VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old May 27, 2013, 01:34 AM

ladies and gentlemen: why i swear by original titles, and a rare example of when the exact printed title is pretty much necessary

i hate this business
Old May 27, 2013, 01:47 AM

trax should be kept, it's used for scitron label releases
don't change it
Old May 27, 2013, 10:13 AM

Am I missing the part where ASURA ZANMADEN is written in English caps like that? And am I missing the part where ARRANGE SOUND TRACKS (or TRAX) is written in English caps like that? Because if I'm not missing it, because it's not anywhere on the soundtrack... why are we doing it?
Old May 27, 2013, 10:35 AM

no, you are missing nothing
it's not written like it anywhere, I guess he used the capped title from samurai spirits albums
but if it's the case, I don't get why he used tracks instead of trax (mainly used and capped on albums where it's written in english)
Old May 27, 2013, 10:58 AM

Well, per this discussion, we don't caps things when it's not written in caps somewhere. We don't caps things when we translate. And the reason to use the word "tracks" and not "trax" is the same: because it wasn't written that way. We're just translating トラックス, which is not trax. I don't care if it's written that way on other CDs or if it's some stupid mystical loan word or whatever the fuck else, it translates to tracks and so we're putting tracks. Otherwise I'm gonna go to every soundtrack with トラックス on it and argue that I can translate it as "trax" because x CD did it also.

I know, it's kind of stupid because it kills the consistency, but whatever.

Last edited by Hellacia; May 27, 2013 at 11:04 AM.
Old May 27, 2013, 11:16 AM

so it's kind of stupid, why doing it?
I don't say to use trax for every album, just for similar albums (like those scitron label ones)

if they meant samurai spirits arrange trax, so why they wouldn't mean samurai spirits 2 arrange trax
better not killing consistency
Old May 27, 2013, 12:05 PM

For the first time in my life, I agree with you. I also don't pick what we do at VGMdb because it's not my site. You're asking the wrong person why we do this or that one way or another. I'm just doing it the way I've more or less been told to do it. Sorry buddy.
Old May 27, 2014, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellacia View Post
And am I missing the part where ARRANGE SOUND TRACKS (or TRAX) is written in English caps like that? Because if I'm not missing it, because it's not anywhere on the soundtrack... why are we doing it?
Check the obi. SNK prefers to use TRAX over TRACKS on every SNK album I've obtained as an original, and that's a lot.
Old May 27, 2014, 08:14 AM

Yeah, SNK does it on pretty much all their arranges. On a few (Garou Densetsu 1, Garou Special, Art of Fighting 2), they used "Image Album", then afterwards it was Arrange Sound Trax.
Old May 27, 2014, 10:08 AM

Wasn't this part of Scitron's Arrange Sound Trax series?

All the other albums on this series share the same title (World Heroes Perfect Arrange Sound Trax, D-Xhird -Arrange Sound Trax-, Garou Densetsu WILD AMBITION Arrange Sound Trax, The King of Fighters '99 Arrange Sound Trax, Street Fighter EX -Arrange Sound Trax-, etc).

Last edited by KAI; May 27, 2014 at 10:34 AM.
Old May 27, 2014, 10:22 AM
Trusted Editor

Yes it is. Number 22 to be exact (see prove of purchase on the obi).

I'm not in favor of using those 'series titles' on the title itself since technically we'd have to do it with the 'Original Sound Trax' too, which would be a pain. On the other hand it's a good way to distinguish them without having to check every album. Dilemma
Old May 27, 2014, 10:44 AM
VGMdb Advisor

The Original Sound Trax moniker in the obi is just Scitron's, not limited to SNK (ex-Lufia 2).
The album themselves are typically just the title of the game, no actual "original sound trax/track" in the package
(see: here is one with Trax in the obi and Soundtrack in the package).

Arrange Sound Trax too, but they do write "Trax" in the package. This album has just katakana though, but since it can mean both Tracks or Trax... it's Trax again. Victoly!