VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Search

Old Jun 1, 2011, 09:58 AM
VGMdb Advisor

I believe despite the name, this contains all the new (unreleased) music used in Shao. The rest was reused from Maken X.
The only one I don't recognize is track 15, but that's probably Kunlun renamed. I think 14 was the only new track in Shao.

Nice change after so many Index Holdings crap albums (complete global saturation).

The music is basically remixes from Maken X, in a style closer to Digital Devil Saga, it's great.
I've dropped Ogata from the composers, since none of his tracks are part of this. Though the iTunes page credits Atlus Sound Team as usual, we could use that too.

EDIT: there is actually one track that didn't make it, though I'm not sure if it comes from Maken X or Shao. It was in the files but I don't know were it plays, maybe in bonus modes/menus.

Last edited by Dag; Jun 4, 2011 at 10:31 AM.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dag View Post
EDIT: there is actually one track that didn't make it, though I'm not sure if it comes from Maken X or Shao. It was in the files but I don't know were it plays, maybe in bonus modes/menus.
Do you still by chance recall what song didn't make it? If you still know the filename or can simply link a video of the music I could go take a look and try to find out where it was used, assuming it's wasn't just an unused track or something.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 10:01 AM
VGMdb Advisor

Can't find a youtube link so here is an mp3: https://www.sendspace.com/file/hk9qmk

I never finished Shao but I hear it had bonus modes, maybe used there. It doesn't mesh too well with other tracks so could be was just unused.
Old Jan 13, 2018, 05:44 PM

Since there was no US release for Shao I took a look at an emulation of the European version. I can confirm that it is not used in the options menu as said menu features no music. I don't recall this song playing anywhere in the original Dreamcast version of the game so my best guess is that's it's either used in the Museum or Trial modes, or alternatively it might just be an unused track like you mentioned. Unfortunately, I couldn't find any save data of the game online so I'll have to play through it all myself in order to unlock the two aforementioned modes. I'll let you know if I come across it or not once I finish.
Old Jan 14, 2018, 11:12 PM

I'm still playing through the game, but I came across the song on youtube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PsFqPmXfmgI) and saw that the title was the same as track 15. Thus, I checked the Itunes page and was able to confirm that said song is indeed on the mini soundtrack. I also came across a video of Trial Mode as well, but I didn't hear the song used anywhere in it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KmW6oSDNrmE

However, I did notice an oddity about the soundtrack though, track 14 ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNUwNDTN8Xw) is listed as "中ボス ~爻 ver~" (Mid-Boss ~Shao ver~,) but I'm pretty sure that this music (barring a round in Trial Mode) only plays when fighting a member of the Fukenshi (aka Blademasters in the US version of Maken X) in the Shao version of the game as shown here. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_684mrWuGQ&t=5m14s

In addition the actual Mid-Boss theme in Shao is just the boss theme from Maken X (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMmU4THIVc8) as neither the Fukenshi or Hakke members had unique themes like they do in Shao. This is even more confusing since track 15 is titled "封剣士" which I'm fairly certain is referring to the Fukenshi despite it not being their boss theme. I tried looking into it, but didn't really get any results, I think there might be someone mentioning something about it at the bottom of this blog, but I could be mistaken. http://faon.blog79.fc2.com/blog-entry-272.html

Lastly, unless the "Mid-Boss" theme contains both the Fukenshi and Hakke themes in it then I think that the Hakke boss theme may be the only Shao exclusive track (that I'm currently aware of) that isn't featured on the mini soundtrack, which would be a damn shame since it's one of my favorite tracks in the game. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6I2YzXlZmc

I'd like to purchase it and find out for certain, but unfortunately I've yet to figure out a way to create an iTunes Japan account without a Japanese credit card. I've heard that there are ways to get around that if you're doing it on an Ipad, but I don't know if that's actually true or not.

Last edited by BlazingAbyss; Jan 14, 2018 at 11:28 PM.
Old Jan 20, 2018, 04:05 AM

Quote:
I never finished Shao but I hear it had bonus modes, maybe used there. It doesn't mesh too well with other tracks so could be was just unused.
Okay, so I've currently acquired 3 of the 7 endings, I did the Fukenshi (Law) route and answered all of Kei's questions right which gives a bonus FMV at the end, however as this was my first playthrough I did it on easy. Afterwards I did both the Chaos (Hakke) and Neutral routes on Normal. There's very sparse information on this game online which has made trying to unlock the extras difficult, even worse a lot of the GameFAQs info on how to unlock things appears to be incorrect.

To unlock trial mode I believe you need to complete every stage in the game at least once (which requires at least two playthroughs) since I unlocked it in my second run (Chaos) which features a stage (Kunlun) which I think is exclusive to the Chaos route. To Unlock the Sound Test you need to get a S rank in Trial, the time requirements for a S rank seems to be around 4 minutes and 30 seconds or less, I know for sure that getting over 5 minutes results in a A ranking instead. I'm still trying to figure out how to unlock Museum, someone online said they got every ending, but still didn't unlock it afterwards. Thus, my current theory is maybe you have to get the best ending (Law+Bonus FMV,) but it specifically has to be on Normal mode.

Anyway, moving on to the music related information I've acquired. Firstly, as I mentioned before the file you linked is on the the Mini Soundtrack (track 15,) however I can now confirm that it's not featured in the game's Sound Test. Unless it's used in the Museum (which I think is just for re-watching the ending cinematics) then it must be unused. However, I'm kind of doubting its used in the Museum, but I do intend to try and find out for certain if possible. Next I noticed that there was a single comment on the Mini Soundtrack iTune's page which said "一番聴きたかった「VS八卦戦」の曲(バチカンのステージでメシア教信者と戦闘するシーンでも流れる曲) が入っていないようでとても残念です・・・"

"八卦" is referring to the main antagonists, the "Hakke" (their name refers to this if you were at all curious. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bagua) Anyway, If I'm understanding this comment correctly then they're saying that they are disappointed that the theme that plays when battling the Hakke is not included on the Mini Soundtrack and how the theme is also used when fighting the "Messianic Believer" enemies in the Vatican City stage. As a side note this track also plays for the final boss of the chaos route which is the head of the Fukenshi, "Lee Fu Sho" ("Fu Shou Lee" in the US version of Maken X.) After going through the Sound Test I think that the only other music besides the Hakke boss theme that might be unreleased is "Escape" (which I think is only in Shao,) but I'll need to double check to be certain. If I recall correctly this music is used during required battles, ex. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtpJIse1_PU&t=1m6s

Also, I was curious if it be worth adding the Sound Test titles to the X & Shao albums since a few of the track titles are different. Either way, I'll list them here for archival purposes since I doubt anyone else will ever do so. I won't bother showing the equivalent titles for the original Dreamcast versions since the titles would obviously be the same minus the "~Shao ver~."

"Kanazawa Research Institute" = Research Institute ~Shao ver~
"Rhincodon" = Airborne ~Shao Ver.~ *"Rhincodon" is the name of the aircraft that this stage takes place on.
"Hong Kong"
"Taj Mahal" = India ~Shao ver~
"Moscow"
"London" = Mist *Recycled from Maken X
"Istanbul"
"Vienna"
"Clock Tower" = Transylvania ~Shao ver~
"Amsterdam"
"Vatican City" = Washington ~Shao ver~ *Both stages share this theme
"Sicily"
"Lisbon"
"Amazon" = Brazil ~Shao ver~
"The Forbidden City (China)" = The Forbidden City *Recycled from Maken X
"Ground Chaos" = Other Space *Recycled from Maken X
"Ancient God" = Last Boss ~Shao ver~
"Hakke" *As the name implies this is the Hakke boss theme, which is unreleased.
"Attack" = Mid-Boss ~Shao ver~ *Surprised this isn't titled "Fukenshi" since the other boss theme is simply titled "Hakke." Regardless, as I mentioned before the OST title is inaccurate since the Hakke and Fukenshi are bosses not mid-bosses. The actual mid-bosses just use the original boss theme from Maken X.
"Ambush" = Boss *Recycled from Maken X
"Escape" = *Uneleased?
"End of Power" = Theme of Love ~Shao ver~
"End of Power (Truth)" = Theme of Devotion ~Shao ver~
"Kanazawa Research Institute" *This one is the Dreamcast version despite it not saying "(DC)" to differentiate it from the Shao versions like the other ones.
"Rhincodon (DC)"
"Hong Kong (DC)"
"Tajmahal (DC)" = India *Maken X, clearly a misspelling of "Taj Mahal."
"Moscow (DC)"
"London (DC)"
"Istanbul (DC)"
"Underpass (DS)" = Risky *Maken X
"Vienna (DC)"
"Clock Tower (DC)"
"Amsterdam (DC)"
"Vatican City (DC)"
"Sicily (DC)"
"Lisbon (DC)"
"Kun Lum (DC)" = Kunlun *Maken X, clearly a misspelling of "Kunlun."
"Amazon (DC)"
"Ground Chaos (DC)"

Lastly I'd recommend changing "Seal Knight ~Shao ver~" ("封剣士 ~爻 ver~" ) to "Fukenshi ~Shao ver~" since that's how it's translated in the European version. (The US release of Maken X simplifies it by just calling them "Blademasters.") However, with that said I still truly believe that this title was supposed to be for track 14 since that is the actual boss theme for the Fukenshi, not 15. Even if track 15 is used somewhere in the game, which again still seems unlikely, I can't imagine it has anything to do with what it's titled after. Seeing as the digital Mini Soundtrack was released about a decade after the game I can see how mistakes could have been potentially made, would it be possible to contact Shoji Meguro for some actual conformation regarding this? As a side note, the use of "~Shao ver~" in track 14 & 15's titles is kind of odd seeing as they're not remixes of music from Maken X like the titles would imply.
Old Jan 20, 2018, 08:09 AM
VGMdb Advisor

You sure those youtube vids confirms the unknown song is track 15? Maybe somebody assumed.

From JP sites:
- trial: get Kunlun ending
- sound test: get S in trial
- museum: get GOOD ending

Good end: Fukenshi questions all YES, Kei question YES, Lisbon question YES, beat all Hakke, don't beat any Fukenshi
(there may be other conditions, here is flowchart in moon, you want FIN): http://blueviolet.ninja-web.net/game/maken/stage.htm

The comment is saying that, yes.
Old Jan 20, 2018, 10:49 PM

Quote:
I believe despite the name, this contains all the new (unreleased) music used in Shao. The rest was reused from Maken X.
The only one I don't recognize is track 15, but that's probably Kunlun renamed. I think 14 was the only new track in Shao.
I forgot to mention that Shao reuses the track "Research Institute ~Shao ver~" for the Kunlun stage instead of remixing the original Kunlun theme from X. Tracks 1-13 are remixes of stage music originally from X. Track 16 is a remix of the Final Boss theme, but it's pretty similar to the original version, the main difference between the two is that the bass is played 4 intervals higher to create a non-resolving feel in the original Dreamcast version. Track 17 and 18 are the two ending themes, but I honestly don't notice any difference between the X OST and Shao Sound Test versions while trying to listen to them side-by-side. Track 14 as you mentioned is exclusive to Shao and is the Fukenshi boss theme and I'm still looking into track 15 to see what the deal is with that one.

Quote:
You sure those youtube vids confirms the unknown song is track 15? Maybe somebody assumed.
Are you referring to this one? (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PsFqPmXfmgI) I was mainly just saying that it was the same song that you linked me a file to. However the name was the same as the previous title for track 15, which is why I took a look at the iTunes page. If you look at the preview for track 15 here (https://itunes.apple.com/jp/album/id437445998) it's very clearly the same song as both the one you linked and that youtube video. Let me know if you have any other questions regarding the youtube videos I linked.

Quote:
From JP sites:
- trial: get Kunlun ending
- sound test: get S in trial
- museum: get GOOD ending

Good end: Fukenshi questions all YES, Kei question YES, Lisbon question YES, beat all Hakke, don't beat any Fukenshi
(there may be other conditions, here is flowchart in moon, you want FIN): http://blueviolet.ninja-web.net/game/maken/stage.htm

The comment is saying that, yes.
I'll play through the game again when I get a chance, I did manage to get the Good ending with the bonus FMV, but the game must not count it if you do it on beginner as that was the only run I did on beginner difficulty. Once I finally unlock Museum mode I'll let you know if track 15 is used anywhere in it. I don't think it'll be necessary for me to do the other 4 endings in the game as they'll just bring me through the same stages and therefor shouldn't have any music I haven't already heard, but I may do a couple at some point anyway to be certain.

I'll also watch a playthrough of Maken X when I get a chance and re-listen to both soundtracks to confirm that the song "Escape" from the Sound Test is unreleased and that it isn't recycled from X like a lot of the other music. I'm pretty sure it's exclusive to Shao, but I like to be as thorough and accurate as possible. Also I just remembered that other than "Hakke" and "Escape" the only other unreleased music that I can think of is the audio that plays when saving in Shao from within a stage (Pretty sure there wern't any save spots within Maken X's stages, so this one must be exclusive to Shao.) However this may qualify as just background ambience rather than actual music, regardless, figured I just mention it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0-9nJVhbrg&t=6m8s

Last edited by BlazingAbyss; Jan 22, 2018 at 01:58 PM.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 11:24 PM

I finally unlocked Museum mode, it seems that my theory about it not unlocking originally because I was on Beginner mode for that particular playthrough was correct. Turns out the Museum is just for character and promotional art and not for cutscenes and/or Endings like I originally thought. Either way I can now confirm that track 15 is not used there either. I even went the extra mile and did 6 out of the 7 endings (2 of which are determined by a question asked at the very end of one of the routes.) However, the game unfortunately only has 5 save slots so I probably won't bother trying to do the last one unless you feel that it's necessary to be 100% certain, but I think it's a safe to assume that it isn't used anywhere there either. I did find a video of the Maxen X version of said ending though. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jxlly7-Is5M

I couldn't find a video of the Shao version of this ending, but I did come across a video including the Kou boss fight that occurs in this route. His boss battle just uses the generic mini-boss theme (aka the boss theme from X,) which is also used when you battle him in the Hakke/Chaos route http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJ5cxgMhwr0&t=24m12s

I also watched an entire palythrough of Maken X, so I can now confirm that "Escape" wasn't recycled from X and is exclusive to Shao. It's also not featured on either soundtrack. Meaning that "Hakke," "Escape" & the Save theme that plays when inside of a stage (if it even counts as music) are the only unreleased tracks, all three of which are exclusive to Shao.

With that said, I think it's safe to assume that tracks 14 & 15 were mislabeled as neither are actually related to what they're titled. Maybe track 15 was originally meant to be the Fukenshi boss theme (or perhaps something else entirely,) but was then switched out latter on, either way it's clearly not used anywhere in the game itself. Perhaps it should be added to the album notes that track 14 is the Fukenshi boss theme (which is titled "Attack" in the Sound Test) and not the mid-boss theme and that 15 is unused. If it's possible to contact Shoji Meguro or just someone from the Atlus Sound Team perhaps they could explain what's up with those two tracks.

Last edited by BlazingAbyss; Jan 23, 2018 at 01:50 PM.