VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Miscellaneous Discussion > Artist Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Search

Old Mar 26, 2018, 02:24 PM
VGMdb Advisor

Thanks to EskimoWolf's scans, I've added all the remaining performers of the Symphonic Suite Dragon Quest albums from TMSO, but there are two persons that I couldn't confirm the romanized names.

杉原捷子 (cello player)

Performed in five albums (DQV, II, III, IV and VI). Currently she is a member of the Ensemble Kaede (アンサンブル楓). I've sent a e-mail message in English for [email protected] printed in this banner, but got no response. Also, she is pictured in this website and the filename of the photo says "sugiharaK15.jpg". I've found a cello player named "Katsuko Sugihara" in discogs, but nothing conclusive.

上杉隆治 (contrabass player)

Performed in only one album (DQV). According to this profile, he passed away on 12 May, 2004 (just one month after the album recording). The filename of the photo in this website says "uesugi.jpg". Also, I've found the news item about his passing in the TMSO website, but there is no clue about his first name.

Quote:
2004.5.20 UP

都響の創設期から、長年にわたってコントラバス奏者としてご活躍されました上杉隆治さんが、平成16年5月 12日8時50分、肺がんのため逝去されました。
上杉さんは、昭和45年4月1日に都響に入団され、34年間の在籍中、数多くの演奏会に出演し、都響を支え てこられました。
ここに謹んで、哀悼の意を表しお知らせいたします。

Last edited by Revoc; Mar 26, 2018 at 06:02 PM.
Old Mar 29, 2018, 04:16 AM
VGMdb Staff

杉原捷子 = Katsuko Sugihara

Mother of singer-songwriter SUGIZO (Yasuhiro Sugihara). She performed on at least one of his songs:

上杉隆治

Nobuaki Nakata mentions in his profile that he studied under this person. He has an English contact form if you want to try messaging him: http://www.nobuakinakata.com/en/contact.html
Old Mar 29, 2018, 10:07 AM
VGMdb Advisor

Amazing findings! Thanks a lot, nextday!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nextday View Post
杉原捷子 = Katsuko Sugihara

Mother of singer-songwriter SUGIZO (Yasuhiro Sugihara). She performed on at least one of his songs:

Now makes all sense.

Quote:
上杉隆治

Nobuaki Nakata mentions in his profile that he studied under this person. He has an English contact form if you want to try messaging him: http://www.nobuakinakata.com/en/contact.html
It wasn't even necessary send a message to him. I just found this Nobuo Kurata's profile:

Quote:
He has studied under Ryuji Uesugi, Jun-ichi Hirokami, Yuji Yuasa, Michael Ditorich, Isarc Karabtchevsky so far.
Old Mar 29, 2018, 11:01 AM
VGMdb Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revoc View Post
It wasn't even necessary send a message to him. I just found this Nobuo Kurata's profile:
I found that page too but if you look closely you'll notice that it's machine translated. The last two names are both misspelled.

Last edited by cal; Mar 29, 2018 at 11:04 AM.
Old Mar 29, 2018, 11:07 AM
VGMdb Advisor

I hadn't noticed... I'll send a message then.
Old Mar 29, 2018, 04:42 PM
VGMdb Advisor

I tried to send an e-mail, but I only got a error message. However, I found his Twitter and he kindly answered me:

Quote:
上杉隆治(Takaharu UESUGi) was a doublebass player in TMSO and also a professor of orchestral conducting. I guess this recording could be his last one. Because he passed away in 2004. He is also one of a descendant of a historic dynasty of hero, Uesugi clan.