VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Dec 31, 2008, 06:54 AM

Last edited by Prime Blue; Mar 31, 2012 at 09:08 AM.
Old Dec 31, 2008, 07:08 AM
VGMdb Administrator

Thanks for the correction. It's definitely useful to have more people who are strongly familiar with Japanese around here.
Old Jan 14, 2010, 08:57 PM

Last edited by Prime Blue; Mar 31, 2012 at 09:14 AM.
Old Jun 8, 2010, 11:48 AM

Well hello there, official English tracklist. (Courtesey of mercenary09)

1. "It's me, Mario!"
2. Title Theme
3. Peach's Message
4. Opening
5. Super Mario 64 Main Theme
6. Slider
7. Castle
8. Looping Steps
9. Water
10. Fire Bubble
11. Snow Mountain
12. Haunted House
13. Merry-Go-Round
14. Cave Dungeon
15. Pakkun Flower's Lullaby
16. Powerful Mario
17. Metallic Mario
18. File Select
19. Correct Solution
20. Kinopio's Message
21. Power Star
22. Race Fanfare
23. Star Catch Fanfare
24. Game Start
25. Course Clear
26. Game Over
27. Stage Boss
28. Koopa's Message
29. Koopa's Road
30. Koopa's Theme
31. Koopa Clear
32. Ultimate Koopa
33. Ultimate Koopa Clear
34. Ending Demo
35. Staff Roll
36. Pakkun Flower's Lullaby

(And yes, I know it's supposed to be Slide and Packun)

Last edited by kyubihanyou; Jun 8, 2010 at 01:05 PM.
Old Jul 6, 2010, 10:23 AM
VGMdb Staff
VGM Artist

Why did this album get classified as "Vocal"..?
Just for the "It's a me, Mario" ? Seriously ?

Last edited by Myrkul; Jul 6, 2010 at 10:36 AM.
Old Aug 13, 2010, 10:31 AM
VGMdb Advisor

I did that when I thought we were being accurate about this kind of stuff. You might remember that we've talked about it in this thread as well.

Anyways, sorry.
Old Jul 26, 2011, 01:52 PM

I've just finished transcribing the credits for this album. They are all on the front page. The only name I'm not quite confident about is this one: 坂谷浩康. I transcribed it as Yasushi Sakatani, but I could be mistaken.

Last edited by JTurner; Jul 27, 2011 at 06:58 PM.
Old May 25, 2013, 02:01 PM

Not sure it's fair to treat "SLIDER" as an error simply because the game refers to these secret stages as "slides". If it matters, the katakana match up with "slider" as well, and of course the US reprint uses "Slider".

Also not sure where "packun" comes from, other than being a common error. Fun fact: bizarrely enough, English manuals for the original release of Super Mario Land use "Pakkun Flower".

edit: Hmm, seems Double Dash uses "PACKUN", at least. Still not sure it's safe to call it an error, it could just be a newer standard. Is there any older Japanese material that uses Roman anywhere, preferably something around SM64's time?

Last edited by Despatche; May 25, 2013 at 02:05 PM.
Old May 25, 2013, 02:11 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Prime Blue explained "Slide" in his first, deleted post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime Blue
Hey, Secret Squirrel! Saw you've edited the translated title of the sixth track.

But there's a small misconception there, it should really be "Slide", not "Slider" (as in a person who slides).

The katakana read "スライダー" (suraidā / slider), but that's because "slider" is a gairaigo (Japanese loanword) which directly translates to "slide". It's also a synonym for the Japanese word for slide, "すべり台" (see the fourth point on the Japanese Wikipedia article). Same with "orgel" or "takt" which to Japanese people mean "music box" and "baton", respectively.
They go as far as even writing the direct romanizations of the gairaigo on OSTs and games for better understanding (see The Wind Waker, where the Japanese game case reads THE LEGEND OF ZELDA -Takt of Wind- rather than THE LEGEND OF ZELDA -Baton of Wind-) - because they'll easily understand the gairaigo "takt" but not the foreign word "baton".

Further evidence in the game itself:

The title of the course is "ピーチのかくれスライダー" ("Peach's Secret Slide").

He also used Double Dash as his reasoning for "Packun" in his second post.

EDIT: Oh, those titles are printed in the booklet. Huuuh, well. The translation predates those scans being uploaded, so maybe he would've incorporated those.

EDIT 2: Okay, I'm leaving "Slide" as the translation for now, but I did change it to "Pakkun" with a note that this departs from Prime Blue's translation, because the booklet says "Pakkun" and it's not clear if "Packun" is definitely preferred.

Last edited by CHz; May 25, 2013 at 02:40 PM.
Old May 25, 2013, 06:14 PM

What did happen of Prime Blue? He was very knowledgeable :-/
Old May 25, 2013, 10:04 PM

I have a problem with this. Every dictionary you look スライダー up in will give you slider. Every single one.

http://tangorin.com/general/%E3%82%B...83%80%E3%83%BC
http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/%E3%82...83%80%E3%83%BC
http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E3%82%...83%E7%A8%AE%29
The last one is Japanese so I highly doubt it's just the Americans getting it wrong. In fact, the Japanese article in particular talks about a baseball pitch called the slider.

スライド (suraido) is slide. スライダー (suraidā) is slider.

EDIT: Oh, they wrote SLIDER themselves? I don't even know why this is a topic of conversation

Last edited by Hellacia; May 25, 2013 at 10:08 PM.
Old May 25, 2013, 11:07 PM
VGMdb Administrator

It's a topic of discussion because, as Prime Blue explained, while スライダー is linguistically borrowed from the word "slider," when actually used in Japanese it can refer to slides. Then he gave very clear screenshots showing that it's used in Super Mario 64 to refer to a slide, so that's why he translated it as "Slide."

If we were just straight romanizing it then "Slider" might be better (although this gets us into the "thema" discussion again), but as a translation in this context "Slide" is 100% okay. I was close to setting it back to "Slider" because that's printed, but since the English and Japanese tracklists diverge more noticeably in other cases, I'm good with keeping "Slide" as a meaningful translation of スライダー.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellacia View Post
Here's the same dictionary translating ウォータースライダー as "water slide": http://tangorin.com/general/ウォータースライダー.

Incidentally, the updated version of that dictionary, EDICT2, includes "slide" as definition #3 for スライダー.

Quote:
Wiktionary is a crowdsourced dictionary that is very incomplete, so I wouldn't take the absence of a word or meaning as evidence that it doesn't exist.

Quote:
http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E3%82%...83%E7%A8%AE%29
The last one is Japanese so I highly doubt it's just the Americans getting it wrong. In fact, the Japanese article in particular talks about a baseball pitch called the slider.
Why are you using the article on a baseball pitch as a source when we're talking about playground slides?

And while you're on the Japanese Wikipedia, you missed the page Prime Blue linked which states that スライダー can be synonymous with すべり台, a playground slide: http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/スライダー.
Old May 25, 2013, 11:52 PM

Didn't know it was a loanword, thanks. Though at this point I gotta ask whether a translated tracklist is even necessary, especially since it's fairly close to what's printed.

"スライダー (英語: slider)" :V
Old May 26, 2013, 01:33 AM
VGMdb Administrator

Yeah, that's true. I'm quite sure that Prime Blue's translation preceded our discovery here that the Japanese version of the OST has an English tracklist printed in it, or else maybe no one would've bothered. I'm fine with keeping it for the curiosity value for the titles that do differ substantially, like #12 and #32/33.

I don't really have a horse in this race because I use the U.S. release names when I'm talking about SM64's music. :<
Old May 26, 2013, 07:19 AM

Quote:
I have a problem with this. Every dictionary you look スライダー up in will give you slider. Every single one.
Nope. Kenkyusha's Big New J-E (aka the Green Goddess) has "1) [baseball, weaving] slider; 2) a slide, a chute". EDICT lists this meaning as well.
Old May 26, 2013, 07:39 AM

Wow you guys, they wrote slider. It flat-out means slider here. But whatever.
Old Jun 3, 2016, 01:29 PM
VGMdb Administrator

I've rejected the "Martinet" correction a few times so I guess I'll put this here too: his name is printed as "Martinee" on booklet page 2.
Old Jun 3, 2016, 01:56 PM
Trusted Editor

I think this shows that we really need a "locking" feature for albums.
Old Jun 5, 2016, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHz View Post
I've rejected the "Martinet" correction a few times so I guess I'll put this here too: his name is printed as "Martinee" on booklet page 2.
Is it clear that the correction is wrong? The verbatim text in the booklet does misspell his name, but vgmdb's composer and performer fields often deviate from the booklet. A case in point would be the crediting of composers who were not mentioned in the original booklet.

In this case, to accommodate the misspelling, "Charles Martinee" has been added as an official variation on Charles Martinet's artist page:

http://vgmdb.net/artist/8230

which itself seems wrong, as "Martinee" is not actually an accepted variation on the artist's name. It's just a typo, and nothing more than that.

If I had to suggest something, realizing I have much less background info than the editors here, it would be to:

- Remove Martinee as a listed variation on the artist page
- Link the album performer to the artist page using the correct spelling
- Mention in the notes that Charles' name was misspelled in the booklet, as it is an interesting factoid about the album
Old Jun 5, 2016, 12:23 PM

I've actually seen "Charles Martinee" on more occassions other than this album (including various staff credits from the N64 era). What I'm guessing here with the Martinet - Martinee derivation is just that this is a case for Engrish (or bad romanization of the katakana チャールズ・マーティネー, "Chāruzu Mātinē"), and a lack of supervision of overseas staff who could be aware of the name being wrongly written.
Old Jun 5, 2016, 12:25 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rrolack View Post
- Remove Martinee as a listed variation on the artist page
We're inconsistent about this: some people add misspellings as variations and some don't. I prefer not to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rrolack View Post
- Mention in the notes that Charles' name was misspelled in the booklet
Not a bad idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBMNintendoGamer View Post
What I'm guessing here with the Martinet - Martinee derivation is just that this is a case for Engrish (or bad romanization of the katakana チャールズ・マーティネー, "Chāruzu Mātinē"), and a lack of supervision of overseas staff who could be aware of the name being wrongly written.
This is my assumption, yeah.
Old Jun 5, 2016, 12:45 PM
VGMdb Staff

Apart from album / track titles where I think we're much more consistent (not doing any correction except an optional mention in the notes), I do correct artist names if it's a very obvious typo (e.g. some of the orchestra members on Steamboy OST), don't consider such typo a variation. Just saying.

Last edited by Efendija; Jun 5, 2016 at 01:56 PM.
Old Jun 6, 2016, 02:58 AM
VGMdb Staff

Yeah it's definitely a matter that is inconsistant across the site as a whole because, as CHz says, some do correct typos, some don't and some do both. I know I'm guilty of the latter but, the way I look at it is, if the typo is the kind of mistake that could easily be repeated (and that includes input error as well as incorrect crediting), it serves the database to keep it as a variation on the artist's page so it gets caught automatically - classic example here - that's a mistake you could see being made time and again.
Old Sep 6, 2020, 10:47 PM

Thanks to Google Translate app on my iPhone, I was able to scan Hirokazu Tanaka's essay on the back cover of the SUPER MARIO 64 Soundtrack album. This is an essay that has never been translated, so I thought it would be nice to show it here.

「スーパーマリオ64オリジナルサウンドトラック」の制作をおえて

あの印象的なイントロで一世を風廃した「スーパーマリオ」から約11年。今回、新ハード、NINTENDO 64で「スーパーマリオ64」を楽しんでもらうことになりました。そしてポニーキャニオンより「NINTE NDO64サウンドシリーズ」第一弾として「スーパーマリオ64オリジナルサウンドトラック」を出すことが できました。実は、NINTENDO64のゲーム音楽が聴けるのはこのシリーズだけです。このシリーズは「 ゲーム音楽」という枠を越えて「任天堂の音楽」の魅力をもっと楽しんでもらおうと企画したものです。さらに 、任天堂の音楽スタッフが直接CD制作にたずさわる唯一のものでもあります。今回のマリオ64の作曲者(近 藤浩治)も、そんなスタッフの一人です。彼は一連のマリオシリーズなど、すばらしい曲をずっと作り続けてく れています。今後もこのシリーズを通して、任天堂の音楽の魅力、さらには任天堂の創る「ソフト」の魅力を少 しでも伝えていけたらと考えています。これからも任天堂では、面白いゲームをドンドンだしていきます。この 「NINTENDO64サウンドシリーズ」も、そんなゲームと一緒に末永く、聴き、楽しんでもらえたらと願 っています。最後にゲームの発売日と日程が重なり、限られた時間の中、このCD制作にたずさわってくれた、 たくさんのスタッフのみなさん、ほんとうにありがとうございました。

任天堂株式会社
田中宏和
May 1996

Also is some track commentary by Koji Kondo for select tracks:
TRACK 2: TITLE
なつかしのスーパーマリオのテーマです。あれから10年経ちました。でもマリオは変わっていませんよという 意味でまたこの曲で登場です.

TRACK 5: MAIN THEME
この曲のメロディーをテーマに色々な曲で使ってます。マリオのかけ声に合うように、ブラスやベースの音を全 面に出して力強くて楽しい雰囲気にしました

TRACK 6: SLIDER
スライダーで滑っていく気持ちよさを、あのバンジョーの鈴の転がるようなフレーズと、ロずさんでもらえるよ うに口笛を入れました

TRACK 9: ウォーターランド
静かな曲ですが、ゲームでは、奥の方へ進んだり、陸に上がったりするとだんだんと楽器が増えてにぎやかにな っています。

TRACK 12: テレサのホラーハウス
ホラーハウスの中で、外では鳴っていなかった鐘系のパーカッションの音が鳴るようにし、またメリーゴーラン ドのかわいらしい曲でいっそう恐ろしい雰囲気にしてます。

TRACK 15: パックンフラワーの子守歌
マリオも走り回ったりたくさんの敵と戦って大変だなーと思ったら、このパックンフラワーの近くで休ませてあ げてください。

主な曲の解説/近藤浩治

If anyone wants to translate these, give it a try.
Old Jan 20, 2022, 11:16 PM

I want to congratulate the person who decided that the back of the case and/or the back of the booklet was not a good place to put the tracklist, but inside the booklet only was a great idea.

Also, it's a shame this OST doesn't include any SFX/voices except for the opening sentence. Maybe it was complicated because Charles Martinet had specific rights on his Mario performances. No idea. Or just Nintendo being 1990s lazy and not caring much about their osts.
Old Jan 21, 2022, 05:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuxKiller65 View Post
Also, it's a shame this OST doesn't include any SFX/voices except for the opening sentence. Maybe it was complicated because Charles Martinet had specific rights on his Mario performances. No idea. Or just Nintendo being 1990s lazy and not caring much about their osts.
I wouldn't call that a 'shame', I'd call that 'thank god'.
Old Jan 21, 2022, 05:51 PM

it's very nice when they put sfx/voices at the end of an album, if you don't want them you don't have to listen to them, but they make a work complete and it's nice for historical purposes too. i'm not talking about mixing them in the actual tracks.
Old Jan 22, 2022, 05:11 AM

Well it's a good way to get me to NOT buy the CD.
Old Jan 22, 2022, 08:54 AM

I see we have two different opinions here lol. Voices/SFX are nice, if they have a special meaning to the game or the music. However, I don't think they should be included on the soundtrack CD. For example, I think the very first Pokémon soundtrack for Red and Blue/Green featured all the Pokémon sfx from the PokéDex, and it was really annoying and total waste of space in my opinion. On the other hand, FFX OST features two short voice snippets from Tidus and Yuna - but only in Japanese. It's nice - if you understand that language (I don't). For Mario, I think it's cool they included the famous line on the OST, but I don't need all that Mario shouts and other bleeps. If I want that, I would play the game.
Old Jan 22, 2022, 09:51 AM
Trusted Editor

I think the inclusion of the, what you call voice snippets, on the OST is absolutely brilliant. However it only becomes apparant if you've played the game, and can identify Tidus narration as the first monologue/dialogue in the game, and Yunas narration as the last one. So similar to how they function as a sort of "frame" in the game, they do the same on the OST.

I'm not aware of something like this on any other game soundtrack. Anyone?