VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Miscellaneous Discussion
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Sep 14, 2016, 01:58 AM

Default Xenosaga worth playing?

Fellow vgm fans,

Just recently I acquired the Xenosaga OST. To this day I refrained myself from listening to it, waiting for the moment that I would sit down and play the game. This decision was made 11 years ago after I played Xenogears (one of my favorite games and OST's of all time). Xenogears blew my mind back then and opened me to gnosticism and other mystic streams (making me realize Xenogears wasn't thát sci-fi).

I don't game anymore but I still have love for fleshed out gaming worlds with ambitious stories and great soundtracks. So now is the moment, either I just pop in the CD and start enjoying or I wait till I become a grandpa to try out Xenosaga and hear the music.

Anybody wanna chime on whether Xenosaga is up to the same standards as Xenogears?

Edit: I'm not planning on playing ep. 2 and 3

Last edited by yvk2000; Sep 14, 2016 at 02:00 PM.
Old Sep 14, 2016, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yvk2000 View Post
Xenogears blew my mind back then
You and many others. It's really the RPG of RPGs. It (along with BSG) completely changed my entertainment preference from fantasy to sci-fi--and yet so few works of fiction measure up.

Quote:
fleshed out gaming worlds with ambitious stories
That's definitely Xenosaga, despite its troubled production (Namco Bandai's fault).

Quote:
Anybody wanna chime on whether Xenosaga is up to the same standards as Xenogears?
No, but that's an unfair standard to try and measure up to. Xenosaga, as a completely trilogy, is written in the same tenor and scope as Xenogears, even if it's not as thoroughly evocative.

Quote:
Edit: I'm not planning on playing ep. 2 and 3
You really should.

I feel the series isn't worth investing in unless you experience it as a complete trilogy. It's true that Episode 2 is garbage, that key staff were not invited back after Episode 1, that half the music in Ep.2 and most of the music in Ep.3 is a joking afterthought following Mitsuda's Ep.1 score (which itself isn't close to his best work), and that the trilogy was not completed as intended.

That said, Ep.3 is wonderful, and is a satisfactory conclusion to the overall story. You'll feel deeply endeared to the characters once the Ep.1 credits roll. Power through Ep.2, and enjoy the ridiculous but entertaining cutscenes (the opening is still one of the best of any RPG). Prepare a drink (or three) for boss battles. Slide into the smooth, perfectly-paced gameplay of Ep.3, finish the trilogy, and be left in awe at how a product this ambitious even got greenlit in the first place.

The story is what makes it worth it. And when you're done, you get yourself a Wii U and a copy of Xenoblade and XBX too, because they're also worth your time. Tetsuya Takahashi is perhaps the most consistently excellent RPG director there has ever been, alongside Yasumi Matsuno. He does not sacrifice his vision (though others have sacrificed it for him).

One point of interest for you: Katsuhiro Harada of Namco has stated he will "explore other avenues" to getting a Xenosaga HD collection greenlit. This, of course, is no guarantee. Just something to keep in mind.
Old Sep 15, 2016, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jormungand View Post
One point of interest for you: Katsuhiro Harada of Namco has stated he will "explore other avenues" to getting a Xenosaga HD collection greenlit. This, of course, is no guarantee. Just something to keep in mind.
Aah, I forgot I signed this petition just a few years back.

Would be great if they took a competent crew of arrangers to re-arrange whatever needs to be arranged (like how FFX HD got a very nice OST update). Then again, I can enjoy Kajiura once in a while (ehm..I remember actually liking that vocal of ep.II back then).

So... either I scrounge up a NTSC ps2 with the whole trilogy or I go for plan B (grow a few more gray hairs). In other words: your reply nearly helped me solve my dilemma, but then you wrote this last paragraph
Old Sep 16, 2016, 03:40 AM
Trusted Editor

I finished Episode I this week and while I don't know how Episode II and III are going to unfold, I very much agree with Jormungand here. If you've already decided that you don't want to play the other episodes, then it probably makes little sense to even start the trilogy.

My impression currently is that Episode I functions mostly as a exposition, i.e. introducing all the characters (playable, antagonists, etc.), the game world and parts of its history. It also sets some plot elements in motion, which I still don't have the foggiest where they're all going to end up.