VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Jul 24, 2010, 07:39 PM

Since Yuko composed the original version of Nash/Charlie in Street Fighter Zero, I believe the version here is also done by her.

I also think it's a given that Yuki Iwai arranged Takayuki Iwai's compositions in Children of the Atom (for "Player Select" and "Here Comes a New Challenger") , because (a) she's the lead artist and therefore would be responsible for the main themes, (b) she's handled X-Men characters before (Wolverine, Psylocke and Magneto in Marvel Super Heroes), and (c) at the point of this game's composition, was officially married to Takayuki Iwai, which would make access to his work not so unexpected. "Win," "Continue" and "Game Over" are in the same vain in that they were previous main themes in COTA, much like Player Select, even though they were all composed by Syun Nishigaki.

Lastly, I think the composers are mainly divided by series: Yuko to Street Fighter, and Yuki for X-Men. This makes sense considering they have more experience in those fields and little to none in the other. The same can be said of Marvel vs. Street Fighter (again, Yuki to Marvel, and Yuko to Street Fighter) and Marvel vs. Capcom (Masato to Marvel, and Yuko to Capcom). If someone could upload scans of the booklet (and those of all the other Capcom arcade OSTs), that would be great, especially since this particular OST is in the same series as the immensely helpful Power Fighters OST.

Silence = Cyclops Ending 1, Sabretooth Ending 1
Spirits = Cyclops Ending 2, Zangief Ending 2, Cammy Ending 2
Moonlight = Gouki Ending 1
Fight!! = Gouki Ending 2, Zangief Ending 1, Sabretooth Ending 2
Temptation of Evil = Cammy Ending 1, Nash Ending 1, Rogue Ending 1
Friends = Rogue Ending 2
Meditation = Dhalsim Ending 1
Peace = Ken Ending, Chun-Li Ending, Dhalsim Ending 2, Wolverine Ending
Loving You = Gambit Ending
A Scolding = Juggernaut Ending
Ambition = Magneto Ending, Vega Ending, Nash Ending 2
True Love = Storm Ending
Wondering = Ryu Ending

Unofficial breakdowns:
X-Men vs. Street Fighter
Yuki Iwai: Opening & Title, Wolverine, Cyclops, Storm, Rogue, Gambit, Sabretooth, Juggernaut, Magneto, Player Select, VS, Win, Here Comes a New Challenger, Introduction, Apocalypse, Continue, Game Over, Silence, Spirits, Friends, Loving You, A Scolding, True Love, Staff Roll
Yuko Takehara: Ryu, Ken, Chun-Li, Dhalsim, Zangief, Vega, Gouki, Nash, Cammy, Moonlight, Meditation, Wondering

Marvel Super Heroes vs. Street Fighter
Yuki Iwai: Norimaro Toujou, Wolverine, Wolverine Ending, Captain America, Captain America Ending, Hulk, Hulk Ending, Spider-Man, Spider-Man Ending, Shuma-Gorath, Shuma-Gorath Ending [1&2], Norimaro, Norimaro Ending [1&2], Blackheart, Omega Red, Zangief~Midi Arrange~
Yuko Takehara: Opening & Title, Player Select, Break, VS, Win, Continue, Game Over, Hurry Up, Ending Introduction, Cyclops, Cyclops Ending, Ryu, Ryu Ending, Ken, Chun-Li, Chun-Li Ending, Zangief, Dhalsim, Dhalsim Ending, Dan, Dan Ending, Gouki, Gouki Ending, Sakura, Vega, Boss Introduction, Apocalypse, Hidden Character, Conqueror Ending, Tranquility Ending, Staff Roll

Conqueror Ending = Vega Ending, Blackheart Ending, Omega Red Ending
Tranquility Ending = Ken Ending, Sakura Ending, Zangief Ending

Marvel VS. Capcom
Yuko Takehara: Opening, Player Select, VS., Hurry Up, Win, Here Comes a New Challenger, Ranking, Variable Cross, Ryu, Captain Commando, Chun-Li, Jin, Zangief, Continue, Game Over, Strider Hiryu, Rockman, Roll, Hidden Character, Boss Introduction, Onslaught [I and II], Ending -After the Battle-, Ending -Peace-, Ending -Tension-, Ending -Grief-, Ending -Roll1-, Ending -Roll2-, Ending -Ryu-, Ending -Strider Hiryu-, Ending -Morrigan-, Ending -Rockman1-, Ending -Rockman2-, Staff Roll
Masato Kouda: War Machine, Captain America, Hulk, Wolverine, Gambit, Spider-Man, Venom, Morrigan, Ending -Gambit-, Ending -Venom-

Ending -After the Battle- = Ending -Captain America2-, Ending -Captain Commando-, Ending -Chun-Li2-, Ending -Morrigan0-, Ending -Venom0-, Ending -War Machine-, Ending -Wolverine-, Ending -Zangief-, Ending -Lilith-
Ending -Peace- = Ending -Captain America1-, Ending -Spider-Man-
Ending -Tension- = Ending -Chun-Li1-, Ending -Hulk1-, Ending -Jin1-, Ending -Shadow Lady-
Ending -Grief- = Ending -Hulk2-, Ending -Jin2-

Marvel VS. Capcom 2
Tetsuya Shibata: Opening Title, Player Select, Airship Stage, Amusement Park Stage, Cave Stage, Clock Tower Stage, Desert Stage, Factory Stage, River Stage, Swamp Stage, Winner, Here Comes a New Challenger, Abyss Stage [all 3 parts], Continue, Game Over, Ranking Display, Staff Roll
Mitsuhiko Takano: Mode Menu, Network Menu

Last edited by kyubihanyou; Mar 30, 2011 at 12:17 PM.
Old Oct 20, 2010, 11:14 PM

I must say that the idea that Yuko and Yuki being devided due to having worked with these games related to this are false. Reasons why are because:

1. No real reason to do that.

2. The theme songs to Wolverine, Cyclops, and Storm are definitely from Yuko, reason being is because they can be compared to many different themes from Rockman 7, which Yuko had also done. Cyclops shares a similarity to Slash Man's theme(a song also often credited to yuko), Wolverine's theme just has her written all over it, and Storm's theme not only sounds similar to the other two, but also includes similarities to Ryu's theme from the sequel, which has some Junk Man in it, as does wolverine's theme in this game. Gambit's theme is questionable, though, that i still can't quite pick out, but whoever did that one must have done juggernaut's theme(which i also assume was meant for another potential character that got booted, possibly jubilee?) I have also been listening to her work a lot lately and am familiar with her style and can say that the three marvel themes fit her style, and not at all yuki's style, at least not what i heard of her work.

3. Yuki Iwai actually has had some involvement with SF in the past, she was credited in SFII Hyper Fighting for the SFC in the music department, i also heard rumors that she did all three SFC ports of SF2, so if this is true, then she has more experience with SF than Yuko, who only did a couple SFZ songs.

4. Yuko had to have done wolverine's theme in MVC1, no other composer uses those energetic beats combined with that five cymbal crash, which is a trademark of Yuko's. Almost every game that has her credited in it uses that cymbal crash, the same crash used in cammy's theme, so it is indeed clear she did cammy's theme. She also definitely did cyclops's theme in MSH vs SF because one melody was also found in Captain Commando's theme, which only had yuko from the previous games. But yeah, Five Cymbal crash, if you ever hear anything with that in it, that means Yuko did it. But again, not all her work, she's not 1-dimensional. lol Also, Yuki definitely did Vega's theme in MSH vs SF due to similarities to Wolverine's theme from MSH, so that alone disproves the whole separation theory.

5. I might be wrong on this one, but from many of my observations, it seems that Yuko doesn't really like remixes, that or just prefers to do new songs unless told to remix, and it often seems like when she does remix, she always adds something new or makes a new song altogether and only adds some elements from what she remixes in there. Also the fact that in SFZ the only songs she did were for two of the new characters, and the rest were remixes, and this is unusual for her because in most games she works on, it appears the often does much more than that. Like in RM7, it seems like more songs are her's than anyone else's. Unless she came in late for SFZ or was busy. Again i could be wrong in this case, but it's a possibility.

So in this case, my breakdown would be

Yuko: Wolverine, Cyclops, Storm, Cammy,

Yuki: Rogue, possibly Gambit and Juggernaut, and possibly all or most remixes excluding Nash's theme.

Apologies if i appear crazy or like i anylize too much. I can, mind, but some of these songs share much more similarities that i pick out by really looking into things and other work from these people rather than saying i heard a drum roll in the beginning and saying it's takayuki iwai cause i heard him do it in the past or something along those lines. Also, i apologize if i seem rude or in any way condescending, but these are just some ideas i would like to propose. I could be wrong about this, of course, as Magma Man's theme from Rockman 9 seems very Yuko Kadota-ish, same with a couple songs in MvC2, so i am not claiming my ideas as fact, you could be right, but due to these songs having distinctive similarities with Rockman 7 and other Yuko themes, it is also doubtful. Again, i mean no harm in anything i say, just my thoughts.
Old Oct 23, 2010, 09:49 AM

@HarukameiKasumo
I'm just waiting for more scans for this album.
...and Children of the Atom
...and Marvel Super Heroes vs. Street Fighter
...and Marvel VS. Capcom
...and Super Street Fighter II: The New Challengers
...and Rockman: The Power Battle

I can't transcribe what I don't have, so all I can do now is wait. My position is strictly janitorial.
Old Oct 23, 2010, 09:04 PM

Understandable. Hopefully i didn't come off as rude here, i can just tell that they didn't go by splits here because i can tell one does one of the other.

I am with you for those albums being scanned as well, in fact, some of those are one of the few albums i really want to be scanned and possibly confirmed. However, i am not entirely sure how we can get such info. This one of the many reasons i want to see an interview with Yuko, there are other reasons as well, but this is one of them, or at least someone who worked with capcom at one point.

Anyway i can come up with some clear reasons as to why yuko made Wolverine, Cyclops, and Storm's themes, and it's obvious she did Cammy's theme, so i guess we can go ahead and put that Yuko did cammy's theme, storm's theme, cyclops's theme, and wolverine's theme. Rogue i am not entirely sure of, but i think that one might be Yuki Iwai's, Gambit and Juggernaut obviously have the same composer, but i can't say if it's yuko or yuki. I can tell yuko made cammy's theme due to the drum and beat style in the song and that five cymbal crash she seems to like using. The beat is different but the five cymbal crash is also found in Storm's theme. Wolverine's theme is obvious cause it has some similarities to some Rockman 7 themes, also that it is similar to other songs i can tell is her's, including storm's, and also, if it were yuki's, she would not let the guitars drag on like it does in some parts, she always likes to make it more realistic and make it fade out. Cyclops and Storm'ss theme share some similarities to Slashman's theme, which is a confirmed Yuko song. Magneto's theme is definitely a Yuki theme, though, it fades and has those typical yuki moments to it.

Again, just my observations. I can't quite say who made the remixed songs, though Vega's sounded a little yuko-i. I might need to listen in more to them.
Old Mar 26, 2011, 05:52 PM

I still can't exactly pick out what yuki iwai made here, but i have come to the conclusion that the themes of: Wolverine, Cyclops, Storm, Rogue, Gambit, Cammy, Juggernaut(whoever the theme was originally for), Apocalypse, Nash, Ken, and Zangief were the works of Yuko. It seems to me that Yuko dominated this OST. The only ones that sound like a likely candidate for Yuki for me are Sabertooth's and Magneto's themes. Seems Yuki played a fairly small role in this game's OST, while Yuko did the rest.

I could be wrong, these are merely guesses.

Sorry for how bumping like this and double posting, but this is one i have been looking in to recently and actually finding something.
Old Apr 20, 2011, 12:46 AM

Sorry to bump yet again, but there is something i noticed that i think could be convincing evidence that Yuko did the theme to Cyclops. What you will be hearing is the bassline and percussion to the theme of Cyclops and Nash(a confirmed Yuko song). Note i chose the Zero 2 version of Nash's theme because the instruments were closer, i know Setsuo was credited for handling that version, but the Zero 1 and 2 version are 90% the same really, the percussions and melody and even the channels are exactly the same, the only difference is the speed and the instruments. It seems like an edited version of the same file from Zero 1 just slightly altered.

Cyclops Theme

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=NEKNM9ZA

Nash Theme

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=KEO77KM3
Old Apr 23, 2021, 11:35 AM

Well, if it is of any consolation, I know for a fact Rogue's theme might be by Yuki Iwai, mainly since I've been listening to the song rn and I've been finding out tons of similarities to X2's soundtrack, like the guitar part (at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qo2_Fw-bzsc&t=6s) being fairly similar to the one from X2's intro stage theme, and the breakdown near the end of the loop (at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qo2_Fw-bzsc&t=46s) being fairly similar to the one in Bubble Crab's stage, not to mention the hi-hat patterns in this track being fairly similar to how X2 did it... yeah, might be safe to assume that one is Iwai's then :P

(still would be nice to get some kind of actual confirmation tho, but oh well, can't say that would be even remotely possible anytime soon anyway)