VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old May 26, 2013, 03:40 PM
Trusted Editor

Woah, this is really good stuff. She should make a full-length album in this style.

Track 1 and 2 could come straight out of Wild Arms game. Tr. 2 even has the characteristic whistling. Tr. 3 is kinda trancey, but very enjoyable. The final one is piano with a bit of ambient. A good mix
Old May 26, 2013, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidAcid View Post
She should make a full-length album in this style.
She did. It's called Wild Arms.

Seriously though, you said it best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidAcid View Post
Track 1 and 2 could come straight out of Wild Arms game. Tr. 2 even has the characteristic whistling.
My problem with Naruke is that she's very samey, and it's not a samey that I'm crazy about. It's kind of like Yamane and Sakuraba; sometimes, I'm just over what they do. I'm so over the whistling gimmick. It was cool in Wild Arms, when there was like 3 whistling songs in VGM ever. But it spread like a disease, man. Wild Arms mostly achieves mediocrity with me and this CD is no exception. And yes, I have heard this CD, and almost all of Naruke's stuff in Wild Arms (she didn't do WA5, I believe).

This CD, by far, is not bad. It just kind of makes my eyes roll back in my head while I think "okay, Naruke." And then, Naruke is not bad either. I just don't think any of her soundtracks have lasting appeal. The songs don't ever stick with me like... all other VGM does. I dunno.

EDIT: To expand on my thoughts about this CD a little more, I particularly dislike how blatantly Wild Arms it sounds. If Naruke is composing for Wild Arms and she puts whistling in a bunch of songs to fit the Western theme, okay, understandable. She's somewhat confined by what she's writing for, which is the game. Here? Seriously, her own CD is her chance to do something even slightly new. I don't want to hear Wild Arms every time I listen to Naruke just like I don't want to hear Castlevania every time I listen to Yamane, or Star Ocean every time I listen to Sakuraba. But IIRC Sakuraba had an independent album that really surprised me with how non-Star Ocean it was, and that was GREAT (and the music was also good in itself). Naruke doing Wild Arms music all the time is just blah, seriously.

Last edited by Hellacia; May 26, 2013 at 08:33 PM.
Old May 26, 2013, 09:11 PM

Maybe it's a hint of things to come?

WA series due for a reboot. It's like there was a flood of games 6-7 years ago, then *poof*...series go bye-bye.
Old May 26, 2013, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellacia View Post
My problem with Naruke is that she's very samey, and it's not a samey that I'm crazy about. It's kind of like Yamane and Sakuraba; sometimes, I'm just over what they do. I'm so over the whistling gimmick. It was cool in Wild Arms, when there was like 3 whistling songs in VGM ever. But it spread like a disease, man. Wild Arms mostly achieves mediocrity with me and this CD is no exception. And yes, I have heard this CD, and almost all of Naruke's stuff in Wild Arms (she didn't do WA5, I believe).

This CD, by far, is not bad. It just kind of makes my eyes roll back in my head while I think "okay, Naruke." And then, Naruke is not bad either. I just don't think any of her soundtracks have lasting appeal. The songs don't ever stick with me like... all other VGM does. I dunno.

EDIT: To expand on my thoughts about this CD a little more, I particularly dislike how blatantly Wild Arms it sounds. If Naruke is composing for Wild Arms and she puts whistling in a bunch of songs to fit the Western theme, okay, understandable. She's somewhat confined by what she's writing for, which is the game. Here? Seriously, her own CD is her chance to do something even slightly new. I don't want to hear Wild Arms every time I listen to Naruke just like I don't want to hear Castlevania every time I listen to Yamane, or Star Ocean every time I listen to Sakuraba. But IIRC Sakuraba had an independent album that really surprised me with how non-Star Ocean it was, and that was GREAT (and the music was also good in itself). Naruke doing Wild Arms music all the time is just blah, seriously.
Although the pieces she did for Shimotsuki's Griotte no Nemurihime and Koboreru Suna no ARIA, either as arrangements or composition and arrangements, didn't have any of the marks typical to her Wild Arms works. This is doubly true for the whistling, as none of these songs had any of that in them.
Old May 26, 2013, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldfishX View Post
Maybe it's a hint of things to come?

WA series due for a reboot. It's like there was a flood of games 6-7 years ago, then *poof*...series go bye-bye.
This is announced as the first album of her solo work series, so more will come, but they won't have something to do with WA.
Old May 27, 2013, 02:43 AM
Trusted Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquagon View Post
Although the pieces she did for Shimotsuki's Griotte no Nemurihime and Koboreru Suna no ARIA, either as arrangements or composition and arrangements, didn't have any of the marks typical to her Wild Arms works. This is doubly true for the whistling, as none of these songs had any of that in them.
I would say the same about Noora to Toki no Koubou (composition) and her arranging for Guwange and Dariusburst.

Also it's the typical Hellacia bitching, so don't take it too seriously guys
Old May 27, 2013, 09:48 AM

How funny you're so quick to judge me considering the roles were literally reversed in the Smooth McGroove thread, where I had really great stuff to say and you were the one bitching - "If you want to torture me, this is the way to go". I didn't even bitch that hard about Naruke in this thread. But whatever, discredit my opinion if it makes you feel better about yours. Naruke is samey, and her music achieves mediocrity with me. Honest opinion.

Last edited by Hellacia; May 27, 2013 at 09:51 AM.
Old May 27, 2013, 09:54 AM
Trusted Editor

After your past "outbursts" I'm not taking you serious anyway, so... yeah
Old May 27, 2013, 09:58 AM

Awww, I have a feeling it's personal, bro You mad a little?

Notice how, in that thread, I didn't have anything to say about his negative opinion because I can accept that it's his, and yet in this thread, he tries to discredit mine. Someone needs to do a little bit of growing up and learn how to accept other people's opinions...

Last edited by Hellacia; May 27, 2013 at 10:01 AM.
Old Nov 17, 2020, 07:24 PM

Confirmed via inner circle of CD the catalogue numbers of the following albums:

TCE-4086 Michiki Naruke: Feedback
TTCD-6187J Michiki Naruke: Feedback 2nd
NAR-3.1 Michiki Naruke: Feedback 3rd +
NAR-004 Michiki Naruke: Feedback 4th
NAR-005 Michiki Naruke: Feedback 5th
NAR-06 Michiki Naruke: Feedback 6th
NAR-07 Michiki Naruke: Feedback 7th

The first album appeared to have two possible catalogue numbers: TCE-4086 and NAR-004 (shared with Feedback 4th) so I went with the former.

Last edited by layzee; Nov 17, 2020 at 07:27 PM.