VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Dec 10, 2019, 05:19 PM
VGMdb Staff
VGM Artist

Default 620909: LOOM 30 Minute Audio Drama (reprint)

Is there anybody owning the Japanese version of this album ?
- Can you confirm the Japanese version contains both Japanese & US Drama (6 tracks total) ?
Old Mar 15, 2020, 08:25 PM

While I do not own the album to check and there are two lists which seem to imply both dubs to be on the Japanese CD, I find this rather unlikely. Still, for what it's worth, the FM Towns version of the game is said to contain both Japanese and English subtitles. One would have to pay a pretty penny to find out if both dubs are on the Japanese drama CD. It seems to go for several hundred dollars these days...

EDIT: Moriarty mentioned in his GDC postmortem talk that the "final mix" on the cassette (or possibly this one?) is "slightly different from the one on the promotional CD". So it might be that this later CD is not actually a reprint (or it is in fact a reprint and only the cassette(s) are different).

Last edited by zierts; Mar 17, 2020 at 01:27 PM.
Old Mar 18, 2020, 03:37 PM
VGMdb Staff
VGM Artist

I know for sure there are 2 different versions of the "drama".

The only but notable difference between the two is one have a continuous ambiance music & sounds during dialogs, while the other have not (more audible but less immersive)

I know the LOOM Limited Edition Compact Disc got the less immersive version.
I don't really know where the other version comes from, probably from one of these tapes.
(i upped short samples if someone can confirm this or maybe it's my ears and maybe a bad encoding: (one / two)
Old Mar 18, 2020, 05:55 PM

No, it's definitely not just you. Listening to your files and doing a spectral analysis, these samples are indeed different and not just due to bad encoding of version two. The difference is very audible when Clothos says "Poor child."

This is fascinating, many thanks. If I understood correctly, you are saying that version one is the LOOM Limited Edition Compact Disc. I agree that version two seems to be from one of the English cassette tapes (so this or this one), given its slightly lower audio quality.

I really wonder if the LOOM 30 Minute Audio Drama disc uses the updated version two mix or is just a reprint of the LOOM Limited Edition Compact Disc. Given that every single YouTube upload of the English drama is version one, however, I suspect version two was indeed limited to a cassette release.

For what it's worth, the other dubs seem to consistently use a mix similar to version two.