VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Apr 9, 2014, 02:31 PM
Trusted Editor

Default Itazura na Kiss~Love in TOKYO -BACKGROUND MUSIC TRACK-

I don't think this belongs here. Toda isn't primarily a game music composer. As of now, I would say that her works are distributed equally between movie, television and game.
Old Apr 13, 2014, 12:28 PM

Isn´t this release related to this:
http://vgmdb.net/album/16327 and that one to:
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/ency...ga.php?id=3848.

Why the album was deleted?

Last edited by Porter; Apr 13, 2014 at 12:38 PM.
Old Apr 13, 2014, 12:58 PM
VGMdb Staff

The original idea was to allow live-action movies that were adaptations of the game, and the game is the source. That was apparently expanded to anime to allow the same when anime was source material, but it was impossible in many cases I guess because the real source material is manga/novel. Then if the first screen adaptation was anime and live-action movie followed, that was ok too it seems, e.g. this
http://vgmdb.net/album/43435

the road there was novel -> Miyazaki's anime (first screen adaptation) -> then this live-action thing.

Itazura is manga -> TV drama plus several non-jp drama versions -> only after it was anime -> then this another TV drama.

Is that really the same as the original idea?

I mean, many relatively frequent submitters didn't know (and some maybe still don't) that live-action movies that are adaptations of games as the source material are allowed...
Old Apr 13, 2014, 03:41 PM
Trusted Editor

Rule of thumb: If unsure, don't submit it, or ask before submission!
Old Apr 14, 2014, 04:46 AM

But Itazura is manga, anime and also drama. Is it important what was first, there is anime adaptation of manga and "love in tokyo" is released after anime adaption. It is all same universe.
Old Apr 14, 2014, 05:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidAcid View Post
Rule of thumb: If unsure, don't submit it, or ask before submission!
My friend please check Joe Hisaishi drama album submissions not related to anime and game.
He is even primarily live action TV & movie composer according to list of works at Japanese wikipedia:-)
Old Apr 14, 2014, 05:28 AM
Trusted Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porter View Post
My friend please check Joe Hisaishi drama album submissions not related to anime and game.
He is even primarily live action TV & movie composer according to list of works at Japanese wikipedia:-)
This has already been discussed many times. Do some research before bringing this topic up again. Hisaishi is an exception. And he should stay an exception.
Old Apr 14, 2014, 09:16 AM

Quote:
This has already been discussed many times. Do some research before bringing this topic up again. Hisaishi is an exception. And he should stay an exception.
That is your personal opinion. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Why there is need for submissions rules if you can have exceptions?
IMHO Any exception that is created takes precedence over any other exception that I or everyone else can define. Don´t you think?

Is Joe Hisaishi different composer than Sato, Ifukube, Senju, Hattori, Iwashiro, Sahashi, Oshima, Yokoyama, Kanno, Watanabe, Haneoka - who doesn´t have almost all their drama albums here and lot of them have similar game or anime credits like Mr. Hisaishi.

-------------------
JOE HISAISHI (credits breakdown)
His game scores output is minimal - maybe 5 scores? (so he can´t be considered as primarily game composer. It is like calling Hamauzu primarily anime composer )

1st point - not primarily game composer!

2nd point - almost 70% of his scores are scores for live-action movies and TV series.
I can provide list of scores if needed.

Credits according to ANN & VGMDB (score credits)
-----------------------------
LIVE ACTION TV & MOVIE score credits (65)
ANIME score credits (32)
-----------------------------

I have nothing against Joe Hisaishi and his credits here - it is awesome, but it would be also awesome if we can be here honest and fair to all composers.

But it is up to moderators to set rules for this.
Old Apr 14, 2014, 12:12 PM
Trusted Editor

Quote:
That is your personal opinion.
Wrong. I'm stating a fact here.

Quote:
Why there is need for submissions rules if you can have exceptions?
IMHO Any exception that is created takes precedence over any other exception that I or everyone else can define. Don´t you think?
Nobody cares what rules or exceptions you or John Doe defines. VGMdb staff runs this place, not you, not John Doe.

Quote:
Is Joe Hisaishi different composer than Sato, Ifukube, Senju, Hattori, Iwashiro, Sahashi, Oshima, Yokoyama, Kanno, Watanabe, Haneoka - who doesn´t have almost all their drama albums here and lot of them have similar game or anime credits like Mr. Hisaishi.
Yes, there is a difference between Joe Hisaishi and the other people you listed. I give you a hint. It could be the name

Quote:
I have nothing against Joe Hisaishi and his credits here - it is awesome, but it would be also awesome if we can be here honest and fair to all composers.
The world isn't fair, deal with it. However this has nothing to do with being "honest and fair" in the first place.

tl;dr: Stop trying to derive other exceptions from the ones we already have. The VGMdb isn't the place for general television / drama / movie score cataloging. Use common sense when submitting something!
Old Apr 14, 2014, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Yes, there is a difference between Joe Hisaishi and the other people you listed. I give you a hint. It could be the name
I don't know, he named some pretty big names. If no one else, Kanno at least rivals Hisaishi in terms of popularity and name recognition. How does it make sense to say to use common sense when an exception for Hisaishi, but not other A-list composers, undermines an easily intuitive order. In fact, I didn't look but I would have assumed Kanno would be one we'd catalog everything for because of her stature, even in the West. That seemed like common sense to me.
Old Apr 14, 2014, 02:01 PM

Wrong. I'm stating a fact here.

I didn´t find any special info about Joe in submission rules. It is your fact.
Real fact: Original Work - Music that has no connection to any of VGMdb's categories.

VGMdb staff runs this place

OK and we haven´t any official response about Joe case.
Check this debates about staff opinion about submissions, no clearly response there.
http://vgmdb.net/forums/showthread.php?t=12359
http://vgmdb.net/forums/showthread.php?t=13453

No response at all.

The world isn't fair, deal with it. However this has nothing to do with being "honest and fair" in the first place.

Again no valuable response.

Stop trying to derive other exceptions from the ones we already have. The VGMdb isn't the place for general television / drama / movie score cataloging. Use common sense when submitting something!.

1st - I didn´t even submit this Itazura album. Please check basic info before posting.
2nd - I provided facts to this discussion and you provided nothing.
3rd - "Stop trying to derive other exceptions from the ones we already have".
LA you should try to read this sentence really carefully and I bet that you find what a nonsense you wrote.

In the end I would be glad if there could be more original works albums (f.e. drama or movie albums) by other composers who are also well known in anime genre and I think that it would help database and other users.

Last edited by Porter; Apr 14, 2014 at 02:07 PM.
Old Apr 14, 2014, 04:02 PM
VGMdb Staff

Get off your high horse, Liquid.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 04:07 AM
VGMdb Staff

Quote:
In the end I would be glad if there could be more original works albums (f.e. drama or movie albums) by other composers who are also well known in anime genre
The point you're missing Porter, is the composer will have the discography not related to video games or animation at this place only if the composer himself/herself has majority of their work created for vg/animation. Just because the composer has OSTs for some popular anime or such isn't enough to "import" other things the database doesn't have a focus on, if that same composer primarily scores movies and dramas.

Example you have been mentioning several times, Joe Hisaishi, is an exception and I don't really know how it was created but I guess it started from the immense popularity of Ghibli animations that normally also became focus of this database when the expansion to anime happened. Probably at some point later, it just became fine to add literally anything by Hisaishi. I'm not saying that is fair. But it's a done thing and no use to reflect on it over and over again.