VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Search

Old Dec 15, 2009, 11:00 PM

Same question that I posed for First Chapter...

Why is the composer for this listed by artist names and not "Falcom Sound Team jdk?" It should be Falcom Sound Team jdk, since that's what it says in the booklet and it's misleading if the LOH VI soundtracks don't appear under a search for Falcom Sound Team jdk.

And for that matter, where is the proof that those listed members worked on this album?

- Justin Pfeiffer
Old Dec 15, 2009, 11:35 PM

I realize now that the names listed were likely taken and known from the ending credits of the game. Still, "Falcom Sound Team jdk" should be included somewhere in the composer credits, since that is the official title of the composer team and who is credited in the soundtrack. Those names are just the breakdown.

- Justin Pfeiffer
Old Jun 26, 2014, 03:04 PM

Was looking at the English tracklists for "itunes" and "amazon", both translated by falcom and the amazon translation is pretty close to the fan translation with one or two minor variations. Weird that they would've picked a new translation, but with names like "The thunder bored Grave Marker", I can understand why.

http://www.amazon.com/Legend-Heroes-...dp/B00COO0FC8/
compared to
https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/yi...no/id504512217
Old Oct 25, 2014, 04:59 AM
VGMdb Advisor

The game has some official readings and English spellings:
執行者 > Legion
ル=ロックル > Le-Locle
福音 > Gospel
グロリアス > Glorious
リベルアーク > Liber-Ark
アクシスピラー > Axis Piller [in glorious Engrish]

So I tweaked a bit the current tracklist.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 04:04 PM

This is mostly a question for 《J》, or really whoever knows:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 《J》
(And we also know Murayama composed "Fight with Assailant" and "The Enforcers" from TitS SC, thanks to Takeshita on Twitter.)
So does that mean Murayama officially worked on SC? If so, just these two tracks, or might there be more?
Old Apr 25, 2017, 05:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jormungand View Post
So does that mean Murayama officially worked on SC?
I believe so. Trails in the Sky's development started as far as 2001 (at most) and FC & SC were originally meant to be one game, but it proved to be so massive that Falcom had to split the game into two releases to do the whole thing justice. SC got released almost two years after FC, so that's plenty of time for people like Muyarama or Ishibashi to contribute music to the sountrack for SC. On a similar note, Ishibashi explicitly cited SC in his profile:

One of Ishibashi's friends, Gin Sato, confirmed that he wrote "Aiming for the Future" from SC. I suspect he might have composed "Obstructive Existence", "Heartless Surprise Attack" and "Axis Pillar" from SC too. As we all know, it's a common (and horrible) thing in this industry -- for people to have credit removed from games they worked on if they left before it was completed. And sadly, Falcom is no different -- Ishibashi and Murayama's removal from FC & Gurumin's PSP credits (which, strangely enough, got backported into the western PC versions...), Hashimoto not being credited in Ys VIII... More annoying is when they use material by former Sound Team jdk members after they leave without crediting them... (e.g. Takeshita's music in Zwei II, Ys Seven, Nayuta no Kiseki and Tokyo Xanadu)

Quote:
If so, just these two tracks, or might there be more?
This is what we've found so far, at least for SC. I still don't have a damn clue about who did "The Merciless Savior"... Anyway, here's the playlists (screencaps by kotorain) we made for Takeshita and his answers:

Then again, he said "maybe I'm wrong!" and "I don't remember well", so there might be some inconsistencies (e.g. "The Final Choice" by Sonoda, even though Sonoda's tracks from the 3rd (such as "Genuine Devil", "The Black Ark" or "The Abyss") don't have that much echo and despite believing that "Water Prison" was composed by Unisuga, which to me sounds quite similar to that track). The Murayama ones look legit to me, however, mainly because this style of electronic rock completely disappeared after he left. I also believe Murayama arranged a lot of tracks from Felghana's Pre Arrange Version, such as "Be Careful", "A Searing Struggle" or "Valestein Castle".

Last edited by 《J》; Apr 29, 2017 at 03:18 AM.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 06:02 PM

Very nice. The Enforcers, Fateful Confrontation, and The Merciless Savior may all by different people, even though they all use the same theme. I suppose this is common within Falcom.

OK, lots to sort through. I knew about the development window, so now it of course makes sense that Ishibashi and Murayama both did music that ended up in SC (aside from the repeats).

Aiming For the Future is one of my favorites, so it's nice to have that credit confirmed. Overall I find SC less interesting than FC, but that's a great one.
Old May 27, 2018, 10:20 AM

J, could you clarify something about those screen caps? Did Takeshita confirm that all the tracks without comments/notes are his?
Old May 27, 2018, 11:43 AM

Quote:
J, could you clarify something about those screen caps? Did Takeshita confirm that all the tracks without comments/notes are his?
Everything on those pics without a red note, yeah. Takeshita is (for the most part) really easy to identify, his style was well represented on the games he worked on.

Additionally, one friend asked Takeshita again about The Final Choice from the 3rd, and he now says it sounds like Unisuga. I'm inclined to agree with him now, this track has that pre-loop interlude chord resolution that Unisuga likes to spam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadBallP
This one is not me, not sure but sounds like Unisuga san?
He also confirmed that Visions is Unisuga's. The other three were done by him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadBallP
Visions, from SC is Unisuga san's compose,rest three is mine! Actually I didn't know mine was used in AO, haha
If you (or anyone) is interested on all our educated guesswork, we put this spreadsheet together.

Last edited by 《J》; Jun 1, 2018 at 01:40 PM.
Old May 28, 2018, 04:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 《J》 View Post
Everything on those pics without a red note, yeah. Takeshita is (for the most part) really easy to identify, his style was well represented on the games he worked on.
Awesome! I'm really loving his tracks in particular.

Quote:
If you (or anyone) is interested on all our educated guesswork, we put this spreadsheet together.
Yes, very interested! Thank you! It's exactly the kind of thing I was looking for. I have been working on my own breakdowns for FC and SC (and eventually 3rd), and this will help a lot. A lot of your guesses line up with mine. One note about my spreadsheet--you might be interested in column N where I tried to compile a list of the main themes from the trilogy (haven't gotten to 3rd yet). Some of these themes carry on in later Trails games. I had planned to eventually display these in notation form along with audio samples.

I'm glad you also felt those very heavy orchestral tracks from SC are Jindo's work. They're kind of out of place, style wise, compared to the others. Sad to see so little Murayama representation on SC--I wonder if he has uncredited composition work from other games during his time at Falcom?

Anyway, that spreadsheet and these confirmations are really useful. I can safely declare the Murayama, Ishibashi, and Takeshita are my favorites from this Falcom era and the Sora trilogy. I've already exhausted hunting down Murayama's other confirmed Falcom soundtracks, but now I can use this document for the other two.

But I sure know how to pick them. Two of those three did relatively little with Falcom, and all three left (and one is no longer with us). It's a real shame, these three are/were incredibly talented.

Last edited by Jormungand; May 28, 2018 at 04:35 AM.
Old Jun 1, 2018, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Awesome! I'm really loving his tracks in particular.

Yes, very interested! Thank you! It's exactly the kind of thing I was looking for. I have been working on my own breakdowns for FC and SC (and eventually 3rd), and this will help a lot. A lot of your guesses line up with mine. One note about my spreadsheet--you might be interested in column N where I tried to compile a list of the main themes from the trilogy (haven't gotten to 3rd yet). Some of these themes carry on in later Trails games. I had planned to eventually display these in notation form along with audio samples.

I'm glad you also felt those very heavy orchestral tracks from SC are Jindo's work. They're kind of out of place, style wise, compared to the others. Sad to see so little Murayama representation on SC--I wonder if he has uncredited composition work from other games during his time at Falcom?

Anyway, that spreadsheet and these confirmations are really useful. I can safely declare the Murayama, Ishibashi, and Takeshita are my favorites from this Falcom era and the Sora trilogy. I've already exhausted hunting down Murayama's other confirmed Falcom soundtracks, but now I can use this document for the other two.

But I sure know how to pick them. Two of those three did relatively little with Falcom, and all three left (and one is no longer with us). It's a real shame, these three are/were incredibly talented.
Now that the link has been given out publicly, I'll actually be going through our spreadsheet over the next few days and polishing up the formatting, as well as adding in some guesses of mine that I hadn't gotten around to yet.

It's interesting that you were tracking the usage of motifs in FC/SC - I had just been thinking about making a sheet of my own to do that, although not limited to just those but also other Falcom soundtracks.

Anyway, if you want, I'm sure you could get editing permissions to have your own columns in our sheet. We'd be glad to have you join us!

Last edited by preta; Jun 1, 2018 at 01:59 PM.