VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Dec 5, 2012, 01:26 PM

Should we make some mention that the vocalist at the beginning of "Anu Orta Veniya" (and I think she does backing vocals later in the song as well) is clearly Yumiko Takahashi? Or perhaps just saying it here is enough.
Old Dec 6, 2012, 06:25 AM

I think we should. It always bothered me that Takahashi wasn't credited here.
Old May 18, 2014, 12:34 PM

I just noticed this album's database name had changed to "Panzer Dragoon Orta". I am aware of vgmdb's desire to accurate with spelling and all but isn't this a bit eh silly? It also disrupts the alphabetization.

ps: are are there actually any fans of this soundtrack? I've never seen anybody talk about it on forums..
Old May 18, 2014, 01:02 PM
Trusted Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by yvk2000 View Post
I just noticed this album's database name had changed to "Panzer Dragoon Orta". I am aware of vgmdb's desire to accurate with spelling and all but isn't this a bit eh silly? It also disrupts the alphabetization.
It's how it's listed on the back of the cd, there's really no issues. I don't believe alphabetization is a priority in any way at all. Accuracy and validity is valued over all else.
Old May 18, 2014, 01:17 PM
Trusted Editor

Quote:
ps: are are there actually any fans of this soundtrack? I've never seen anybody talk about it on forums..
well it's a Sega/Wave Master soundtrack, so I'm a fan :P
Old May 18, 2014, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancey View Post
It's how it's listed on the back of the cd, there's really no issues. I don't believe alphabetization is a priority in any way at all. Accuracy and validity is valued over all else.
Alphabetization in itself may not be a priority or goal but when you look at a list of search results and an album ends up at the top because of these "quotation marks" I think it doesn't really help the database's goal of helping people search and find album/information.

The quotation marks serve no purpose other than looking nice in that unique eh panzer font. They add no information to the title. If anything including them here takes away the cool effect it has on the actual disc..

oh well this is not a big deal, so...let´s talk more about the music!
Old May 18, 2014, 02:29 PM
Trusted Editor

Quote:
Alphabetization in itself may not be a priority or goal but when you look at a list of search results and an album ends up at the top because of these "quotation marks" I think it doesn't really help the database's goal of helping people search and find album/information.

The quotation marks serve no purpose other than looking nice in that unique eh panzer font. They add no information to the title. If anything including them here takes away the cool effect it has on the actual disc..

oh well this is not a big deal, so...let´s talk more about the music!
The proper way to fix that is to query the database for the search string and remove non-ASCII characters from the result-set and then sort on that. The improper way to fix that is to update the database to accommodate for bad database design and/or querying.

You can probably log a suggestion/fix in a thread somewhere.
Old May 18, 2014, 03:12 PM

This soundtrack has never stuck with me in the way Zwei and Azel have. I listen to it, but it seems to end quickly without a whole lot standing out until "Anu Orta Veniya". I think no less of Kobayashi for it as I love her style, but I really can't remember a melody off the top of my head besides that song.

So me and Jormungand think Yumiko Takahashi should be credited and then we could have this album in her discography. Is there any reason she shouldn't be? This wouldn't be the first instance of crediting on the page someone who is uncredited.
Old May 18, 2014, 03:35 PM
Trusted Editor

I don't see the problem linking it, I was able to find Saori Kobayashi and Yumiko Takahashi performing the song (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=trqjPUTI1no) as part of Saori's new band, 茜-AKANE- (http://www.akane-sky.info/about.html). I think that you just have to make sure in the comments that the information is uncredited

Last edited by dancey; May 18, 2014 at 03:39 PM.
Old May 19, 2014, 10:17 AM

Meh, that crediting system in the notes is rather awkward, but I conformed to it.
Old May 19, 2014, 06:53 PM

Quote:
It's one of the finest, most creative, powerful works in the genre. I hold it in the highest esteem, both as a game soundtrack and as a work of art. There's no filler here: it's a tightly focused expression of the Panzer world, much as Zwei was. It's the perfect counterpart to, and evolution of, the dramatic epic that was Saga.

As for why people don't talk about it, I don't really have a reason that doesn't innately criticize popular music/games/whatever sells millions of copies that year. It's not as if the music is somehow esoteric--just the opposite actually. It's sophisticated, yes, but also primal by design.

Maybe it's an issue with the game. Great and artful games are rarely popular, and as brilliant as the Panzer series is, it has never garnered the respect it deserves (not to mention, Microsoft is a graveyard for great Japanese games).

I imagine it's the sort of score you would need to listen to several times to appreciate it. Chances are you'll notice something new on each repeat listen, and perhaps most casual VGM fans aren't of the mind to let things marinate over an extended period of time.

(This is, of course, the only way most true great works of art come to be considered "great")
Old May 20, 2014, 09:14 PM

Well, Azel got me pretty good on first listen. Zwei too. Orta I've listened to at least a dozen times I'm sure but it still doesn't stick with me. There have been times I've intentionally listened to it meaning to learn it better, but it always falls into the background on me. Despite this, I haven't given up on it. It occasionally pops into my mind that I should listen to it again. Maybe I'll eventually build up enough familiarity with it that it will finally imprint itself on me and I can really assess its quality. Except "Iva", which I know I quite like, and "Anu Orta Veniya", which is fantastic. Kobayashi's melody is great and this song is another example of why Hayato Matsuo is my favorite orchestrator.

Also, the only opinions I've heard of the games are glowing. It's certainly a highly respected series amongst those who have played it, although that number is rather small. I never have owned any Sega system or an Xbox, so I haven't played any myself.

Last edited by _if; May 20, 2014 at 09:18 PM.
Old May 22, 2014, 07:21 AM

I don't think it's an issue with the games. Azel/Saga went on to become a cult classic. The same goes for the score (albeit to a lesser degree). I am pretty sure plenty of people who didn't play the game gave Orta a spin (like _if). I suppose it's just not so rpg-like captivating and epic as Azel. Part of the reason may also lie in the ambient turn the soundtrack takes in the second half (which I think is the strongest part of the album...culminating in the masterpiece 'Imperial City').

Nevertheless I fully agree, this one requires multiple and full listens. I hope it will someday get more exposure and appreciation.
Old Jan 11, 2015, 08:23 AM

I uploaded complete scans for this album. Moire patterns were a bit bad, but I think they cleaned up OK. The original Back and Front can be removed.
Old Jan 11, 2015, 02:33 PM

Okay, turns out Yumiko Takahashi was credited in the booklet all along. Thanks for the scans.

I transcribed the credits even for the non-music stuff since Tomonori Sawada is in there, which is worth mentioning, and most of them are apparently the credits for the album itself. I think most of our Final Fantasy album notes include that stuff too.
Old Jul 14, 2019, 11:06 AM

I'm a bit confused about this release in a few ways. Well, more like the game.

I was trying to watch videos on YouTube to get context for the various pieces on this disc, but I have to ask an obvious question. Am I the only one who thinks the audio mixing in this game is absolutely dreadful? I'm not talking about the music in itself or the sound effects in themselves, but when you're playing the game and the music and SFX are playing simultaneously it sounds like one, big horrible mess to me. I honestly don't know how your meant to get into the music in the game when it is just so obscured. Is this just an issue with YouTube videos or is this the case with the game in person?

I just don't understand, the music in the Saturn games never bowed to such an issue, everything seemed to be in good balance. Hell, there is so much going on I can't even hear what piece of music is being used in the game's first boss battle. Is it even on the soundtrack? Is it on the soundtrack but with a different opening because it seems the cut-scene right before it uses the same track. Jeepers, I have so many questions.

I'm just starting to explore this album, but yikes, I don't even know how you could begin to appreciate what's here without taking it outside the scope of the game and isolating it a little from its in-game environment. I'm not saying the context ISN'T important, it is, but hearing it in-context with all the SFX is FAR from an optimal experience.
Old Jul 14, 2019, 04:10 PM
Trusted Editor
VGM Artist

I haven't played the game since it was first released on XBox, but I remember absolutely loving the music in the game and buying the soundtrack based on my impression from playing the game. I don't remember there being any balance issues or the music being obscured. It could be the video quality, the uploader may have adjusted the SFX/music volume ratios to favor SFX, or it could actually be a problem that I just can't recall. Either way, I only played the game one time through way back then and have been able to enjoy the game's OST outside of the context of the game for years. It's an amazing score. I feel the best track is "The Fallen Ground" by far, but every track is really good.
Old Jul 14, 2019, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Evans II View Post
I can't even hear what piece of music is being used in the game's first boss battle. Is it even on the soundtrack?
Okay, so I finally got enough of this one to identify it. It's track 8 "Gigantic Fleet" so indeed it is on the soundtrack. Man, that took a lot of listening to nail down.