VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Jan 27, 2010, 03:36 PM

Let's clarify some things about the last tracklist changes.

So, one day I decided to investigate about the inconsistent tracklist translations of Sorcerian and after a few days of researching, I came to some interesting conclusions.

In the process, I learned quite a bit about the game in general. In my research, I have used several sources of information, but the most important one has been this:

http://homepage2.nifty.com/tkdate/Pc...scenario2.html

-Tracklist Comments-

トラベラーズ・イン (Track 07 Original Title)
Previously Titled: Traveler's Inn
Current Title: Travelers Inn

Not much of a change here, but these two examples give an indication of how Falcom would want this track be named.

神官デルヒテ (Original title of track 11)
Previously Titled: Priest Debitel
Current Title: Priest Dehytel

According to this page this track is misnamed and "神官デヒテル" would be the right title.

I've taken the Dehytel from here, which is the more accurate source from anything Sorcerian related, but is not perfect.

For curious people, I will say that the name of this evil guy in the Sierra's DOS Port of Sorcerian was Destru.

Imho, Dehytel is a more fitting name for an evil priest than Destru.

サンド・マリボー (Original title of track 12)
Previously Titled: Sand Mariber
Current Title: Sand Marivoux

Same source than the previous one. Also, it's not the first appearance in a Falcom game of this boss.

Btw, the insect was named "Sand Maribo" in the Sierra's port.

ルワンとゴールド・ドラゴン (Original title of track 18)
Previously Titled: Luwan and Gold Dragon
Current Title: Ruwan and Gold Dragon

This time, I've based on the Sierra translation, which I consider more appropriate. Also, ルワンとゴ is read as "Ruwan" and not as "Luwan".

Source: http://blackroses.textfiles.com/adventure/sorceria.txt (walkthru guide from the DOS game)

地底 (Original title of track 20)
Previously Titled: Underworld
Current Title: Depths of the Earth

I've taken the literal approach here. As well, "underworld" has a shade of meaning different from the game's scenario.

ヴァイデス (Original title of track 30)
Previously Titled: Vaides
Current Title: Vadis

There is not much to say, just see for yourself.

モス・ジャイアント (Original title of track 32)
Previously Titled: Moss Giant
Current Title: Giant Moth

In this case, the literal translation is the wrong approach. "ジャイアント" can be equally translated as "moss" or "moth", but this site doesn't leave place for speculation.

アーク・デーモン (Original title of track 39)
Previously Titled: Ark Demon
Current Title: Arch Demon

Look this.

ファイヤー・エレメント (Original title of track 52)
Previously Titled: Fire Elemental
Current Title: Fire Demon

Literal translation would be "Fire Element", but that would be a little vague. I prefer the interpretation provided by this this page, which coincides with the Sierra's one.

ダブル=デビルス (Original title of track 55)
Previously Titled: Double Devils
Current Title: Pillar Demons

More or less, it's the same than the previous one. I think it's better a non-literal translation to portray the content of the game. In this case, two demons inside of pillars
Old Oct 4, 2012, 01:28 PM
Trusted Editor

It appears this page lists the composers for Sorcerian songs? Although the question mark besides some leads me to believe it may just be assumption. (The songs Yuzo are credited to do not seem to have that, so maybe Yuzo confirmed there somewhere?)

http://homepage2.nifty.com/tkdate/music/cd/bgm1.html

Last edited by dissident93; Oct 4, 2012 at 01:46 PM.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissident93 View Post
It appears this page lists the composers for Sorcerian songs? Although the question mark besides some leads me to believe it may just be assumption. (The songs Yuzo are credited to do not seem to have that, so maybe Yuzo confirmed there somewhere?)

http://homepage2.nifty.com/tkdate/music/cd/bgm1.html
Unfortunately they are just guesses, nothing confirmed as it's explained here. Anyway, I'm quite sure that most of those guesses are pretty accurate (Opening was composed by Koshiro because he performed it on piano in a show which I can't remember right now), but for now the definitive composer breakdown of Sorcerian remains a mystery, one of the oldest mysteries of all vgm. What has always struck me as quite strange is the inclusion of Reiko Takebayashi in the music credits; I mean, Sorcerian is the only game for which she supposedly worked as music composer and her only credit for anything related to sound, at the very least is dubious.

Also, I'd like to post the liner notes transcription for reference, but I warn you beforehand:: don't contain factual information about music composition or anything related. Yeah, if only...

Quote:
■ライナーノート
石川三恵子(日本ファルコム音楽担当)
今、コンピュータ•ゲーム•ミュージックは、音楽の一ジャンルとしてひとり立ちしようとしています。
多くのゲ一ム•ミュージックが、オーケス卜ラや打ち込みによるアレンジバ一ジョンと共にレコ一ド化されてい ます。

ひとくちにゲーム•ミュージックと言っても、パソコン、フアミコン、業務用とその種類はさまざまで、今回リ リ一スされたこの2枚のレコードは、パソコンゲーム『ソ一サリアン』(PC—8801SR シリーズ/ PC9801シリーズ)のゲーム•ミュ一ジックを素材にしています。

この『ソーサリアン』は、パソコンゲーム史上不朽の名作とまで いわれた『ザナドゥ』の流れをくむロ一ルプレイング•ゲームです。

120種類の魔法とキャラクタ一の性質に「元素」という共通の要 素を持たせ、両者の関係と「時間」という概念を複雑に絡めたこの ゲームは、経験値アップに執着することを嫌った、「ゲームを楽しむ 人のためのゲーム」として注目を集めています。

そしてまた、グラフィックスとBGMの水準の高さが話題を呼び、 ことに60曲にもおよぶBGM群は、パソコン•サウンドとしての完 成度とその音楽性に多くの感心が寄せられています。

これらのBGMは、4オペレ一夕、8アルゴリズムを持つFM音 源LSI「YM—2203」3声とPSG音源3声によって演奏されて います。

音源としては最低レベルのLSIをフル活用した音色と、LF0、 EG等を駆使して作られた曲たちは、現在のパソコン•サウンドの 頂点に立つものであります。これらを原音のまま収録した『オリジ ナル•サウンド•卜ラック』は、ゲーム•フリ一クの必須アイテム として、また、パソコン•サウンドの「入門書」として、ご満足い ただけるでしょう。

そして、『アレンジ•バ一ジョン』には、難波弘之氏によってアレ ンジされた、ピックアップ13曲が収録されています。

このレコ一ドは、参加ミュージシャンの顔ぶれを見てもおわかり いただける通り、単なる楽器による差し替えを行ったものではあり ません。

素材である『ソーサリアン』の匂いを漂わせながら、ゲームから 切り離された1枚のインストゥルメンタル•アルバムとして作られ た、大変面白いレコードなのです。

同一の素材を使ったこの2枚のレコ一ドはパソコン•サウンドと アレンジ•バージョンが、「オリジナル」と「グレード•アップ」の 関係ではなく、それぞれが別個の作品として作られました。

「パソコン」と「楽器」という全く異質な表現手段を用いた2枚 のレコ一ドを対等に扱い、正面切って向かい合わせ、両者の間に生 まれる緊張感の中に『ソーサリアン』という一つの世界を描き出さ せようとする試みは、ゲーム•ミュージックの可能性をさらに拡げ る、画期的な企画と言えるでしょう。

「ゲーム•ミュ一ジックはオリジナルに限る!」と断言して止ま ない頑固なゲーマー諸君、「所詮ゲーム•ミュージック。」と思って いる音楽通の皆さん、是非御一聴あれ!
この2枚、そんな固定観念をぶち壊すことうけあいです。

末筆ながら、不眠不休でレコーディングして下さいました難波弘 之氏はじめ、スタッフの皆様、参加ミュージシャンの方々、ゲーム•ミュージック通としても名高い『ソーサリ アン』プログラマ一木 屋善夫課長、そして本企画の発案者、加藤正幸社長に心よりお礼申 し上げます。
(この解説はLPのものを流用いたしました)
Old Apr 21, 2016, 01:01 AM

there are 1 booklet front and 1 booklet back
is there a booklet interior or that "booklet" is just 1 sheet?

because I have scans, and 1 scan with tracklist seems to be the "booklet interior" (edit: seems to be http://vgmdb.net/db/covers.php?do=view&cover=70522)

Last edited by Phonograph; Apr 21, 2016 at 01:04 AM.
Old Dec 9, 2017, 04:33 PM

According to tk_nz's comments found here, he has got direct confirmation from Yuzo Koshiro and indirect confirmation from Reiko Takebayashi and Hideya Nagata about their contributions to Sorcerian score. So, by process of elimination Mieko Ishikawa's tracks (although not confirmed by her) can be singled out.

The composer breakdown in this album is as follows:

Yuzo Koshiro (01, 03~10, 14, 16~21, 25, 26, 30, 34~36, 38, 40~43, 45~51, 53~57)
Mieko Ishikawa (02, 11~13, 22, 23, 31, 33, 37, 39, 44, 52, 58)
Reiko Takebayashi (15, 24)
Hideya Nagata (32)
Takahito Abe (27~29)

One mystery less.
Old Jul 6, 2020, 12:53 PM
VGMdb Advisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by isdapi View Post
According to tk_nz's comments found here, he has got direct confirmation from Yuzo Koshiro and indirect confirmation from Reiko Takebayashi and Hideya Nagata about their contributions to Sorcerian score. So, by process of elimination Mieko Ishikawa's tracks (although not confirmed by her) can be singled out.

The composer breakdown in this album is as follows:

Yuzo Koshiro (01, 03~10, 14, 16~21, 25, 26, 30, 34~36, 38, 40~43, 45~51, 53~57)
Mieko Ishikawa (02, 11~13, 22, 23, 31, 33, 37, 39, 44, 52, 58)
Reiko Takebayashi (15, 24)
Hideya Nagata (32)
Takahito Abe (27~29)

One mystery less.
That's crazy ... Never suspected he did so much of it o_O

https://twitter.com/yuzokoshiro/stat...49015224365056

Last edited by niki; Jul 6, 2020 at 12:58 PM.