VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Jun 26, 2015, 01:38 PM

Smile unique/dark/industrial/textural noise ost's

Things I would describe as unique/strange/ambient/textural/industrial/noise/dark/horror/weird

Galerians: Ash
Galerians: Rion
serial experiment lain: bootleg
serial experiment lain: cyberia mix

these albums were so incredible! I've been searching for this similar style for ever!
Can anyone recommend anything in this style?!
could be from game or movie!
preferably from 90's or early 2000's
Old Jun 26, 2015, 03:57 PM
VGMdb Advisor

I'm sure you've heard (of) them already, but if not, check out the Silent Hill soundtracks. Those are truly one-of-a-kind horror soundtracks. Particularly 1-3 if you want some industrial and/or noise madness.

Then there's always kt2, a kind of obscure (or not?) composer who unfortunately hasn't done much (that I/we know of at least) since 2006 or so. I recommend ABANDONER from him - it's probably his darkest soundtrack. "Nightmare IV" from that soundtrack has a really dark feel to it.

The entirety of the soundtrack "Demento" (aka Haunting Ground) by Seiko Kobuchi is pretty cool I guess. Maybe not the most creative, but if you want crazy, give a listen to "Something Lacking"...

"Creeping Shadows" from Clock Tower 3 (a "prequel" to Demento) is a favorite of mine in the Clock Tower/Haunting Ground franchise.

Speaking of unique, let's not forget about Drag-on Dragoon. It's more melodic, which may or may not be your cup of tea in terms of horror soundtracks, but I urge you to check out "Chapter X - On the Ground".

Of course, sometimes you just find dark/unique stuff at random, where you'd least expect it. Actually, something about the Ace Combat 3 soundtrack gives me a Galerians vibe in-between some of the tracks. Like "Defiled", "Kernel" and "Amorphous", just to name a few.. There was something special about the year 1999 for (horror) music I guess (Galerians, Silent Hill 1, and this...)

I don't know, these are all of course just my opinions. It's all I can think of for now. Let me know what you think..
Old Jun 26, 2015, 04:29 PM

Was going to recommend Demento as well. Give the track "Ultimate Demento" a listen after "Something Lacking". When I first heard it, it blew my mind. Now it sounds humourous to me, but in an interesting kind of way.

And yes, Drag-on Dragoon! Seriously amazing.
Old Jun 26, 2015, 05:01 PM

Quote:
unique/strange/ambient/textural/industrial/noise/dark/horror/weird
Two trios from Gungrave come to mind:
no smoking palais, Q.E.D., speed freaks, the void, wire no.9, x-toy
Old Jun 30, 2015, 12:23 PM

Default :)

Hey thanks everyone! These are all very interesting! I especially am digging the ABANDONER one and Drakengard! Let me know if you guys can think of anything else!
THANKS AGAIN!!!
Old Jun 30, 2015, 02:45 PM
VGMdb Advisor

Baroque (the original for SS/PSX, not the PS2 remake).
Old Jun 30, 2015, 03:01 PM

Ambient Suite comes to my mind right away. Next thing I think of is in the post right above mine

Tags
industrial, strange, textural, unique, weird