VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > VGMdb Site Related > Questions and Comments
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old Dec 26, 2007, 09:28 AM
VGMdb Administrator

Default Works - When does an artist merit the inclusion of Works albums in the database?

I'd like to open up some discussion on the "Works" category, or more specifically, a discussion on how we determine whether an artist is associated with game music closely enough to merit putting their discography into VGMdb. This was partially prompted by this artist, though it's been a source of confusion for a lot longer:

Joe McDermott

Visiting Joe's website more or less confirms that he's primarily a children's music composer, and VGM is an afterthought. What does everyone think about the inclusion of his kid's song releases?

The example that I always give on this topic is Trent Reznor. While he composed music for the Quake series, I would never consider him predominately as a VGM composer, and would say that the Nine Inch Nail discography should not be included on VGMdb (although it they ever released an album which contained a single Quake arrangement or remix, then that album would be eligible to include here).

Just to be fair, I should mention that there are a number of Japanese and Dojin artists who may also be questionable for inclusion of their works albums -- the Mintjam 2nd-5th Gigs come to mind.

Generally, we want to provide useful information, so I've been erring on the side of allowing more things to be included, while providing the user with adequate filtering to hide anything they consider non-essential, so I probably won't lobby for the removal of these albums, but I want to hear what the rest of our users think about this.