VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Product (Game) Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Sep 16, 2011, 02:58 AM

Default Sword of Mana (#216)

As we know Sword of Mana is a remake of SD1 (aka Final Fantasy Adventure), so one can argue we should keep this as a release of SD1. Not really oppose to making a separated entry per se, though, since I've being the same thing several times, and I'd really want to listen to what others think of (we definitely lack a substantial discussion on products so much I occasionally have to post a thread to draw an attention ).
Old Sep 16, 2011, 03:29 AM

Actually, I did not know that. Interesting.

If a remake is substantially different than the original, then it's its own game, really. It would be like saying Oath in Felghana is Wanderers from Ys; these two games are very different from each other. They're really not "the same game". Can't comment on SD1 / Sword of Mana, but I'm going to guess Sword of Mana is pretty different, and as such I think it should have its own entries. Otherwise, we might as well start listing the original game's platform in the represented platforms field for soundtracks because the original game's music came from that platform (and if the music is substantially different as well, then that's just more reason to give everything its own entry, game included).

My thoughts, anyway.

Last edited by Hellacia; Sep 16, 2011 at 03:34 AM.
Old Sep 16, 2011, 03:44 AM
VGMdb Administrator

Do we need a new type of relationship that designates a game as a remake (or re-imagining) of an older game?
Old Sep 21, 2011, 06:01 AM
VGMdb Advisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secret Squirrel View Post
Do we need a new type of relationship that designates a game as a remake (or re-imagining) of an older game?
I think so. http://vgmdb.net/album/1219 hasn't been linked yet because of this.
Old Sep 16, 2011, 05:41 PM

Sword of Mana is hardly a mere remake. It's not like FFIV DS where they just 3dize everything and add some new gameplay elements and scenes. It's closer to Metroid Zero Mission in spirit....if not even further divergance.
Old Sep 17, 2011, 06:37 PM

Music is exactly the same though, just using sampled instruments and padded to make it sound fuller.