oct 30, 2016, 09:33 AM

Ha ha he, I wonder about that kind of thing now and then, since so many old video games blatantly copied artwork. The early castlevania games themselves are full of copied background elements but I suppose that is less obvious than something right on the box.
The purple here is very obvious, even at the small size, so tweaking it was a good idea. I didn't even NOTICE the background was gone until I read this, although maybe when you hold the actual thing you become more aware of it.
I wonder why Konami didn't just superimpose this Simon Belmont in front of box art for Castlevania Adventure, if they already had the figure resource with transparency behind it.
Old Nov 5, 2016, 07:22 PM

Yeah it feels strange to have character + brackground for CV1 and 3 and the just a plain Simon floating on a purple/blue background for CV2.

Although I'm not sure it would be a good idea to mix characters and backgrounds from different games, so they had no choice but to use a plain colour or make a new background.
Old Jun 30, 2018, 09:48 PM

Urgh!

Why does every version of the Castlevania I soundtrack pollute Walking on the Edge with sound effects?

It's heard on this album, it's heard on this tape, and it's heard on this digital release.

Is this the only track on this album with sfx?

Also, does Dracula Best Music Collection Box have sfx on this track as well?
Old Jul 1, 2018, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi QuestMaster View Post
Urgh!

Why does every version of the Castlevania I soundtrack pollute Walking on the Edge with sound effects?

It's heard on this album, it's heard on this tape, and it's heard on this digital release.

Is this the only track on this album with sfx?

Also, does Dracula Best Music Collection Box have sfx on this track as well?
Unfortunately, yes, the version from the Box set has sound effects, too. I think just about every version of the Castlevania I soundtrack Konami has released is really the same recording recycled for a new release.

FAMICOM 20TH ANNIVERSARY ORIGINAL SOUND TRACKS VOL. 3, though, wasn't released by Konami, and it's a different recording, without any sound effects. You only get one loop, though.
Old Sep 15, 2020, 12:57 PM

I still pray for a complete composer breakdown of the Dracula's Curse soundtrack. And are we sure Satoe Terashima and Kouji Murata didn't compose any of Simon's Quest? We know "Bloody Tears" is Matsubara, but what else is his on Haunted Castle, and which tracks might be by Ikariko? And who the hell could "T" be?
So many questions!
Old Sep 16, 2020, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valrahk View Post
I think just about every version of the Castlevania I soundtrack Konami has released is really the same recording recycled for a new release.
You liar! Konami would never do that!

More seriously, if they recycled the old track from 1990 in the 2010 box thing... woah. Lazy.
Old Nov 11, 2022, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsertDankMemeHere View Post
I still pray for a complete composer breakdown of the Dracula's Curse soundtrack. And are we sure Satoe Terashima and Kouji Murata didn't compose any of Simon's Quest? We know "Bloody Tears" is Matsubara, but what else is his on Haunted Castle, and which tracks might be by Ikariko? And who the hell could "T" be?
So many questions!
I have nothing concrete to follow up on the recent Haunted Castle bits which you have already commented on. But I'd like to point out that "Dwelling of Doom" sounds very close in style to Terashima's confirmed contributions to the original Castlevania. The others I'm really not sure about. In any case, Castlevania 2 really sounds like a proper sequel to the first game.
Old Nov 16, 2022, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenofan 29A View Post
In the discussion among the composers of Akumajo Densetsu in the liner notes, Jun Funahashi says [as a dog...] that he composed the 1st and boss themes. I think that means the first stage theme and the main boss theme.
So Funahashi did "Beginning" and "Boss Fight" from track 3.

Yukie Morimoto says in the otherwise rather insubstantial liner notes: "I was able to play to my strengths with classical elements and film music-like creations, so I'm really happy with the result."

That would make her a hot contender for composer of the following:

Track 3:
Prelude
Prayer

Track 4:
Destiny
Clockwork

Track 6:
Nightmare
Encounter

Track 9:
Evergreen
Flash Back

As usual for Konami, not a confirmation, though.
Old Feb 27, 2024, 06:59 PM

<< Track 2 comes straight from the arcade Akumajo Dracula (Haunted Castle). It's called "arrange" since it's a new version of Bloody Tears which was originally composed for Simon's Quest. >>

I'm just curious if track 2 in this album is a re-recording or not, since it is longer than the track found on Konami Game Music Collection Vol. 1 (1:18 vs. 0:47).
Old Mar 1, 2024, 07:09 PM

The tracks sound like they could be sourced from the same recording (both soundtracks were from King Record, after all). However, even if they are, they are definitely mastered a bit differently. The Konami Game Music Collection Vol. 1 track is leaning heavier on the basses, it seems.
Old Mar 2, 2024, 08:14 PM

That's interesting. It's puzzling that they didn't mention anywhere that it's from Haunted Castle.

On a different topic, has anyone around here seen a sample version of this album? Did early KICA releases even had sample versions printed?

The only early KICA sample I've seen is for Dracula Best 2, but it was a prize give-away, so it's actually a different print, not really a sample.