VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Aug 26, 2019, 11:40 PM

Default Anyone ever buy CDs from this Ebay seller before?

Recently I was looking around for the Crusher Joe movie soundtracks, specifically the VICL-23058 & VICL-23057 releases. At the time of this post the later was available (used) on Amazon.JP, but the former was unlivable, all I could find was the original vinyl release (JBX-25012.) Regardless, I kept looking around and I eventually found them both Brand New from the seller "bearcwwong" on Ebay and I quickly purchased them. As far as I can tell everything they're selling does appear to be legitimate, however I wanted to get a couple second opinions just to be sure since there were a couple things I noticed that seemed odd.

The first thing I found a bit surprising was that both of the CDs were actually (relatively) low prices all things considered, Symphonic Suite goes for at least around $60 used, but i got it for only $45 brand new, the Music Collection went for a bit more ($70,) but considering I couldn't even find it anywhere else I'm surprised it didn't go for much more.

The second thing is relatively minor, but it struck me as odd that a Hong Kong seller was selling fairly rare Japanese items, I think this is actually what got my paranoia in the first place as the few bootleg products I have come across tended to be from either Hong Kong or Taiwan. However, nearly all bootleg CDs have some telltale sign on them which would indicate that they're not the genuine article and very, very few to my knowledge (the only ones I'm aware of are a RE: Code Veronica & MM: Legends/Dash one) still feature the original publishers on them. As far as I can see their item images do seem to show the proper copyrights and such on them. Granted, I can't compare anything outside of the booklet and obi since I couldn't find any images of the discs and such online, though to my knowledge, there doesn't appear to even be any Crusher Joe CD bootlegs, at least none that I could find.

Lastly, (and this is probably the oddest thing I came across while looking) I came across a Yahoo Auctions user named "Y8625513297" and I'm under the impression that they might be the same person as there were items listed there which featured the exact same images as those featured on bearcwwong's Ebay page. For Example, the Crusher Joe Music Collection previously featured their looked like this & the Yahoo one used the exact same images, both front and back. Even stranger is the Yahoo listing was $210 (which honestly, is more along the lines of what I'd expect it to cost brand new.) If it is the same person than I'd find it really bizarre that the listed prices would differ so drastically. I tried contacting bearcwwong in order to inquire if all his products were legitimate and if he was also Y8625513297 or not (since I was curious,) but I never got any reply which didn't really help my worries.

Regardless, I really do think that I'm just being being paranoid here, but I figured I'd post about it anyway, solely in the hopes of easing my suspensions.
Old Aug 27, 2019, 07:42 AM

Account was created in 2002 and he got only 24 reviews as seller since. That looks like a private account of a casual collector like many of us to me. I'd say you're overthinking this.
Old Aug 27, 2019, 12:18 PM
VGMdb Advisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Datschge View Post
Account was created in 2002 and he got only 24 reviews as seller since. That looks like a private account of a casual collector like many of us to me. I'd say you're overthinking this.
+1 on this.

I don't know the anime music prices, but seller has some fairly high-priced listings on the VGM. Riglord Saga 2 $100 isn't awful, and Dark Wizard Symphony $150 seems fair. But $100 for FSB'96 seems absurd to me.
Old Aug 27, 2019, 08:12 PM

Fair enough, I was under the impression that I was just overthinking it as well, but I feel better about it now that I've gotten some second opinions.
Old Aug 28, 2019, 02:21 AM

Is the Yahoo listing $210 USD or Hong Kong dollars?
Old Sep 4, 2019, 03:09 PM

Actually, now that you mention it, it probably is HKD. I wasn't aware that the "$" symbol was also used in Hong Kong, hence why I assumed it to be referring to USD.
Old Sep 4, 2019, 04:56 PM

i know this guy, he has a physical shop in hong kong
lots of sunfaded sides though, just to warn you (usually the side where the spinecard is)
Old Oct 1, 2019, 03:04 AM

The spines of the obis are white so I don't think they would've gotten too sunfaded, the rest of the two obis are yellow and purple respectively. They are lighter shades, but I can't say for certain if that's due to sunfading or not without something to compare them to. If they are then it doesn't look too bad, one doesn't look brighter/darker than the other or anything like that at least.

I think I've only ever come across one or two CDs where the the sunfading was bad enough for me to really notice. One was a Digipak which at the time I had two copies of, one's spine was a light blue-ish color while the other was a shade of green (though I can't recall if it was bright or dark green,) I'm not actually sure which was the original color though. The other was the obi of a brand new CD, the colors on the obi's spine were really faded on that one, but I digress.

Regardless, it's reassuring to hear that you're familiar with the seller though.