VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Search

Old Jul 30, 2022, 11:06 PM
Trusted Editor

Just got me this box and the included soundtracks really feel kind of random. Guess it's typical for the Scitron discs of that time.

For instance I didn't know there was a 'Mad Gear' game by CAPCOM which probably later became the name giver for the Mad Gear Gang in Final Fight. Then again I wonder why this should be on a 'Legend' label when I've never heard of it
Old Jul 31, 2022, 01:37 AM

The point of these boxes isn't to represent the most popular games from each developer. They're selections of classics as well as rarities and exclusives--everything on the Capcom disc including Mad Gear is a first on CD. The Williams Pinball disc is also hugely significant because retro pinball machine soundtrack album releases are basically non-existent; I wouldn't be surprised if this is the only one in the entire database. And the reprises (from what I have to compare) are all completely re-recorded to sound cleaner and closer to the original arcade sound, even the ones Scitron did themselves in the past and could have easily reused here. They didn't have to do that but they really went the extra mile on these, possibly because they were going out of business and wanted to leave something really special behind. It could be that some of these were intended to be on separate releases before things started going south and they decided to consolidate them all in their final fiscal year.

Last edited by Aifread; Jul 31, 2022 at 02:34 AM.
Old Jul 31, 2022, 03:41 AM
Trusted Editor

No, don't get me wrong. I like what's in there for being officially released on disc after all. As you said that Williams Pinball disc was the most interesting one in there but I'm also positively surprised by some other soundtracks (Mad Gear is actually pretty good).

So I might just have a wrong comprehension of the 'Legend' series.

By the way, there's some more pinball from Data East on Game Sound Deco and Rap รก de Lic (arranged). But yeah, pretty scarce releases. Even Pachinko is way more represented in the database

EDIT: And there's more Pinball on DECO History

Last edited by suicider; Aug 15, 2022 at 04:19 AM.