VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Search

Old Sep 27, 2011, 03:00 AM

This album can still be downloaded for free through mirrors, but on the official Bandcamp page is written "Buy Now $0.50 USD or more".

So yeah, I switched the price entry for this one to "0.50USD" as I think it's more or less the official price.
Old Oct 5, 2011, 11:45 PM

The $0.50 on Bandcamp is to cover the costs of hosting the music there. Theophany doesn't make a profit as far as I can tell, and even recommends downloading the EP from one of the alternative mirrors.

What a fantastic EP. I highly recommend everyone gives the EP a listen.
Old Oct 6, 2011, 07:42 AM
VGMdb Advisor
VGM Artist

The $0.50 isn't to cover anything. What happened is that Bandcamp only allows a finite number of free downloads, after which it automatically switches the price from free, usually to $1.00. Theophany probably made it $0.50 because Bandcamp doesn't allow it to be priced any lower than that once the free download limit is exhausted.

IIRC, the price is supposed to reflect the original release price, which was $0, so I've changed it back, but I'd appreciate someone co-signing that that's the correct reasoning, since that guideline isn't actually in the Price help text, which currently shows this:

Quote:
Price
Enter the price as a number (without commas) and select the currency from the menu.
For now, please use the the tax-included price (marked by 税込).
If the price is unknown, then check the "Price Unknown" checkbox.
Old Oct 6, 2011, 09:18 AM
VGMdb Administrator

Yeah, this is another thing we need to figure out, because for digital releases, prices can change very fluidly, and we might not always be able to know the release price.

Another thing, I'm wondering if we need to have a distinction between "free" and "name your price".
Old Oct 6, 2011, 09:47 AM

Or just adding a menu (same as reprints) next to the price field, to have an history. That could do the trick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secret Squirrel View Post
Yeah, this is another thing we need to figure out, because for digital releases, prices can change very fluidly, and we might not always be able to know the release price.

Another thing, I'm wondering if we need to have a distinction between "free" and "name your price".
Why would you need to make a distinction?
From my PoV Free is strictly the same as name your price.
Nothing ever prevented someone from remunerating someone else's work if (s)he wants to.

It's also quite common to see a "donation" menu on websites providing free downloads. How would you make the distiction between free & name your price ?