VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Sep 16, 2015, 06:30 PM

Default TGS 2015/Star Ocean 5

It's TGS time again and Japanese companies are showcasing their games. Famitsu has a video of the SO5 demo there. Notable: There is no difference in the music for exploration and battles (battles are seamless in this game), and Sakuraba is channeling his Gikyokuonsou style there. Tasty!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzG6ig9nRxA
Old Sep 17, 2015, 12:38 AM

I think he's channeling Fly Away In The Violet Sky from SO3 more than anything else! And that's no bad thing, in my book.
Old Sep 17, 2015, 01:53 PM

Can I just add how awesome 7-character battle parties are? I don't even like the SO series, but you can bet I'm buying this one.

Meanwhile, the director of FFXV (from a developer like 20 times the size of Tri-Ace) says more than one playable character is too hard.
Old Sep 18, 2015, 11:42 AM

Very disappointed that there aren't Battle themes...
Old Sep 18, 2015, 12:27 PM

Funny, that's probably the thing I'd miss least since Sakuraba basically has one battle theme he uses for every game. I love Sakuraba's music, but his battle theme(s?) are particularly stale.
Old Sep 18, 2015, 04:24 PM

I don't mind having no battle themes outside boss and special battles if the area themes are like in VP being driven and varied. Even better would be having battle themes only whenever an enemy is strong enough for the fight to take some significant time.
Old Sep 18, 2015, 06:48 PM

Today's streaming had more music... it sounds fucking awesome, is just.. oh god, I must buy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZCvPjAv2as

At the start of the streaming and every time they present a character sounds 2 themes, GOD.

Last edited by Eriksharp; Sep 19, 2015 at 02:48 AM.
Old Sep 19, 2015, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Datschge View Post
It's TGS time again and Japanese companies are showcasing their games. Famitsu has a video of the SO5 demo there. Notable: There is no difference in the music for exploration and battles (battles are seamless in this game), and Sakuraba is channeling his Gikyokuonsou style there. Tasty!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzG6ig9nRxA
Confirmed there is battle theme, so, you are wrong, thanks to god :P
Old Sep 20, 2015, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eriksharp View Post
Confirmed there is battle theme, so, you are wrong, thanks to god :P
Care to tell us more of this confirmation? The music in the videos sounds uninterrupted even with battles and victory screens going on, so where and with what were I wrong?
Old Sep 20, 2015, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Care to tell us more of this confirmation? The music in the videos sounds uninterrupted even with battles and victory screens going on, so where and with what were I wrong?
There are 2 demostrations, the TGS demostration and Square-Enix Demo which was used in Dengeki Streaming and Square-Enix Streaming, in the Press Demo there are battle theme and dungeon theme, the regular TGS demo just have the dungeon theme.

Even Kobayashi producer said that SO5 battle theme is his favourite SO Battle theme.

The battle theme is this (I think):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZCvPjAv2as

In the last Streaming (Square-Enix Streaming): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=stFawSgIx4k

Sounds like the battle theme is that theme :P
But is 100% confirmed that there is regular battle theme, thanks to god, and it sounds gorgeous.
Old Oct 2, 2015, 12:27 PM

The webpage was updated.
Field theme, Main theme, the battle theme and one boss theme(?):
http://www.jp.square-enix.com/so5/
Old Oct 5, 2015, 12:06 AM

Battle Demo 02 is spectacular.
Old Oct 5, 2015, 08:39 AM
VGMdb Advisor

...ly uninspired!

Sakuraba serving the exact same type of battle music over and over again... The field theme is nice, though. Quite refreshing, reminding me of SO3.
Old Oct 16, 2015, 04:27 AM
Trusted Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanasea View Post
...ly uninspired!

Sakuraba serving the exact same type of battle music over and over again...
Exactly my thoughts as well. I really hope Sakuraba would again do something more outside his comfort zone, like e.g. Labyrinth no Kanata.

The battle tracks were a primary reason for me to stop SO3 halfway through. It just got too annoying at some point...
Old Oct 15, 2015, 09:44 PM

Really? The first minute doesn't do it for you? (I was thinking it sounds semi-Golden Sunnish.) The first minute is really what I was writing about as after that the track loses steam. Those drum hits! mmm. What Sakuraba battle tracks are you referring to?
Old Oct 17, 2015, 09:12 AM
VGMdb Advisor

Well I thought they were still very good in Star Ocean 3... But Sakuraba has failed to impress me with battle tracks for a while now.
Old Dec 2, 2015, 12:37 PM

Music updated with the live instruments, gorgeous.
Old Dec 2, 2015, 01:17 PM

Oh, cool, some people agree with me about his battle music. When I made that comment, I immediately hoped I wasn't alone

Sakuraba is such a talented composer - I've enjoyed quite a few tunes by him and some of them even strike me as magical - so it almost angers me when he just does... this. This is not anything new. I mean, really. I know it's game music and I know all VGM composers have a style and so anything they do can sound kind of "samey", but Sakuraba really takes that word to a whole new level I think. I mean it's down to the melodies themselves sometimes, I feel like I'm actually listening to the same song as in a previous soundtrack, but it's not a motif.

Whatever. Rant over, haha. He's a talented guy and if I weren't so familiar with him I guess I'd probably gush over this stuff, but... I just feel like I've heard it all before. It's good music, don't get me wrong, but... I'm already a little tired of it... and I'm just hearing it for the first time The Main Theme is pretty decent, invokes that grandeur of Star Ocean well. Not excited about it though.

P.S. I thought that through all the renditions of that battle theme he used, the best version by far was in SO3. It's the only version I'll still listen to and I actually do enjoy it. Again, it's not that the music is bad, just... too familiar.
Old Dec 2, 2015, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFGalaxy View Post
Oh, cool, some people agree with me about his battle music. When I made that comment, I immediately hoped I wasn't alone

Sakuraba is such a talented composer - I've enjoyed quite a few tunes by him and some of them even strike me as magical - so it almost angers me when he just does... this. This is not anything new. I mean, really. I know it's game music and I know all VGM composers have a style and so anything they do can sound kind of "samey", but Sakuraba really takes that word to a whole new level I think. I mean it's down to the melodies themselves sometimes, I feel like I'm actually listening to the same song as in a previous soundtrack, but it's not a motif.

Whatever. Rant over, haha. He's a talented guy and if I weren't so familiar with him I guess I'd probably gush over this stuff, but... I just feel like I've heard it all before. It's good music, don't get me wrong, but... I'm already a little tired of it... and I'm just hearing it for the first time The Main Theme is pretty decent, invokes that grandeur of Star Ocean well. Not excited about it though.

P.S. I thought that through all the renditions of that battle theme he used, the best version by far was in SO3. It's the only version I'll still listen to and I actually do enjoy it. Again, it's not that the music is bad, just... too familiar.
I don't think so, I have listened the final version of those four themes and they have the Star Ocean-style but they have fresh things and aren't too familiar, you know those themes are from Star Ocean but I don't think it is too familiar.
Listen to the last years Soundtracks and search for a Sakuraba soundtrack which is semblant to those SO5 tracks, you will not find anything.
And is a bit rude to say that Sakuraba is "so samey" when he is a composer which in one soundtrack can do orchestra, progressive rock, metal, techno, rap, jazz fusion and more.
If I listen to the last 5 years soundtracks like End of Eternity, Phantasy Star Nova, Dark Souls, Labyrinth no Kanata, Valhalla Knights 3 and Kid Icarus I have very different soundtracks with a lot of styles and sounds.

I know you are not saying is bad, but it is unfair to say he is samey because annual Tales of and the 4 or 5 sampled sounds impossed by Bandai.

Edit: Ah, and Exist Archive sounds so so great, I'm praying for a fast Soundtrack release.

Last edited by Eriksharp; Dec 2, 2015 at 05:32 PM.
Old Dec 3, 2015, 12:28 AM

Hey, it's cool, we both have our opinions. At least you recognized somewhere in there that I don't think Sakuraba is a bad composer

Honestly though, I'm not surprised you responded that way. Your posts in here have all but worshipped Sakuraba as an actual God among men so it seems you think he can do incredibly little wrong. You do make a good point about his ability to do different styles, yet I still stand by my opinion. Personally, I feel the stuff here is stale. I listened to it once and was tired of it all before the songs ended my first time ever through them. That's just my honest reaction to them. Why? Because I hear all the same Star Ocean / Valkyrie Profile / Baten Kaitos music, which in general is stale. Also, Tales of ___ music is stale as well. Sure, the style is (slightly) different from the games I listed, but within the series all the music sounds SO MUCH the same to me.

So... yeah, not seeing how my perception of how gravely similar all of his music is and therefore calling it samey makes me rude. Sorry if I used a somewhat negative word to describe what I believe is a very talented composer's shortcoming. And I say somewhat negative because what he writes actually isn't bad music (and as I said before and you acknowledged, I know that). He could be doing a lot worse stuff over and over again - at least he's reproducing a really good sound I just think it's stale, that's all.
Old Dec 3, 2015, 03:54 AM

Well, I can't consider his stuff is stale in this SO5 because I haven't listened to this style since 2009, even Phantasy Star Nova which is tri-Ace+Sci-fi has a complete different composing and arrange style with more drum-bass focused, less melody and more ambient and action focused and with a lot of different genres.

And I can't say that Star Ocean 1 and 2 has the same musical style as Star Ocean 3 and 4, even Valkyrie Profile has a different musical style than VP2. Valkyrie Profile 2 is full of progressive hard-rock themes and symphonic themes, you fill not find in any other Sakuraba game a theme like Junk Modulation or Dance Without Malice or Mercy.

I'm not saying Sakuraba is not samey, god, on Tales of there a lot of themes wich have copied phrases or even full copied the theme from other game, but Tales of is Tales of and everyone know why this happens.
And even if I'm a Sakuraba fan I'll not defend everything he do, there are a lot of soundtracks which I don't like at all like some Tales of soundtracks, some Mario Golf/Tennis soundtracks, even Infinite Undiscovery is in my opinion the worse tri-Ace soundtrack even if it is good, is just very bland compared to other soundtracks.
I'm just saying that Sakuraba is as samey as every other composer is, but with Sakuraba you can tell sooner because he has like 100 times more soundtracks than everyone.

As for that of "Your posts in here have all but worshipped Sakuraba as an actual God among men so it seems you think he can do incredibly little wrong.".
As a progressive rock lover, yes, I think Sakuraba is a god, he creates incredible complex music with a lot of gorgeous sounds. That music requires a technique level overhuman and is something amazing. Meanwhile every composer tries to do typical orchestral themes with typical latin chorus and typical phrases, Sakuraba uses the chorus as instruments and pretty unique compositions.
But the same of this I think about Nobuo Uematsu, another progressive rock composer and arranger who is another god, is softer than Sakuraba and he often do more symphonic sounds that's why I think is below Sakuraba. But he is a god too. And Kenji Ito :P

Last edited by Eriksharp; Dec 3, 2015 at 03:59 AM.
Old Dec 3, 2015, 12:46 PM

Quote:
I'm just saying that Sakuraba is as samey as every other composer is, but with Sakuraba you can tell sooner because he has like 100 times more soundtracks than everyone.
Hmm, maybe that's what it is. Maybe Sakuraba has sooooo many soundtracks that I'm just more tired of his style. I can't really pin down why I tire of his music so much more quickly than other composers, I just know it happens. Well, him and Yasuharu Takanashi. I listened to about two Fairy Tail songs and became an instant fan of his. I love so much Fairy Tail music, I think those soundtracks are incredible. Then one day I listened to a Suite Precure soundtrack and was like... wow, I'm just listening to Fairy Tail. And I was kind of disappointed. And then I listened to Fantasista Doll, and I was really disappointed because that was literally a Fairy Tail soundtrack. The funny part of all that: those soundtracks are just as good as Fairy Tail in the same way, much like when Sakuraba produces something that I think is too similar to something else - it's similar to something really good because Sakuraba is good. So, it's not really even that bad being samey if you're producing good sound. I just... get tired of the same sound, that's all.

As for Nobuo Uematsu, I actually thought of him after posting in this thread. I used to think he was a god. Then I went through a phase where I wasn't that impressed with him at all. Now I've come back around not to the point where I think he's a god, but to the point where I'm so impressed with him stylistically because I really don't think I could pick out a song of his out of 3 if asked to do so. I have a great ear and can usually pick out a composer's music, but I'd be hard pressed to do this with Uematsu. I also enjoy his music, so that's a plus

Kenji Ito I love for SaGa Frontier and that's about it =/

I hope you get the impression that I've enjoyed our conversation because I have. I gave you a little bit of a hard time about the reverence for Sakuraba you've posted with in this thread because you called me a bit rude for calling Sakuraba samey and I don't think it is because it's not even that negative of a thing to be :< I also wouldn't say this about other composers who have recognizable styles so it's clearly something about Sakuraba specifically (okay and Takahashi), but thanks for challenging my viewpoint on Sakuraba and bringing up some good points about his music. It's been nice to re-evaluate him a little bit and maybe I'll listen to SO5 even though I don't think I'm going to like it very much, though I'm sure it will be a good soundtrack.

Last edited by RFGalaxy; Dec 3, 2015 at 12:48 PM.
Old Dec 3, 2015, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Hmm, maybe that's what it is. Maybe Sakuraba has sooooo many soundtracks that I'm just more tired of his style. I can't really pin down why I tire of his music so much more quickly than other composers, I just know it happens. Well, him and Yasuharu Takanashi. I listened to about two Fairy Tail songs and became an instant fan of his. I love so much Fairy Tail music, I think those soundtracks are incredible. Then one day I listened to a Suite Precure soundtrack and was like... wow, I'm just listening to Fairy Tail. And I was kind of disappointed. And then I listened to Fantasista Doll, and I was really disappointed because that was literally a Fairy Tail soundtrack. The funny part of all that: those soundtracks are just as good as Fairy Tail in the same way, much like when Sakuraba produces something that I think is too similar to something else - it's similar to something really good because Sakuraba is good. So, it's not really even that bad being samey if you're producing good sound. I just... get tired of the same sound, that's all.

As for Nobuo Uematsu, I actually thought of him after posting in this thread. I used to think he was a god. Then I went through a phase where I wasn't that impressed with him at all. Now I've come back around not to the point where I think he's a god, but to the point where I'm so impressed with him stylistically because I really don't think I could pick out a song of his out of 3 if asked to do so. I have a great ear and can usually pick out a composer's music, but I'd be hard pressed to do this with Uematsu. I also enjoy his music, so that's a plus

Kenji Ito I love for SaGa Frontier and that's about it =/

I hope you get the impression that I've enjoyed our conversation because I have. I gave you a little bit of a hard time about the reverence for Sakuraba you've posted with in this thread because you called me a bit rude for calling Sakuraba samey and I don't think it is because it's not even that negative of a thing to be :< I also wouldn't say this about other composers who have recognizable styles so it's clearly something about Sakuraba specifically (okay and Takahashi), but thanks for challenging my viewpoint on Sakuraba and bringing up some good points about his music. It's been nice to re-evaluate him a little bit and maybe I'll listen to SO5 even though I don't think I'm going to like it very much, though I'm sure it will be a good soundtrack.
I enjoyed too
But the "a bit rude" wasn't like I was offended or anything like that, is just an expression, like "exaggerated" or something like this
If you haven't listened to these last years non-progressive rock soundtracks composed by Sakuraba, listen to them, there are some gorgeous orchestral soundtracks like Valhalla Knights Eldar Saga or Valhalla Knights 3, and some experimental soundtracks like Labyrinth no Kanata which are awesome.

About Star Ocean 5, I hope it has a lot of variety like SO3 had, SO4 was a very plain soundtrack with just Progressive Rock and Symphonic music, even if it was a very good soundtrack I still prefer SO3's soundtrack.
At least, what we listened is more in SO3/Baten Kaitos way than SO4's which is good.
And I hope tri-Ace/Square-Enix let Sakuraba to do again a Voice Mix Album, Star Ocean 3 Voice Mix Album was very good, but Valkyrie Profile 2 Voice Mix Album was so perfect, I need another Voice Mix Album.
Old Dec 3, 2015, 02:15 PM

Hey mind if i chime in on this thread. What do you think of Hamauzu and Sakimoto I think there also amazing in their own way i actually prefer SF2's music over SF1. Also you can mention Shimomura as well and who do you think would be a very underrated composer from Square Enix.
Old Dec 3, 2015, 03:11 PM

Bashing Sakuraba is more popular than praising him, has been that way since the fatigue that apparently set in somewhere after Baten Kaitos 1. I personally think there is enough diversity to be had to actually pick the pieces one likes (and considering the sheer amount of work old and new I'd think it should be helpful and interesting to many). But everywhere Sakuraba is discussed beyond a simple name drop the train always takes the predictable "all the same anyway" turn before it even gets to that point.

Ah well, I'll just keep enjoying his stuff privately while keeping the website up to date, maybe that's finds some new fans that just aren't vocal enough for me to notice.
Old Dec 3, 2015, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Bashing Sakuraba is more popular than praising him, has been that way since the fatigue that apparently set in somewhere after Baten Kaitos 1. I personally think there is enough diversity to be had to actually pick the pieces one likes (and considering the sheer amount of work old and new I'd think it should be helpful and interesting to many). But everywhere Sakuraba is discussed beyond a simple name drop the train always takes the predictable "all the same anyway" turn before it even gets to that point.

Ah well, I'll just keep enjoying his stuff privately while keeping the website up to date, maybe that's finds some new fans that just aren't vocal enough for me to notice.
At least Japanese people and companies are Sakuraba's fan and they like a lot his music and thanks to that every year we have a lot of Sakuraba's new music. That's the important point, the companies will hire him forever

But, I think in west there are a lot of Sakuraba's fan, but the haters are always more visible :P
Old Dec 4, 2015, 01:56 PM
VGMdb Advisor

Quote:
But, I think in west there are a lot of Sakuraba's fan, but the haters are always more visible :P
I find it pretty reductive that you speak about "haters". Talking about my own experience, I discovered Sakuraba's music around 2002, 2003, at the time Star Ocean 3 was about to come out. So I started listening to his past works, for example Shining Force III. I didn't like it so much at first, but as I discovered other works like Beyond the Beyond (still one of my favorite CDs by Sakuraba), I came to like his music more and more. By the time the Star Ocean 3 soundtrack came out, I was ready to fully appreciate it—and boy, was it awesome! I had become a big Sakuraba fan.

But starting with Baten Kaitos 2 a few years later, I started feeling Sakuraba was moving away from his progressive roots and using more and more brass in his orchestra music, which became quite... bulky. I enjoyed the Valkyrie Profile 2 because it had a number of nice and peaceful acoustic tracks, and thought he would be using that style more and more, but he didn't. Then came more and more Tales of soundtracks (I never enjoyed them), and Infinite Undiscovery, and... Star Ocean 4. The SO4 soundtrack was a nightmare to me. I thought the music was just a formless piece of orchestral mud. I hate it.

I did enjoy a few of his recent works, lighter soundtracks like Beyond the Labyrinth, his solo albums (Forest of glass is excellent), but the rest just sounds like the same to me, and not only the brassy orchestral stuff; even his recent progressive rock music sounds uninspired to me. It's nothing like his amazing albums from the 1990s.

So I'm not a hater. I'm just disillusioned. But I'm curious about Star Ocean 5, so I'll be sure to give it a listen.
Old Dec 4, 2015, 02:37 AM

Quote:
Bashing Sakuraba is more popular than praising him
Hate to revisit something I complained about earlier but this strikes me as a bit rude :< Saying this seems like an attempt to discredit those with that opinion of him, as if they're just saying it to jump on some sort of bandwagon. I know I'm only giving my honest opinion of what I hear from him, as I'm sure others are when they voice such a viewpoint as well. Also, doesn't that kind of say something about his music? I mean, you don't see nearly as many people saying that about Sakimoto, Mitsuda, and other "big-name" composers who write a lot of soundtracks and whose styles don't vary all that much. If you see so many people say it so specifically about Sakuraba...

To me, it has always seemed like there is a completely polarized 50/50 for Sakuraba, and it struck me as funny that Eriksharp and I basically represent each side of that group. I have seen people talk about Sakuraba like he is the holy savior of VGM and I have seen people talk about him like if you've heard one soundtrack you've heard them all. Sakuraba has always been a bit of a mystery to me in that way - every composer has his divide of fans, but the strength of the divide seems stronger with Sakuraba than with any other composer.
Old Dec 5, 2015, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Hate to revisit something I complained about earlier but this strikes me as a bit rude :<
It's the truth (the constant predictably nay-saying based on some limited soundtrack selections also strike me as a bit rude). I mean, if you know of discussions that focus on the positives I'd be very happy to see the links.