VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Miscellaneous Discussion > Artist Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Aug 4, 2009, 04:27 PM
VGMdb Advisor
VGM Artist

Some people at Wikipedia are trying to get Kenji's article deleted. It would be great if we could push back on this and maybe fill in some sources or whatnot.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kenji_Y...me_musician%29

Perhaps we could also populate some info on his biography here as well.
Old Aug 4, 2009, 05:25 PM

Quote:
vgmdb is a user edited site and not a reliable source.
Quoted for hilarity coming from a Wikipedia user. I don't understand why having scans of liner notes and whatnot wouldn't make VGMdb a reliable source.
Old Aug 4, 2009, 10:38 PM
VGMdb Advisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eirikr View Post
wikipedia is a user edited site and not a reliable source.
Here, that would be better.
Old Aug 5, 2009, 11:19 AM

Eww, English Wikipedia going the way of German Wikipedia of deleting anything deemed unnotable, how great...
Old Aug 10, 2009, 03:22 PM
VGMdb Administrator

It really comes down to Wikipedia's purpose, and what their goals are in expanding their anime and game sections. I don't think that Wikipedia is the place to exhaustively catalog everything and everyone related to game or anime music, so they have to draw some kind of line at notability. There are other sites out there that will do a better job covering each of these topics (including us.)

To be honest, they've gone way overboard on their anime section; most of those titles aren't notable at all.
Old Aug 10, 2009, 04:56 PM

I honestly don't know why "notabilty" is such an issue, what's notable to one isn't to others etc. Instead completely deleting whole editing histories based on such debatable qualities the "notability" should be nothing more than a rating scale, and articles with low "notability" should be easy to filter out based on that. Solved. Instead they decided to introduce additional bad blood and big drama into a dictionary project building upon voluntary contributions, good idea.
Old Aug 11, 2009, 01:27 AM

there should really be no question about his notability, he isn't mr. obscurepants or anything. i don't know what they're getting in a fuss about.

I agree though, it would be nice to keep biographies here as well; only thing is vgmdb currently doesn't have many, the biography fields on profile pages are mostly blank at the moment. also there's only CD releases rather than game credits (i gather those will be added in future?), and the only aliases that get stored are ones that appear on soundtrack releases (for example, it would be cool to have "ZAP RODEO" listed on Hideki Kanagushi's profile, even though it isn't on any CDs.) probably drifting off-topic there a bit, apologies if so.
Old Aug 13, 2009, 03:03 PM
VGMdb Advisor
VGM Artist

It appears the article got deleted, but oh well, that's Wikipedia for you. The problem I have with this notability thing is how there are hundreds of articles of local indie bands that I've never heard of and barely have more than a single album each, but this guy who composed for dozens of million-seller games isn't notable and should have his article deleted. I find it sad that simply because his name doesn't get around like other people's, he's just deemed as irrelevant; I mean, his body of work is quite substantial.

And Eirikr, I agree about the scans. I mentioned that in the deletion discussion, but I guess it was glossed over by the delete-mongers.

Anyway, it was worth a shot, even if it's outside of the scope of our site. I do agree with Blitz Lunar, however. We could use more of Wikipedia's information (and the people supplying this information) to instead be presented here at VGMdb.

Last edited by Kaleb.G; Aug 13, 2009 at 03:06 PM.
Old Aug 13, 2009, 04:41 PM

Quote:
We could use more of Wikipedia's information (and the people supplying this information) to instead be presented here at VGMdb.
This isn't a good idea. As someone who researches a lot about composers, I can tell you that the majority of composer pages on Wikipedia are incomplete, poorly written, and inaccurate. I'm sure there are a few good contributors, but it's not enough. I have qualms about the quality and consistency of VGMdb, but at least it's equipped with a few experts and contributors to eventually fix mistakes. More dumping of unreliable information would make the journey that bit longer.

Last edited by Chris; Aug 13, 2009 at 04:51 PM.
Old Apr 5, 2012, 09:58 AM

Blah blah Dragon Ball Kai, blah blah new article, blah blah. You can bet your ass the controversy is the only reason they want this article now.

I'd like to know if anyone else can guess why he did what he did with Kai. It doesn't seem like he's done this with any of his other work; maybe he has.
Old Jul 4, 2014, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Despatche View Post
Blah blah Dragon Ball Kai, blah blah new article, blah blah. You can bet your ass the controversy is the only reason they want this article now.

I'd like to know if anyone else can guess why he did what he did with Kai. It doesn't seem like he's done this with any of his other work; maybe he has.
Believe me, he has.
Google it, there are lots of comparison videos on YouTube.

I bet that there are lots of comments on any song he composed referring to something that he plagiarized too.
It's surprising.
You will find at least 3 songs on each project he has worked on that plagiarizes someone else's song, even in the 90s... And I'm going easy on him.
Old May 22, 2015, 05:09 PM

kenji Yamamoto? Plagiarizing? you bet your ass, your arms your EVERYTHING that he has been doing since the dawn of his "lying" compositions.
He use dmusic from Kenji Kawai, from Koh Ohtani from Miayagawa, from JOhn Carpenter, in his "own" soundtracks of dragon ball z....
oh by the way. The theme of cell in Super Botuden 1 or 2... is the TOTAL RECALL MAIN THEME. Yes, the full main theme only re-arrange by HIM. he never composed anything original, and if he did... that is rare.
The Finish heavy metal band, Stratovarius, got plagiarized by him into... he Budokai soundtracks.
Want more? Devil May Cry Anime. There was one track... yeah.. that is also in a game of DBZ in the same year re-arranged. But he is credited as such.
You still wanna be in the dark and believe he was a good composer when he practically "Stole" music from other artists when he insists in pointing in the game booklets that he is the COMPOSER.
Ultimate battle 22 is my most hated soundtrack. He took a lot of original SONGS not related to dragon ball AT ALL and re-arranged.... but still lying has "COMPOSER". The song "Stalemate!!" is an arrange of 20XX ZETSU-AI~CRIME OF PASSION~ from this cd.
Super Butoden 3 "The New Z Warrior ~ The True Battle Begins! ~" is an arrange of Kenji Kawai's track, the main theme of the live action movie "The Red Spectacles".
I could go on forever pointing everything that is not original. Imagine yourself having a vast knowledge of music that only you care about, and suddenly you get this lying "composer" saying he composed music when he never did it at all, and you see that is literally rubbing in your face how dumb you are for not noticing what he does.
I am glad that finally he was brought down. I have been wanting that since 1998 with that crap of ultimate battle, because till then...... he was really getting on my nerves.... Finally, a deserved punishment.

Last edited by RomanticScent; May 22, 2015 at 05:13 PM.
Old Aug 5, 2016, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomanticScent View Post
kenji Yamamoto? Plagiarizing? you bet your ass, your arms your EVERYTHING that he has been doing since the dawn of his "lying" compositions.
Yet no one has criticized Yuzo Koshiro, who built his fame on ripping off lesser known Euro Pop and adapting it for video games. When I found this out, I lost some respect for him.

Game Sack did an impressive expose on a practice used commonly in the 80s and 90s for game soundtracks.

http://finalbosses.com/game-music-sa...c-plagiarized/
Old Aug 5, 2016, 08:46 AM

I'm surprised to see some of the big names ripping off other people I mean it just feels strange yet some of the arranges they did in the game sounded actually cooler than the music itself that their ripping off. I mean zelda I never knew Kondo would be ripping off anyone yet we all love his stuff and I still do. It's very interesting though some tracks that ripped off I never even heard of until now. I remember back in 2000 when I first heard Ultimate Battle 22 by Yamamoto I didn't even know he ripped that soundtrack off almost note by note. I still like Koshiro though his Ys stuff is amazing.

To be honest maybe perhaps VGM is like another band of group not always but seeing as I grew up with a lot of the music from the 90's it has to be a nostalgia feel and it's just damn good hehe. Sorry trying to explain it as much as possible

Last edited by Andvari; Aug 5, 2016 at 08:52 AM.
Old May 13, 2017, 10:12 PM

I'm wondering now it's just that why did they let this slip through the cracks so much even in the 80's and 90's when I first found about this through UB 22 I mean I'll be honest when I first hears it to me It didn't sound like anything else. It sounded like it was just normal catchy cool VGM but after haring about what he has done in the last 6 years or so I am thinking why Kenji why did you have even the slightest ability to do music theory and composition. I know musicians in band who are able to wreite and compose and their self tauhgt not all of them but some are. I just can't wrap my mind around this why Kenji why does this mean the end to him? I haven't seen him around in a while wo maybe. Is it possible if he got his act together that he would start composing again maybe not for Dragonball but for something else? I've known about this before when whenever something pop into my mind and I start hearing about it I start to analyze about it and this is just disappointing back in the 90's I loved some of the themes in UB 22 and Super Butoden for the SNES but now i'm just shocked just shocked Feel free to give your own opinions on this. Let me hear what you guys have to say. Do you think his career is pretty much done or does he still have somewhat of a chance. Sorry for the rambling. Just speaking my mind thanks.
Old Apr 25, 2020, 08:02 AM
Trusted Editor

Can we possibly get a full list of works that he plagiarized, organized per OST he'd worked on?
Preferably from the video games, and then Kai and the original series.
Old Jun 5, 2020, 07:13 PM
Trusted Editor

Also, should it be put in his bio that he is currently banned from composing?