VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > VGMdb Site Related > Questions and Comments
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Oct 1, 2007, 03:56 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Default Free fan remix projects?

What do people think about adding amateur remix projects that are available free to download like the site projects on OverClocked ReMix? A few days ago, I noticed that The American Album had been added to VGMdb, so I updated its information and added the special edition, and today I just noticed that the latest OCR site project, Voices of the Lifestream, is there too.

I'd thought about adding these a while ago, but I figured that they might fall a little bit too far outside the scope of VGMdb, so I didn't. However, since these have made it through into the database, we should probably either delete them or add everything else in as well.
Old Oct 1, 2007, 04:02 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Does anyone have an idea how many of them are out there? I think it's okay to include them if there's a reasonably small number of professionally made albums, but I'd hate to see the database get weighted down by large numbers of these.

I think once upon a time, we would have denied any digital release, but these days there are so many legitimate releases that are digital. Of course, the main distinction between the officials and these is that the officials cost money.
Old Oct 1, 2007, 05:26 PM
VGMdb Administrator

On the Western side, I'd say about fifteen or so thus far, not counting the joke ones. There are around ten OCR projects, the VGMix-oriented Cave Story project, a couple of OneUp Studios EPs, the independent Bound Together (and its rerelease), and Mazedude's album. Might be more, but that's what I've got off the top of my head.

Japanese, I have no idea. The only ones I can think of are the Celestia projects, which aren't even divided into CDs as far as I can remember (or at least the first one wasn't). Doesn't mean there aren't 50 million I haven't heard of before, though.
Old Oct 30, 2007, 05:42 AM
VGMdb Advisor
VGM Artist

Like The American Album, are other digital releases that are free but otherwise encourage donation acceptable? OneUp Studios has done that with all of their EP releases.
Old Nov 11, 2007, 11:13 PM
VGMdb Advisor
VGM Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secret Squirrel View Post
Does anyone have an idea how many of them are out there? I think it's okay to include them if there's a reasonably small number of professionally made albums, but I'd hate to see the database get weighted down by large numbers of these.

I think once upon a time, we would have denied any digital release, but these days there are so many legitimate releases that are digital. Of course, the main distinction between the officials and these is that the officials cost money.
I think OCR's albums count as legit in the sense of being organized digital releases, but if they're still denied for not being commercial let me know. Won't move forward on anything without someone's ok.
Old Nov 12, 2007, 12:17 AM
VGMdb Administrator

Going by CHz's estimate, adding those albums should be fine.
Old Nov 13, 2007, 10:46 AM
VGMdb Advisor
VGM Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigablah View Post
Going by CHz's estimate, adding those albums should be fine.
Thanks a lot for the ok. I'm sure I'll be able to think of some others later, but I've added pretty much all the important free doujin albums I can think of. There aren't that many. Thanks to Akumu for his help adding some and CHz for artist links.