VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Search

Old Nov 6, 2008, 11:40 AM

I've always been confused about Dan Miyakawa's role on the original SNES soundtrack, so I'm hopeful that this release will clear that up (don't think he's mentioned at all in the KSSU game credits). Great to see the game finally getting something resembling an OST release though.
Old Nov 6, 2008, 11:48 AM
VGMdb Advisor

Interesting point about Dan Miyakawa's role, Blitz Lunar. By the way, this OST will has three arranges for Smash Bros. Brawl. According to the official list, the arrangers of the Kirby Super Star tracks are Yasunori Mitsuda, Motoi Sakuraba and Noriyuki Iwadare.
http://www.smashbros.com/en_us/music/music24_list.html
Old Nov 7, 2008, 03:25 AM

*prays for a complete non-half-assed release*

Either way it turns out I'm sold. Anyone know an easy way to get Club Nintendo items?
Old Nov 8, 2008, 07:37 AM

They're supposed to be bringing Club Nintendo to the US by the end of the year. Doubt we'll get a lot of cool swag like this though, so you'll probably have to buy it from VGM World. I stopped registering my games after there was nothing worth getting. Hopefully that will change...
Old Nov 15, 2008, 01:57 AM

Does someone know WHEN it will be released in 2009? This album is one of my top 3 most wanted albums so far

Edit: Ah... I see. I'll update the page.
Old Jan 1, 2009, 06:11 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitz Lunar View Post
I've always been confused about Dan Miyakawa's role on the original SNES soundtrack, so I'm hopeful that this release will clear that up (don't think he's mentioned at all in the KSSU game credits).
Yeah, sound in KSSU is credited to Jun Ishikawa and Hirokazu Ando, at least through Milky Way Wishes, which is as far as I've played. I guess there could possibly be more credits later for the extra stuff (Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney has two sets of credits, one for the original four cases and one for the fifth extra one). But Dan Miyakawa isn't in any of the credits for the original KSS game modes.

There are some new music tracks. I haven't done a direct comparison between the reused BGM and the KSS original versions, but as far as I can remember, they're pretty damn close to the original music.
Old Jan 7, 2009, 06:38 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revoc View Post
By the way, this OST will has three arranges for Smash Bros. Brawl.
What's the source on the arrangements being from Brawl? This page you linked in the first post lists them as USDX arranges: Kirby Ultra Super Deluxe (what would Brawl be, DSBX?). None of the three arranged tracks match any of the KSS-specific tracks in Brawl:

34 Stage Medley / Acoustic ver.
35 Boss Battle Medley / Electronic ver.
36 Milky Way Wishes: Staff Roll / Orchestra ver.
Old Jan 13, 2009, 04:26 PM
VGMdb Advisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHz View Post
What's the source on the arrangements being from Brawl? This page you linked in the first post lists them as USDX arranges: Kirby Ultra Super Deluxe (what would Brawl be, DSBX?). None of the three arranged tracks match any of the KSS-specific tracks in Brawl:

34 Stage Medley / Acoustic ver.
35 Boss Battle Medley / Electronic ver.
36 Milky Way Wishes: Staff Roll / Orchestra ver.
Man, you are absolutely right. Sorry for the trouble.
Old Feb 2, 2009, 02:01 AM

Does anybody intend to translate this album? That'd be really useful. Thanks if you're able to!
Old Feb 2, 2009, 07:07 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Okay, I gave it a shot.
Old Feb 2, 2009, 08:07 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Got some suggestions on the translation, feel free to disregard at will:

07 Tomorrow, Tomorrow's Wind Will Blow / あしたはあしたのかぜがふく
This is apparently a proverb?
Quote:
Originally Posted by some site
明日は明日の風が吹く
[あしたはあしたのかぜがふく, ashita wa ashita no kaze ga fuku] tomorrow is a new day (lit.: on the morrow the winds of tomorrow will blow)
So I think a less literal translation would be better, "Tomorrow Is a New Day" is a pretty common phrase.

08 Peanuts Field / ピーナツ平野
Nothing strictly wrong with this, but I think a more Kirbyesque approach to the stage name would be to use some alliteration: "Peanuts Plain." I know the word is literally "peanuts," but personally "Peanut Plain" sounds better to me than "Peanuts Plain" does.

22 A Wish Upon the Galaxy / 銀河にねがいを (also 36 A Wish Upon the Galaxy: Staff Roll)
This game mode is titled "Milky Way Wishes" in the U.S. release, which to me carries all the meaning of the Japanese.

23 Mark's Ambition / マルクの野望 (also 25 Vs. Mark)
This character's name is Marx overseas, which would generally be written slightly differently, but that's pretty official.

29 Aerial Fortress Kaballa / 飛行砲台カブーラー
This boss's name is given in the English version as Kabula.

32 Fiercest Galactive Warrior / 銀河最強の戦士
Direct quote from the cutscene prior to the battle with this BGM: "I wish to fight the greatest warrior in the galaxy."

Also there was a typo in track 33 that I just fixed, "trumphal" instead of "triumphal."
Old Feb 2, 2009, 08:19 PM
VGMdb Administrator

I've never played any Kirby games, so go ahead and change all of those.
Old Mar 4, 2010, 11:03 PM

The products represented section lists the American name of this as Kirby Super Star Deluxe, but it should be Kirby Super Star Ultra. Deluxe is the word the Japanese have used to describe both releases of this game; Ultra is the word both countries use to describe this specific release.
Old Feb 1, 2011, 02:16 PM

So...no composer breakdown for this?
Old Feb 2, 2011, 03:36 AM

We can at least rule out the unarranged songs from Kirby Super Star as being Jun Ishikawa's. As for the rest listed below, I just left them credited to Jun Ishikawa and Hirokazu Ando:

02: Intro is from KSS, but the way it ends is new.
03: don't remember if this arrangement is new to KSSU or if it appeared in another game before (obviously it comes from Dream Land originally.) in any case it isn't in KSS.
10: this arrangement is new to KSSU. originally from Dream Land.
11: also a new arrangement for KSSU, though the song it's based on does appear in KSS.
18: new song for KSSU
23: new song for KSSU. certainly Mr. Ando's work :]
26: medley of new songs for KSSU. I don't think any of these were in Super Star...
28: the first part of this track appears in Super Star. the second half arranged in a rock style is new.
29: new to KSSU. love this one...
30: another new arrangement of an old song from KSS.
31: another new arrangement. this one's originally from Kirby 64, isn't it?
32: new song.

so, personally, what I'd put on the album page is this:

Jun Ishikawa: 01, 04~09, 12~17, 19~22, 24, 25, 27, 33
Jun Ishikawa, Hirokazu Ando: 02, 03, 10, 11, 18, 23, 26, 28~32

except I haven't since I want to see what other people think.

Last edited by Blitz Lunar; Feb 2, 2011 at 03:48 AM.
Old Feb 3, 2011, 04:01 PM

03: I feel like I've heard this arrangement before, but can't remember where.
10: This arrangement sounds kind of similar to the one in Air Ride.
18: Ishikawa?
23: Definitely Ando.
26: The last tune appears in KSS.
29: Ishikawa?
30: Love the timing changes here.
31: Yep. Ripple Star Select. I'm glad to hear it arranged. I love this tune, even though it's so short.
32: Ishikawa? This tune owns.
Old Feb 3, 2011, 06:28 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Quote:
We can at least rule out the unarranged songs from Kirby Super Star as being Jun Ishikawa's.
I'm not sure it's safe to assume the bookkeeping was that good and Dan Miyakawa wasn't credited in KSSU because all of the unarranged music was Ishikawa's, as opposed to Dan Miyakawa simply not being credited because he wasn't part of KSSU's sound staff.

This is a pretty unique case, though, since usually Kirby music is arranged when it's reused in subsequent games, whereas a lot of it here is just reused straight because KSSU is a remake. The closest analog I can think of is Kirby Tilt 'n' Tumble, which reuses a couple of tracks from Kirby's Dream Land fairly exactly, except with some shortened intros. That game doesn't credit Jun Ishikawa; the only people credited are the sound staff who worked on the game: Takuya Maekawa, Yuichi Ozaki, and Masami Yone. TnT also wasn't developed by HAL, though, so there's only one person total from HAL in the credits, an illustrator.

Dan Miyakawa's role in KSS is super mysterious anyway. He and Ishikawa are credited as just "sound composers" in both the English and Japanese versions, so he might not have even composed any music to begin with!

Aside: I'm also not 100% positive that the Dan Miyakawa credited in KSS is the same as the musician Dan Miyakawa we currently have him hooked up as: http://danmiyakawa.com/. He doesn't list Nintendo, KSS, or any other games on his website. KSS does predate his anime works by several years, so it's certainly possible that the HAL stuff was just some employment early in his career that he's left out. He wouldn't have been there for very long, anyway.
Old Feb 4, 2011, 03:35 AM

you're right of course; it's best to be safe about these things. it looks like Miyakawa has an e-mail form on his site though I'm not sure what it's there for... it's asking for age and gender and I am also not sure how one could possibly receive a reply from using it. nonetheless, tempting... because goddamn if this isn't one of the most frustrating game music mysteries. I think it is most likely that Miyakawa did SFX or sound programming or something like that, and particularly unlikely that it's a different person ~ Kirbypedia seems to think not anyway ~ it looks like they already did the investigative work... though they didn't clarify his role.

Quote:
18: Ishikawa?
29: Ishikawa?
32: Ishikawa? This tune owns.
I think so 29 casts some doubt for me but not a lot.
Old Feb 4, 2011, 11:17 AM

Theoretically let's say Miyakawa did compose for KSS. What compositions would be considered his? Everything stands out as being Ishikawa to me, with maybe the exception of "Megaton Punch". So I think sound effects or programming seems more likely, unless he was in charge of arranging the Dreamland tracks, or doing the little jingles. Maybe as practice or something. *shrugs*
Old Feb 4, 2011, 06:31 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Quote:
I think it is most likely that Miyakawa did SFX or sound programming or something like that, and particularly unlikely that it's a different person ~ Kirbypedia seems to think not anyway ~ it looks like they already did the investigative work... though they didn't clarify his role.
Iiiiiinteresting, and yet tantalizingly short on info.

I don't really have any solid evidence that they're different people, just a lingering doubt because the Kirby work seems out of place. Him not liking VGM work is certainly a good explanation for why he doesn't advertise that he did it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by strugglepoo View Post
Theoretically let's say Miyakawa did compose for KSS. What compositions would be considered his? Everything stands out as being Ishikawa to me, with maybe the exception of "Megaton Punch". So I think sound effects or programming seems more likely, unless he was in charge of arranging the Dreamland tracks, or doing the little jingles. Maybe as practice or something. *shrugs*
I tend not to dive into composer speculation very much, because I always end up hilariously wrong.

But I do agree with you and Lunar that Miyakawa's involvement in the soundtrack was probably minimal, and I hear Ishikawa's hand in a lot of the music. Miyakawa doing jingles is certainly a possibility: Hirokazu Ando wrote mostly jingles and cutscene stuff for Kirby 64 while Ishikawa handled most of the menu and main game music (with some overlap of course, and the OST isn't complete so some tracks aren't accounted for).
Old Jun 1, 2011, 10:28 AM

This isn't a normal commercial item, so any reasonable date could be correct, but how the current date was decided? I think this album was added as a tradeble item on November 6th, 2008, and as far as I take a short survey, 28 or 29 January was the common date the first delivery was finished.
Old Sep 8, 2011, 12:39 PM

Why HAL Laboratory, Inc. is the performer? o.o
Old Sep 17, 2011, 07:10 PM

fixed the Japanese title added the Original part to the title was missing.
Old Feb 25, 2014, 05:28 PM

As always the problem that what composed Hirokazu Ando.

Last edited by Mächtig; Feb 25, 2014 at 08:20 PM.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 06:49 AM

Maybe this helps a bit: http://ja.kirby.wikia.com/wiki/星のカービ...��トラック

According to what I read and researched, the role of Ando in this game was of arranger, not the composition, so that could attribute the credits of all track to Ishikawa.
Old Sep 8, 2014, 11:47 AM

Does that exclude the reused compositions from Kirby's Adventure? I believe those were all Ando's.
Old Jul 4, 2018, 03:45 AM
VGMdb Administrator

HAL released free sheet music for "Kirby's Adventure Medley" and "King Dedede & Meta Knight Medley" from the orchestra concert: https://www.kirby.jp/music/score/

The scores include English song titles, including "Masked Dedede's Theme," "Boarding the Halberd," "Havoc aboard the Halberd," and "My Friend and the Sunset" in the latter medley. So I guess those all are extremely official now

Also no one bothered to post it here specifically, but since I'm posting on the same topic, nextday noticed a little while back that track 7 was translated "A New Wind for Tomorrow" on sheet music used during the orchestra concert itself.

Last edited by CHz; Jul 4, 2018 at 03:49 AM.
Old Jun 12, 2020, 02:25 PM

Is it known (or at least generally assumed) that Jun Ishikawa arranged the updated versions of tracks in this OST? For instance "Grand Opening"; that's obviously from the original game, but this version is different. Do we know if Ishikawa handled the remakes of his old tracks, or did Hirokazu Ando do some of that?
Old Jun 12, 2020, 03:18 PM
VGMdb Administrator

While we have Ishikawa confirmed for some of Super Star Ultra's original tracks from their reuse in later games (Together with the Spring Breeze: Title, Revenge of the King: Title, True Arena Showdown, Bottom Corkboard, and Heavy Lobster), I don't believe we know for sure who was responsible for any of the rearranged tracks from Super Star. I wouldn't be surprised if they were mostly/all Ishikawa though