VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Miscellaneous Discussion > Artist Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Nov 27, 2008, 03:34 PM

Default Hiroshi Kawaguchi (#121)

This is Hiroshi Kawaguchi. He performed at the EXTRA Hyper Game Music Event with [H.] this year. He is the Section Manager of the Sound Section of AM R&D Dept. #3, according to his business card.
Old Nov 27, 2008, 04:48 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Is the business card recent and does it actually say Kawaguchi on it? Basically, is this finally definitive proof he's going by Kawaguchi instead of Miyauchi?
Old Nov 27, 2008, 11:32 PM

he's credited by that name on Game Over (well, at least the scans -- not on the entry though... *edit*)
Old Nov 28, 2008, 01:03 AM
VGMdb Administrator

1991: Miyauchi (SYNERGY MCMXCI 1991)
1993: Miyauchi (Great wall, Virtua Racing & Out Runners)
1994: Kawaguchi (Game Over, Daytona USA)
2003: Miyauchi (Back in the S.S.T. Band!! ~The Very Best~)

These are all the times his family name is explicitly credited in the scans we have. Everything else is "Hiro" or nothing.
Old Dec 2, 2008, 12:50 AM

The business card is recent as of EXTRA 2008. It's written "Kawaguchi" in romaji.

川口 博史(Hiroshi Kawaguchi)

Let me know if you need me to scan it.
Old Dec 2, 2008, 02:11 AM
VGMdb Administrator

I believe you and am currently in the process of hooking everything together, but if you're willing to scan the card, I'd love to see it just for my own edification.
Old Dec 2, 2008, 08:57 AM
VGMdb Staff

Shouldn't the bulk of his works be credited to his old name, though? Since this is the one he did pretty much all of his composing under, and it being the name people in general associate him with.
Old Apr 19, 2011, 05:29 AM
VGMdb Advisor

Is this @kawahiro1004 the Twitter account of the Sega composer? I think at least Takenobu Mitsuyoshi should follow Hiro if it's really him.
Old Apr 19, 2011, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revoc View Post
Is this @kawahiro1004 the Twitter account of the Sega composer? I think at least Takenobu Mitsuyoshi should follow Hiro if it's really him.
Doesn't seem like it is, unless Carl knows something we don't..
Old Apr 21, 2011, 03:58 PM
VGMdb Advisor

I've just found his real Twitter account: @clublego_hiro, as confirmed by S.S.T. Band Back-up Team.
Old Dec 7, 2013, 03:48 PM

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know for sure if Hiro did the music for Metal Fangs on the Mega Drive? It really sounds like his work -- the drum samples and instruments are straight out of Rent A Hero -- and the game credits "H.M" with sound. The strange thing is that Sega isn't even so much as mentioned anywhere in the game, and it was published by a third-party (Victor).
Old Dec 9, 2015, 01:24 PM

Did Hiro leave Sega?
Old Dec 9, 2015, 02:49 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Have you seen something that says or makes you think he left? I haven't heard anything about him leaving, and he's still calling himself a Sega sound creator in his Twitter bio.
Old Dec 9, 2015, 03:02 PM

Last year, he composed for Protect Me Knight 2. Composer don't often compose for a game that is not made by the company they are employed for (I don't believe Wave Master had any involvement with that game), unless they use an alias (just like what Hideki Naganuma did for Air Gear)
Old Dec 9, 2015, 03:30 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Ah, gotcha. I don't know what the circumstances were for him getting involved with that game.

I checked Hiro's JP Wikipedia article and it says he was still with Sega in April 2015 (specifically, he and Takenobu Mitsuyoshi went to the sound section of the new Sega Interactive subsidiary), and that postdates PMK2's release.
Old Dec 9, 2015, 10:48 PM
Trusted Editor

Yea, Hiro is still with Sega, but he gets a lot more freedom than somebody like Senoue or Ohtani to do other projects, probably due to his elder status?
Old Jan 20, 2020, 05:15 PM
VGMdb Staff

Hiro has been posting pictures of his old work material from the 80s. He found them when he was moving.

https://twitter.com/Hiro_H10th/statu...82667180118016
https://twitter.com/Hiro_H10th/statu...84427968122880
https://twitter.com/Hiro_H10th/statu...04269833625600

Interesting look at the VGM creation process back in the 80s.
Old Nov 10, 2020, 04:02 AM
VGMdb Staff

The works list from Hiro's old Hitmaker Sound Page, for anyone who feels like discussing it here. As an aside, it debunks the Metal Fangs theory. Also, they're not quite in exact chronological order, just loosely.

Copied over:

ガールズガーデン(プログラム)/ロードランナー(エンディングBGM)/CHAMPION SOCCER II(プログラム)/MONACO GP(極秘)/PIT POT(BGM一式)/MAGIC HOUSE(BGM一式)/ハングオン(BGM)/スペースハリアー(BGM)/ファンタジーゾーン(BG M)/チョップリフター/OUT RUN(BGM)/エンデューロ・レーサー(メインBGMのみ)/AFTER BURNER(BGM)/スーパーモナコGP(イメージBGM)/スタジアムクロス(1曲担当&サウンドド ライバー)/アレックスキッド(BGM)/ドリームパレス/パチコン/トロッコ/AIR Rescue(効果音)/エアホッケー(BGM)/クールライダース(ハングオンBGMアレンジ&ドライバ )/ソニックアーケード(BGM)/ドラゴンボール(BGM&ドライバー)/Hot Rod(BGM一式)/パワー・ドリフト(BGM)/ヴァーミリオン/ターボ・アウトラン/G-LOC/G P-Rider/Dinamit Dux(BGM、効果音&ドライバー)/レンタヒーロー/スピードバスケット(BGM)/Outrunne rs(スペイン面とどっかの2曲)/Rail Chase The Ride(BGM一式)/キャラペンウルトラマン(BGMアレンジ)/STC(BGM2曲)/Fighte rs MegaMix(レンタヒーローのアレンジ)/SEGA AGES OUT RUN(BGM4曲アレンジ)/SEGA AGES ファンタジーゾーン(メインテーマをボーカルアレンジ)/SoundFactoryプロデュース/STCの 音楽CD2曲をアレンジ/Model3用SSD(サウンドドライバ)/タイタン用SSD(サウンドドライバ )/クラッキンDJ/Part2/DOC USA/DARTSLIVE /とか。

My rough translation:

Girl's Garden (Program) / Lode Runner (Ending BGM) / CHAMPION SOCCER II (Program) / MONACO GP (Top Secret) / PIT POT (All BGM) / MAGIC HOUSE (All BGM) / Hang-On (BGM) / Space Harrier (BGM) / Fantasy Zone (BGM) / Choplifter / OUT RUN (BGM) / Enduro Racer (Main BGM only) / AFTER BURNER (BGM) / Super Monaco GP (Image BGM) / Stadium Cross (In charge of 1 song & Sound Driver) / Alex Kidd (BGM) / Dream Palace / Pachicon / Truck / AIR Rescue (Sound Effects) / Air Hockey (BGM) / Cool Riders (Hang-On BGM arrange & Driver) / Sonic Arcade (BGM) / Dragon Ball (BGM & Driver) / Hot Rod (All BGM) / Power Drift (BGM) / Vermilion / Turbo OutRun / G-LOC / GP-Rider / Dinamit Dux (BGM, Sound Effects & Driver) / Rent A Hero / Speed Basket (BGM) / OutRunners (2 songs including Spain) / Rail Chase The Ride (All BGM) / Kyarapen Ultraman (BGM arrange) / STC (2 BGM songs) / Fighters MegaMix (Rent A Hero arrange) / SEGA AGES OUT RUN (4 BGM songs arrange) / SEGA AGES Fantasy Zone (Vocal arrange of Main Theme) / SoundFactory Produce / STC Music CD Arrange of 2 songs / SSD for Model3 (Sound Driver) / SSD for Titan (Sound Driver) / Crackin'DJ / Part2 / DOC USA/ DARTSLIVE / etc.

Product clarifications I can give for those who need it:
Alex Kidd = Alex Kidd: The Lost Stars
Sonic Arcade = SEGASONIC THE HEDGEHOG
Dragon Ball = Dragon Ball Z V.R.V.S
Vermilion = Sword of Vermillion
Dinamit Dux = Dynamite Dux
Speed Basket = Speed Basketball
STC = Sega TouringCar Championship
Titan = SEGA Titan Video
SoundFactory = I'm guessing it's this.
Part2 = Crackin'DJ Part2
DOC USA = Derby Owners Club USA version (I assume Derby Owners Club World Edition)

Last edited by Nicolaas Hamman; Dec 20, 2020 at 01:47 AM. Reason: More explanations
Old Nov 10, 2020, 03:40 PM
Trusted Editor

Also debunks Ninja Burai Densetsu, a Sega game also credited to a "Hiro".