VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Jan 13, 2010, 10:40 AM

the translation for 2-30 sounds a bit awkward ("amber of scenery" = "amber scenery" how)

I can say at least for '原': maybe "primitive" might be better? there's another meaning for it but I'm not sure if that can even be used

but I'm not very good with this so
Old Jan 13, 2010, 03:33 PM
VGMdb Administrator

I think Amber Scenery sounds good.

What track is arranged, and who was the arranger?
Old Jan 13, 2010, 09:13 PM

The last track is an arrangement of Amber Scenery, arranged by Yamane herself I think.
Old Jan 14, 2010, 05:39 AM

I think we should change "Menuette" to Minuet/Menuet, for the same reason why we don't want "originaru saundotorakku" in the database...
Old Jan 14, 2010, 05:41 AM
VGMdb Administrator

By the way, a recent edit removed Minuet of Dawn & Cross of the Blue Moon from the titles. These are just fan translations of the original game titles, and aren't the English localized titles. I left the romanized titles as the display title, but it would also be fine to use the English game name.

Edit -- I'll correct the title in a bit. I'm going to try to fix the thread-title bug.
Old Jan 14, 2010, 05:47 AM

who edited also removed the kanji translation: gyogetsu no enbukyoku, but I suppose it's ok since we follow furigana when possible.
Old Jan 14, 2010, 05:55 AM
VGMdb Administrator

Yeah, I think that, when romanizing, you're supposed to use the furigana as the reading when there is a set available.
Old Jan 14, 2010, 06:27 AM

Fine, I just submitted a similar change for kmca-162 (Concerto for Kyosoukyoku)
Old Jan 14, 2010, 09:50 AM

I think you can even pronounce the furigana if you want

the reason why I changed the album title like so is because that was what was on the obi (no not the obi, it's that little side bit on some package material), and I thought it was a bit more appropriate. odd, but it's actually good for this case.

speaking of which, can I go ahead and change the album title back? isn't that how we usually do these things?

Last edited by lgb; Jan 15, 2010 at 04:52 AM.
Old Jan 14, 2010, 10:34 AM
VGMdb Administrator

You want to make these changes? :

Akatsuki no Minuet --> Akatsuki no Menuette
Sougetsu no Juujika --> Sogetsu no jujika
Old Jan 14, 2010, 10:50 AM
VGMdb Administrator

I removed the romaji title, since it's the same as the display title.

(Also I wanted to test the discussion thread title synchronization)
Old Jan 14, 2010, 12:32 PM

Well, if there is no reason why we aren't allowed to use a translated subtitle for these two particular Castlevania games, shouldn't we edit pretty much every Castlevania entry in this database? (and there are many other IPs that have entries with translated subtitles, but I guess Castlevania is rather a special case since each game is often called by it subtitle...)

That also might be what lgb means, as he replaced the literal translations by the romanized title, but I could be wrong.

Edit: Yeah, I was wrong. He referred to this scan saying Akatsuki no Menuette and Sogetsu no jujika.

Last edited by Cedille; Jan 14, 2010 at 12:38 PM.
Old Jan 14, 2010, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedille View Post
Well, if there is no reason why we aren't allowed to use a translated subtitle for these two particular Castlevania games, shouldn't we edit pretty much every Castlevania entry in this database?
Akumajo Dracula Apocalypse Original Game Soundtrack -> "Mokushiroku"
Akumajo Dracula The Stolen Seal Original Soundtrack -> "Ubawareta Kokuin"

these are pretty much the only ones which need a change, the others either have a correct japanese title or an english title derived from the obi.
Old Jan 14, 2010, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gambler View Post
these are pretty much the only ones which need a change, the others either have a correct japanese title or an english title derived from the obi.
Nocturne in the Moonlight seems to be also a fan translation (and based on the obi, we don't need to use Yasoukyoku). It's admittedly fewer than I thought, though,
Old Jan 14, 2010, 08:16 PM

Last edited by Prime Blue; Mar 31, 2012 at 09:14 AM.
Old Jan 14, 2010, 08:29 PM

Oh, okay, so it's only two!
Old Jan 14, 2010, 10:12 PM

theres' a third one, KMJ-00050

"Overture of Revenge" -> Fukusyuu no Jyokyoku (according to this source: http://www.vgmuseum.com/mrp/cv-cod/cod-comic2.htm)

Last edited by The Gambler; Jan 14, 2010 at 10:35 PM.
Old Jan 15, 2010, 04:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secret Squirrel View Post
You want to make these changes? :

Akatsuki no Minuet --> Akatsuki no Menuette
Sougetsu no Juujika --> Sogetsu no jujika
correct, which would also tell me to do this:

The Stolen Seal -> "Akumajo Dracula Ubawareta kokuin"
Apocalypse -> "Akumajo Dracula Mokushiroku" (well, all caps if you're into that sort of thing)

...because I find these better and maybe even more official than "Cross of the Blue Moon" or even an alternate romanization for that matter
Old Feb 6, 2010, 07:35 AM
VGMdb Advisor

Can anyone tell me which one of those discs is Dawn of Sorrow and which one is Aria of Sorrow? I can't read Japanese so I couldn't figure it out. Thanks.
Old Feb 6, 2010, 10:18 AM
VGMdb Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nisto View Post
Can anyone tell me which one of those discs is Dawn of Sorrow and which one is Aria of Sorrow? I can't read Japanese so I couldn't figure it out. Thanks.
The first disc is Aria, the second is Dawn.
Old Feb 27, 2010, 09:24 PM
VGMdb Advisor
VGM Artist

I changed the titles. I've never heard anybody refer to this by the Romaji title and it looks like a damn train wreck, so I just replaced it with the English game titles and moved the Romaji title to its own line.

I also readded "Castlevania Minuet of Dawn & Akumajo Dracula Cross of the Blue Moon" to line four since that's another name I've heard this album referred to as (e.g. #gamemp3s). As far as I can tell, it should be a literal translation of the album title (except for the "Akumajo Dracula" part which is a de-facto series name). Assuming this is true, there's reason for it to stay. Otherwise, we can talk about dropping it again.

Last edited by Kaleb.G; Feb 27, 2010 at 09:50 PM.
Old Feb 27, 2010, 09:29 PM
VGMdb Advisor
VGM Artist

Oh yeah, and also, why is the Aria of Sorrow sound quality so bad? If you compare this version of Ruined Castle Corridor to the version on KMUS-0001, that version sounds a hell of a lot better. Like they recorded this version by putting a microphone up to a GBA speaker or something.
Old Feb 28, 2010, 12:46 AM

I think we had this debated in other castlevania albums, and the general consensus was that the best way is to use the english title given on the side of the case (you can see it on the "back" image). This is the soundtrack for the Japanese games and there's very little to allow us to use the western adaptation of the names. Not to be anal but, changing one this way would mean apply the same criteria to all the others. You are applying two different criteria for this and CotM/HoD. If we follow the English title on the side of the case, as in cotm/hod, this should stay Akumajo Dracula Akatsuki etc etc.

I also think that romanization is better than attempt to (debatable) translation. Examples: Ubawarata Kokuin > Stolen Seal; Mokushiroku > Apocalypse etc etc.

The AoS disc suffers from very poor recording quality - you can find mp3s recorded by fans at castlevania dungeon and the quality is much better. Let's hope they record it from scratch for the upcoming Special Box.

Last edited by The Gambler; Feb 28, 2010 at 12:56 AM.
Old Feb 28, 2010, 05:53 AM
VGMdb Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaleb.G View Post
I also readded "Castlevania Minuet of Dawn & Akumajo Dracula Cross of the Blue Moon" to line four since that's another name I've heard this album referred to as (e.g. #gamemp3s). As far as I can tell, it should be a literal translation of the album title (except for the "Akumajo Dracula" part which is a de-facto series name). Assuming this is true, there's reason for it to stay. Otherwise, we can talk about dropping it again.
I re-removed it. We've been trying to eradicate these legacy literal game name translations. If there had been no English language release, then the title would be the Romanization, because that's the actual name of the game. We consider the game title to be more like a Proper name, which shouldn't be literally translated.
Old Feb 28, 2010, 07:11 AM

This is the only exception going this way... You'll have to change all the albums accordingly and it doesn't seem a very good idea. "Akumajo Dracula" (1986, NES) has been brought to the west as Castlevania. Does this mean that "Akumajo Dracula Best" (kica7901) becomes "Castlevania Best"? I think that soundtracks should stay as separate as possible from the game adaptation.

Which is incidentally also what seemed to be the guideline when not accepting the in-game sound test titles as the absolute verb / official translation / primary track titles for the albums...
Old Feb 28, 2010, 07:27 AM
VGMdb Administrator

You may want to bring this up in this discussion, where this is being discussed in broad terms. I think that Seanne and Kaleb are basically echoing what you said here, in terms of using the English album title if it can be found on the Obi (and noting that the Obi title is often incomplete due to space.)

I think we still have plenty of contradictions in how we approach the title, but hopefully we can converge on something.
Old Feb 28, 2010, 05:51 PM
VGMdb Advisor
VGM Artist

Quote:
If there had been no English language release, then the title would be the Romanization, because that's the actual name of the game. We consider the game title to be more like a Proper name, which shouldn't be literally translated.
I thought line 4+ was allowed to have titles like these though? I agree it shouldn't be anywhere on the first three lines, of course.
Old Feb 28, 2010, 07:52 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Well, the format allows them. The question is whether to include a literal translation (Cross of the Blue Moon) of the Japanese game simply because an album-ripping group chose to release it like that.
Old Mar 1, 2010, 01:33 AM
VGMdb Advisor
VGM Artist

Quote:
Well, the format allows them. The question is whether to include a literal translation (Cross of the Blue Moon) of the Japanese game simply because an album-ripping group chose to release it like that.
OK, you got me there. I'll discuss this further in the Album Titles thread.
Old Aug 24, 2010, 07:46 AM

Track 2-15 should be credited to Yuka Watanabe as confirmed by Yamane's liner note comment.

(btw, we could change the roles of Kimura and Yamane in some tracks to arrangers, since it's obvious both artists weren't the composers of those classic songs. We should normally follow how they're printed, but in this case, they're not necessary credited as the composers and the current composer (?) breakdown isn't official. Then again, maybe we should just wait until individual tracks start getting credited as well as we finally have some ways to denote what's officially printed and what's not).