VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Miscellaneous Discussion > Artist Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Nov 26, 2011, 09:51 PM
Trusted Editor

So I suppose her real name is June, and not Jun? I'd always assumed June (pronounced and spelled like the English month) was an alias, like Chiki.

Last edited by dissident93; Nov 28, 2011 at 12:45 AM.
Old Mar 5, 2012, 06:28 AM

Speaking of aliases, June is credited as "Atsushi Chikuma" in at least two games (PC-Engine Bomberman and Super Bomberman, perhaps others as well.) The same is true for Jun Enoki, having been credited as "Atsushi Enoki" at least once.

As such I suspect it's an error in romanisation, though I don't know for sure. Eitherway, I though it a good idea to put Atsushi Chikuma under name variations, so that when searched it returns a result, and so people realise Atsushi & Jun = same person.
Old Mar 5, 2012, 04:50 PM
VGMdb Administrator

@dissident93 The English word "June" and the name "Jun" are pronounced similarly, so the difference is mostly stylistic. "Jun" would be the more normal way of writing the name, and she used it a lot earlier in her career, but she seems to prefer "June" now.

@Lunar ζ·³ can be read as both "Jun" and "Atsushi," yeah. June Chikuma includes both of those games on her works list, as well as Doraemon for the NES (another "Atsushi" game), so it's definitely her. An unfortunate misreading, as Atsushi is a male name. :<
Old Mar 6, 2012, 03:44 AM

I'll admit that's why I hesitated on making the edit for so long, that it might not be an alias so much as a mistake. But it's nonetheless good information to keep here I think.
Old Mar 9, 2012, 03:43 AM
Trusted Editor

Ahh. So the proper name would be Jun, and not Jun-eh? I'm picky about this sort of thing. :P
Old Mar 9, 2012, 05:36 AM
VGMdb Administrator

Well, depends on what you mean by "proper." A direct transcription of her first name in Japanese using the most common system we use here (Hepburn) is Jun. So that's proper in that it's regular, but it's also not because that's not how she writes her name in English any more. She's been using "June" since 2005 or so, and it's on both her English and Japanese profiles.

"June" could be the Japanese ju-ne (γ˜γ‚…γ­), but I'm fairly certain it's meant to be the English name "June," which is pronounced more or less the same as the Japanese name Jun ("June" would usually be written with a long vowel, but I'll give it to her). So it's not really made-up or anything terribly drastic, but just a westernization of her name. It's not a one-to-one mechanical substitution of the characters, but since it's pronounced the same and she uses it reasonably consistently, I don't think it's any less proper than Jun when referring to her in English.
Old Mar 10, 2012, 01:29 AM
Trusted Editor

Alrighty, gotcha. : )
Old Feb 1, 2019, 05:37 PM

Freedom To Spend is reissuing an older release of hers which includes two unreleased tracks.

https://www.residentadvisor.net/news/43192
http://www.freedomtospend.org/catalo...a-les-archives
https://junechikuma.bandcamp.com/album/les-archives

Original 1986 release info here: https://www.discogs.com/Atsushi-Chik...elease/7418516 For some reason, she tried to remove the information of this release on Discogs 3 years ago.
Old Dec 26, 2021, 02:21 AM
VGMdb Administrator

Working on some albums πŸ‘πŸ‘ https://kotaku.com/the-unique-artist...ats-1848268051
Quote:
Chikuma is currently busy at work on several personal projects. β€œI am going to release an album which gathers my old pieces,” she said. β€œIt is called the Midas Touch and will be out on March 7th 2022 from Star Creature in Chicago. It [features] smooth jazz, ambient music and so on. And the new album which I will release next is electronic music which I made only with a digital audio workstation, without any acoustic instruments.”