VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Jun 17, 2008, 01:13 PM

Default Super Smash Bros. Brawl

I'm sure the word might have spread around by now, but if it didn't, I'm making my own gamerip of Super Smash Bros. Brawl. I have everything ripped, edited and encoded and I just finished the tagging process; although this is where I'd like to request some help. I'm pretty confident I have most of the artist and original artist information written down, complete and accurate, although there is a bunch of areas I'm concerned about. I don't necessarily expect anyone to go through the entire NFO I've written up, but I'm sure I've made a bunch of mistakes or omissions in a lot of places, particularly in the last 80 or so tracks in the rip. Anyway, the major areas I'm concerned about are these:

Track 56 - "Mach Rider (Melee)" - Is there any composer info for Mach Rider, or would I just have to make do with crediting Nintendo as the original artist?

Tracks 272-280 - I have no idea what games in the WarioWare series all of these tracks come from, or who exactly their respective composers are.

Tracks 288-307 - These are all of the fighter victory fanfares in the game, and I'm sure they've all been arranged from their originals. I have no idea where to start as I'm unfamiliar with most of Nintendo's game franchises.

All the information from the first 258 tracks in the rip came from Brawl's soundtest, minus the "original artist", "artist" and "performer" fields. Everything after that I copy+pasted/wrote up manually. As I'm sure nobody would have any idea what the respective songs are that this tracklist refers to - I would post individual (extremely low CBR-encoded) mp3s for anyone willing to help, though I'm not sure if I'm allowed to do that; I guess that would be Squirrel's/Gigablah's call.

Anyway; the NFO can be viewed here. Anyone willing to help out will receive a credit under the 'Special Thanks' section when I release this gamerip.

Last edited by Blue_Kirby2; Jun 22, 2008 at 08:18 AM.
Old Jun 17, 2008, 03:07 PM
VGMdb Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_Kirby2 View Post
Tracks 50 and 57 - "Mother (Melee)", "Mother 2 (Melee)" - I know that Hirokazu Tanaka and Keiichi Suzuki are both credited on Mother 1 and 2, but I'm wondering which of the two guys specifically composed these two tracks.
Looking at the ambiguous naming here it seems to me they're medley's, in which case it's likely that both should be credited anyway. You could always check out the original music if you want to try to verify this, but I doubt anyone will blame you if you just stick with the dual credits.

And about the Super Metroid track, I believe the arrangement of "Theme of Samus Aran: Galactic Warrior" that's on the Sound in Action album is just a straight arrangement of the original track. So perhaps the Brawl version is also a medley?
Old Jun 17, 2008, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_Kirby2 View Post
Tracks 50 and 57 - "Mother (Melee)", "Mother 2 (Melee)" - I know that Hirokazu Tanaka and Keiichi Suzuki are both credited on Mother 1 and 2, but I'm wondering which of the two guys specifically composed these two tracks.
"Mother" is a medley of "Bein' Friends", composed by Suzuki, and "Eight Melodies", which is a collaboration between both composers. So both should be listed.
"Mother 2" is just an arrangement of "Pollyanna", which was composed by Suzuki alone.

Quote:
Track 56 - "Mach Rider (Melee)" - Is there any composer info for Mach Rider, or would I just have to make do with crediting Nintendo as the original artist?
Unfortunately, we don't know the composer by name. There is a compilation album listed in VGMdb that included Mach Rider, but it only credits "Nintendo Sound Team" or something like that.

Quote:
Track 87 - "DK Jungle 1 Theme (Barrel Blast)" - This song is from Donkey Kong: Barrel Blast and apparently there's no composer info to be found anywhere for this either. I did notice that MobyGames recently put up a data page for the game, which I find a reliable source for composer info. However, there's nothing there as of yet.
We had a discussion on this in one of the GFF threads. There still aren't any credits available online anywhere; it's likely to be someone like Takashi Kouga or Yuuichi Kanno, who were involved in the other DK games developed by Paon Corporation.

Quote:
Track 113 - "Theme of Samus Aran, Space Warrior" - I'm not sure if either Kenji Yamamoto or Minako Hamano wrote the original composition for this. On this album, part of the arranged version of the theme can be heard on track 16 (composed by Yamamoto), but even more is used in track 38 (composed by Hamano). I've never played Super Metroid so I just skimmed through the album trying to find where this theme originated from. Can anyone shed some light on this?
Yeah, the track pretty much follows the blueprint of Hamano's "Ending".

Quote:
Tracks 171 and 172 - "Humoresque of a Little Dog", "Snowman" - Same as Tracks 50 and 57 (wondering who exactly composed what).
Both were composed by Hirokazu Tanaka.
Old Jun 18, 2008, 11:53 AM

NFO's updated with the new info. Thanks guys!

seanne: Yeah, I know a minor error in a gamerip is hardly much to worry about, although I do have a knack for perfection. I'd rather just do it right the first time rather than revise the rip and rerelease edited tracks/SFV files, you know?

And like WarpStar said, SM's "Ending" theme sounds more closer to the version arranged in Brawl, so I credited Hamano only.
Old Jun 22, 2008, 08:20 AM

I managed to unlock the staff credits in DK Barrel Blast (from a copy of the game that I borrowed), so I no longer need the composer info. I have since submitted all of the staff credits information to GameFAQs here.

I suppose my work here is done... should have this gamerip released fairly soon. If you know where I lurk, anyway.