VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Apr 15, 2012, 11:17 AM

Default Turrican Anthology Soundtrack (Kickstarter)

Chris Hülsbeck contacted me a few weeks ago and asked me if he could use video footage of my Amiga Turrican longplays for an upcoming project - this project has now been announced:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...hris-huelsbeck
Come on guys - lets make this happen

Last edited by ScHlAuChi; Apr 15, 2012 at 11:47 AM. Reason: Fixed link
Old Apr 17, 2012, 04:30 PM

An email I got from synSONIQ records...

-- Chris Huelsbeck presents the "Turrican Soundtrack Anthology" project and fundraiser --

www.turricansoundtrack.com

Featuring a cosmic hero in a silver battlesuit, the "Turrican" series of games brought nonstop action to all gaming systems of the 80’s and 90’s. The beautiful synthesizer scores for these games were created by Chris Huelsbeck, arguably one of today’s most popular game music composers in the world. Huelsbeck’s soundtracks played a major role in shaping "Turrican" into a digital legend.

Almost 20 years have passed since the last game in the series was released, but Chris has big plans to bring "Turrican" back from retirement --at least musically-- with the production of the "Turrican Soundtrack Anthology": The idea behind this is an epic limited edition box set of at least three CDs, which will feature almost every melody from the saga in newly arranged and recorded versions. While this box set is bound to please every synthesizer music fan out there, new bonus recordings with the WDR Radio Orchestra are also lined up for the project, to be realised in the context of a new symphonic game music concert in November and supervised by the producers of the acclaimed "Symphonic Shades -- Huelsbeck in Concert" event and album.

In order to realize these ambitious plans, a budget of at least 75,000 US-Dollars (about 58,000 Euro) has to be secured. To achieve this, Chris Huelsbeck is now asking his fans to support him in a Kickstarter campaign to make the "Turrican Soundtrack Anthology" become a reality. "My first Turrican album has sold roughly 10.000 units over the years", Huelsbeck says. "I know that the games still have a following, too. This project is a personal dream of mine and I hope that together with all the fans, we can make this happen!"

Aside from the finished CDs, supporters of the project can get their hands on numerous goodies like posters, t-shirts, "Turrican" ringtones for their mobiles, or even tickets for an orchestral game music concert that will take place in November in Cologne, Germany. Those who are willing to support the project with a larger sum may take an exclusive look behind the scenes and will be personally informed by Chris about the progress during the production.

Detailed information on the campaign, running from April 16th to June 3rd, can be found at:
www.turricansoundtrack.com

Last edited by PerfectZer0; Apr 17, 2012 at 05:00 PM.
Old Apr 17, 2012, 04:53 PM

Good. The topics were merged!

Last edited by PerfectZer0; Apr 17, 2012 at 08:00 PM.
Old Apr 17, 2012, 06:59 PM

Cant mention it enough times

Maybe some admin can merge them
Old Apr 21, 2012, 01:49 AM

Oh my, this is exciting.
Old Apr 23, 2012, 09:13 PM

Location: Heaven? No no, what's that other place that starts with H? Oh yes, home. :-)

I'm really looking forward to this! In fact, seeing how consistently the funding is going and how much time is left, there's no way this can't happen!
Being the proud owner of the Number Nine: Chris Hülsbeck Vol. 9 soundtrack, I'm expecting nothing but greatness from this soundtrack anthology too.

And for the audiophiles out there...I know. We are a lonely bunch... Chris is also making the digital soundtrack available in FLAC format! He officially announced it in his update video. I think this is only for the $25 and above pledges.

Anyway, can't wait for this one!

One man was smart, he felt smart. Two men were smart, they smelt farrr...darn it! I'll never get it right.

What is "the box" that people are supposed to think outside of anyway? Hmm. Maybe it's similar to the Borg from Star Trek who dwelled as a collective hive-mind within a...box/cube. Those that deviated from this hive-mind would, in effect, be thinking outside of the box. it has both a figurative and a literal meaning.
Old Apr 24, 2012, 07:51 AM

Come on guys, let's pledge on this... only 10.000 USD still needed to fund the project!
Old Apr 24, 2012, 09:31 AM
Trusted Editor

And that 10k will be easily gotten in the next 40 days. Wouldn't surprise me if this project would go over 100k.
Old Apr 25, 2012, 08:55 PM

Backed this a while ago THe soundtrack is amazing! We are supporting the kickstarter by playing the music all week long (Chris gave us the A-OK , but the more I see it we'll run it a bit longer cause it's just sweeettt. Freedom and The Great Bath were two of my favorite tracks on the album
Old Apr 26, 2012, 09:35 AM

Location: Heaven? No no, what's that other place that starts with H? Oh yes, home. :-)

So this is pretty much guaranteed to happen. Chris will probably meet his $75,000 goal by later tonight (and with over 30 days left!). BUT DON'T STOP PLEDGING! Aside from still having Box Sets available, he has stated that he'll also add even more music and a 4th CD if the target goal is exceeded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Huelsbeck
If we get even more supporters and a higher budget, I will add more live orchestra recordings and more music (and expand the Box Set with an additional CD for more tracks). I also have really exciting extra perks for the pledge levels above $50, check them out!

One man was smart, he felt smart. Two men were smart, they smelt farrr...darn it! I'll never get it right.

What is "the box" that people are supposed to think outside of anyway? Hmm. Maybe it's similar to the Borg from Star Trek who dwelled as a collective hive-mind within a...box/cube. Those that deviated from this hive-mind would, in effect, be thinking outside of the box. it has both a figurative and a literal meaning.
Old Apr 27, 2012, 12:17 AM

Thr project has succesfully reached 75k a few minutes ago - great
Old Apr 27, 2012, 07:56 AM

I am looking forward to the finished product! Also the concert in Cologne.
Old May 4, 2012, 08:38 AM
VGMdb Staff
VGM Artist

In case you guys don't know. The box will now include a 4th CD with more bonus stuff. This will be a sweet item, really.

Kickstarters projecs are very various and it's not easy to track down game soundtracks there. We had a few already in the database (like Hydorah).

As a reminder for myself i'll note a few things here.
With the remake of Leisure Suit Larry 1, a Physical CD copy of the soundtrack have been promised for backers with a minimum 100$ donation. Can't wait for that, that was an awesome game with great music.
Old May 4, 2012, 04:24 PM

For all pledges $75 and above, Chris will also be including the music from the original Turrican games, "recorded from the real hardware systems", on a USB memory stick!

So to recap: in terms of music, fans are being offered...
  • The 4-CD Box Set filled with Electronic arrangements from Turrican 1, 2 and 3, Super Turrican 1 and 2, Mega Turrican and bonus tracks done by a live orchestra

• A special Vinyl with original sound version Turrican game music and retro-style remix music (unique to the Vinyl and not included in the 4-CD Box Set)

• The original Turrican game music on USB memory stick in both FLAC & MP3 formats

• The digital download of the 4-CD Box Set and, for those that pledged for it, the special Vinyl all in FLAC & MP3 formats

Thus far, the project has reached close to $100,000 and there is still almost an entire month left; so we could be seeing even more goodies.

Old May 30, 2012, 01:19 AM

it's 4 days before the official end of the project, and Chris released the MP3 or FLAC version of the first track, available to everyone who pledged a minimum 5 bucks.

The track is "Final Challenge", from the last stage of Turrican II. Did you get it? Any impressions?

Last edited by The Gambler; May 30, 2012 at 01:21 AM.
Old May 30, 2012, 08:54 AM

I just got the email but have to go to work! >

I can't wait for this though. It sucks that we'll have to wait another 6 months before the set is finished... So impatient I am.
Old May 30, 2012, 10:05 AM

Put my pledge in early! I'm at the $100 level and even that is breaking the bank (selling off some junk to get back in the black). Really wish I could get the vinyl, but I'll just have to be content with the 4 CDs and the USB stick. Such a great project!
Old Jun 2, 2012, 04:05 PM

It's less than a day for the end of the project and I'll just bump this thread to remember any forum members not to miss the chance to own such a limited release - pledge now or regret forever.
Old Jun 2, 2012, 04:16 PM

Less than 24 hours left before this fundraiser ends! Last chance to secure a copy of the Box Set and USB stick.

Old Jun 3, 2012, 11:24 AM

Man, i wish I could afford the level with the vinyl... Alas, only the CD's for me. Stupid other Kickstarter projects.
Old Jun 8, 2012, 08:44 AM

I am in a depression right now, as I've found out about this awesome project a little too late (just a couple days ago).
Old Jun 8, 2012, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalvarez82 View Post
I am in a depression right now, as I've found out about this awesome project a little too late (just a couple days ago).
You should kill yourself in the most disgusting way possible.

Honestly...that sucks you missed out. But I still highly recommend the above.
Old Jun 9, 2012, 10:03 AM

Don't worry! You'll be able to buy a copy on eBay a week after it ships for like $1,000, knowing eBay scalpers.
Old Dec 24, 2012, 05:44 PM

Turrican Soundtrack Anthology Holiday Update‏, (I got this in an email today from Chris/Turrican Project.)

Hi Everyone,

First of all, I would like to apologize for the slow update schedule. I have been very busy working on the music and I wanted this update to be big and special (for the holidays). I have some very exciting things to talk about and show you!

I want to start off, however, with the tough part of this update: I’m working on the schedule and looking diligently at all the aspects of getting this project into a shippable state. Unfortunately, it looks as though it may still take a while. In all honesty, I underestimated the scope of the Turrican Soundtrack Anthology and it was naive to think that I could run my sound production company on the side as usual, and not upfront disclose to you some projects that I had already started last year (which also took longer than planned or -in case of one project- are actually still ongoing, albeit not taking up a lot of my time at this point) and even taking on some smaller projects, while finishing up TSA. I totally misjudged the depth of these in conjunction to the work that was necessary to complete TSA and I am very sorry about that and want to get back on track. From this point forward, I promise to you that I will not to take on any new projects until the music for TSA is done! I also now have a much better understanding of how long other items on the list will take to complete. Working on the music is of course taking up the bulk of my time (especially in terms of the quality that I am aiming for), but looking at everything else that still needs to be done before we can ship - sometimes it feels like this :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wNFMPhKIZXg

Because of the complexity of all the rewards and the fact that I don’t want to promise another ship date without a buffer for unexpected problems, I’d now like to complete manufacturing and ship everything out no later than June (but still aiming for as soon as possible, of course). Please keep in mind, the music will be finished quite a bit before that time and there will be downloads of the final tracks available after they are mastered and ready for CD manufacturing, so you will get the music definitely earlier. I would like to ask kindly for your patience and support to get this project done right.
For the music, I have prepared a preview megamix as a download for everyone, showing off a lot of Turrican 1 and 2 music. The progress on the pieces as well as the production of the music as a whole is finally going really well now, with Turrican 1 and 2 almost completely recorded. I will actually start recording the first Turrican 3 tracks before the year ends.

Another exciting announcement is that fellow game musician Allister Brimble (well known for his Amiga classics with Team17) -who is currently running his own Kickstarter project- will create a special arrangement for our 4th CD! Additionally, I will be producing one of his popular game tracks later next year. Please check out his campaign, which is still active for another week:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...he-amiga-works

Update on the music boxes: We are in the process of getting a video of the prototype for all backers to enjoy, but despite our best efforts, by the time of the update it was not yet ready. However, as soon as I have it, I will post the link here. Keep in mind that these boxes are handcrafted, individually assembled and tuned, which makes them something special that couldn’t be rushed.

The next item is the art. We now have received finished art pieces from our main artist Halil Ural and they turned out amazing, which is why the video contains some preview shots showing how the work progressed. We are still looking at how to present the art on the CD Box, but the source material is really stunning and gives us a number of exciting options.

There’s also a sneak peek into how the documentary video will look like, with some selected scenes from the concert day, autograph session with fans and, of course, the backer party.

Finally, I also want to get back into the monthly update schedule, so stay tuned for more news in about 4 weeks.

-Chris