VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Jun 27, 2013, 03:54 PM

To Phonograph: my bad, I don't know what I was thinking about the barcode thing. If you check my latest submissions I've done like a billion of them and I think it's starting to fry my brain.

However, a part of me does want to use the ISBN numbers over the barcode numbers, since I think these types of items are probably more commonly identified by ISBN numbers. For example, I can't search the barcode number in Amazon.co.jp and get the page, but I can get the page by searching the ISBN number. Google also gives 3 or so pages of results across many different sites for the ISBN number, whereas it only gives 2 different sites and then Phonograph's submission for the barcode, 6 results in total. I think the ISBN number is a much better identifier for books like these, but I may also not know what I'm talking about.

Anyway, for now you were right to change my edit back, sorry again about that.
Old Jun 27, 2013, 04:15 PM

no problem, I generally check all pages even if it already has barcodes

personally, I could reach you about those releases and isbn, because it's not cd releases but book(s) released with cd (my opinion is that those should be considered enclosures)
but, above all, don't put isbn in eac/upc/jan code field (because it's not the same thing)
Old Jun 27, 2013, 05:58 PM

Well, I think that what we need to do is expand the scope of the field to include ISBN numbers where they're necessary. I don't think that box serves too much purpose if what you're getting from it isn't getting you very useful information. A barcode number for a book release is not really that useful, but an ISBN number is. Otherwise we're kind of just listing stuff for the sake of listing it.

I'm glad you agree with me about the ISBN numbers being more appropriate
Old Jun 27, 2013, 06:37 PM

the thing I'd like vgmdb admin (ss or blah) do is expanding keywords while searching in google
no barcode leads to vgmdb, so I guess you can't search for barcodes existing in vgmdb
Old Jun 27, 2013, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phonograph View Post
no barcode leads to vgmdb
Well, no barcode leads to a VGMdb entry. But this barcode, for example, leads to your VGMdb submissions page

But yeah, I see what you mean, that field must not be searchable by Google (okay, I don't know how it works).