VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Oct 4, 2008, 02:29 PM
VGMdb Administrator

This Siliconera interview confirms my suspicion that the IPPO credited for MM7 sound is Ippo Yamada. Several sites report that it's Izuho Takeuchi, and while Ippo is a known alias of his, it doesn't really make sense that he worked on MM7, since he was a Sega employee for his career, working on SMS and Genesis games only.
Old Jul 27, 2009, 11:32 PM

Anyone have any idea who composed which tracks on this soundtrack?
Old Dec 27, 2009, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleJCrb View Post
Anyone have any idea who composed which tracks on this soundtrack?
Chiptuned Rockman confirmed that Yuko Takehara composed "Slashman," but that's all for now.
Old Dec 28, 2009, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyubihanyou View Post
Chiptuned Rockman confirmed that Yuko Takehara composed "Slashman," but that's all for now.
Based on that info, and taking into account the BoF2 soundtrack, I'd speculate that Takehara is also responsible for "Opening Demo 1" and "Shademan". In fact, I'd bet on it.

It's also possible that the composer of "Museum" is either Manami Matsumae or Yoshihiro Sakaguchi. Listeners will recognize the first part of this track as the Gutsman BGM from the original Mega Man--which Matsumae and Sakaguchi scored. Assuming one of them sourced their old Gutsman music, they would have to have taken on yet another alias as listed on the MM7 soundtrack: Krsk, Kan, Apple Z, More Rich, or Narinari. None of those artists have vgmdb pages, nor do any of the names suggest either of the MM1 composers. So unless there's some clever (or broken) wordplay going on, I'm stumped.

(However, older music has been resurrected in later iterations in the Mega Man and other Capcom series... sometimes without the original composer ever being credited, such as the uncredited appearance of the "Breath of Fire" theme in BoF2, which originally came from BoF1)

Also, one of the unknown aliases must be Mari Yamaguchi, since the "alternate" Shademan tracks (track 36 and 37) are both from Super Ghosts N Ghouls.
Old Dec 28, 2009, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jormungand View Post
Based on that info, and taking into account the BoF2 soundtrack, I'd speculate that Takehara is also responsible for "Opening Demo 1" and "Shademan". In fact, I'd bet on it.

It's also possible that the composer of "Museum" is either Manami Matsumae or Yoshihiro Sakaguchi. Listeners will recognize the first part of this track as the Gutsman BGM from the original Mega Man--which Matsumae and Sakaguchi scored. Assuming one of them sourced their old Gutsman music, they would have to have taken on yet another alias as listed on the MM7 soundtrack: Krsk, Kan, Apple Z, More Rich, or Narinari. None of those artists have vgmdb pages, nor do any of the names suggest either of the MM1 composers. So unless there's some clever (or broken) wordplay going on, I'm stumped.

(However, older music has been resurrected in later iterations in the Mega Man and other Capcom series... sometimes without the original composer ever being credited, such as the uncredited appearance of the "Breath of Fire" theme in BoF2, which originally came from BoF1)

Also, one of the unknown aliases must be Mari Yamaguchi, since the "alternate" Shademan tracks (track 36 and 37) are both from Super Ghosts N Ghouls.
Agreed with Yuko composing Opening Demo 1 and Shademan because:
Opening Demo 1: Its basically a reprise of music she originally composed not too long ago.
Shademan: Yuko proved in Rockman 6 that she is capable of composing based on an area's culture (Tomahawkman, Flameman, Yamatoman, Centaurman, etc), and since Shademan (and Slashman) stands out from the rest, I would conclude the same.

The Museum theme, however, also includes Heatman and Snakeman, so don't automatically assume that Yoshihiro or Manani worked on this; they were pretty much nowhere regarding SNES titles.

Lastly, I'd say that Mari Yamaguchi is either More Rich or Narinari; either way, it would be strange that she would be unable to contribute to something that relates to the game she composed, which in turn was on the same console and not too far away from Rockman 7.

Last edited by kyubihanyou; Feb 27, 2010 at 03:01 PM.
Old Jan 28, 2010, 10:09 PM

Random theories about the remaining aliases:

Krsk = Toshihiko Horiyama ---> KRSK = K I R R Y T O S H I H I K O
Kan = Kanta Watanabe, co-composer of Denno Tenshi: Digital Angel and Sonic Blast Man II
Apple Z = Aki Zaitsu, who co-composed Lufia & The Fortress of Doom
More Rich = Keiji Yamagishi (aka More Yamasan) of Ninja Gaiden fame
Narinari = Nori Atsumi? Mari Yamaguchi?

Unofficial Breakdown:
(What is with underwhelming 7th games having 9 composers? Even Sonic Heroes fell victim to something like this. Gawd.)

-Tatsuya Nishimura: SE Only (CONFIRMED); Alarm (?), Blues' Whistle (?)

-Yuko Takehara: Opening Demo 1, Opening Demo 2, Title, Opening Stage, Password, Stage Select, Boss Appearance, Burstman, Cloudman, Junkman, Museum, Springman, Slashman, Turboman, Shademan, 8 Big Boss, Stage Clear, Weapon Obtained, Wily Stage Map, Forte's Theme, Wily Stage 2, Wily Stage 3, Wily Stage 4, Wily Stage Boss, Wily Final Form, Message (Joyful), Message (Sad), All Stage Clear, Staff Roll, Big Eddy, Helmet, Blues' Whistle, Shademan Appearance (Alternate), Shademan (Alternate)---->Same structure and instruments (Key instrument: The "vibes" from Slashman)

-Toshihiko Horiyama: Wily Stage 1 ---> Bass line (Most likely Toshihiko's due to similarities found in many Rockman & Forte tracks)

-Makoto Tomozawa: Freezeman (Melody and structure reminds me of Dash 2's Yosyonke Town)

-Kan: SE Only ----->Hiroshi Shimada (CONFIRMED); Alarm (?), Blues' Whistle (?)

-Apple Z: SE Only ----->Noriko Ando (CONFIRMED); Alarm (?), Blues' Whistle (?)

-More Rich: SE Only ----->Atsushi Mori (CONFIRMED); Alarm (?), Blues' Whistle (?)

-Narinari: SE Only ----->Nariyuki Nobuyama (CONFIRMED); Alarm (?), Blues' Whistle (?)

-Ippo Yamada: SE Only (CONFIRMED); Alarm (?), Blues' Whistle (?)

Source: SEMO Inti Creates Interview (http://www.squareenixmusic.com/featu...poyamada.shtml)

Also, bad tracks with this OST:
-Opening Demo 1 (ALL the sound effects - electricity crackling and photo flashes; also fades out before the first loop is complete)
-Opening Demo 2 (Fades out just a little too early)
-Opening Stage (Last segment before loop and loop [first segment again] are both completely missing) [Thanks Brad ]
-Freezeman (Crackling sound - Enemy?)
-Wily Stage 2 (Part of the intro is missing) [Thanks Kaleb.G ]
-Wily Stage Boss (Opening/Release sound about 5 seconds in)
-Wily Final Form (Life meter fill ala X2 Zero)
-Forte's Theme (Teleport in sound ala Scissors Shrimper Stage)
-Message (Joyful) and Message (Sad) (Text and other sounds ala X3 Opening)

Last edited by kyubihanyou; Oct 29, 2010 at 07:25 PM.
Old Feb 28, 2010, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Agreed with Yuko composing Opening Demo 1... because: Its basically a reprise of music she originally composed not too long ago.
Agreed. Opening Demo has to be Yuko, it's only a stone's throw away from "My Home Sweet Home" from Breath of Fire II. If you've heard both soundtracks the connection is right in your face. It's a lot like the "Falling Green" (BOFIII) and "Secret of the Forest" (CT) connection.

Funny thing is, I rented Mega Man 7 and BOFII about a week apart from one another from the same video store a long time ago; I didn't make the connection then however. MM7 is still an evil game as well.

Quote:
-Freezeman (Crackling sound - Enemy?)
That's my guess, I think the first enemy is a True Shield Attacker or Icicle Teku.

Quote:
-Message (Joyful) (Text and other sounds ala X3 Opening)
This one ticks me off.

Quote:
-VS Forte (Teleport in sound ala Scissors Shrimper Stage)
Ironically, the beam in sound doesn't really bother me on this one; it kind of goes with the track. I'll go easy on them for this one.

Also, you're missing one bad track: "Opening Stage." This one is a travesty. In stead of the track going abcd, bcd, etc. the track goes abc, bc, etc. the final "d" segment is completely absent. They did a great job of trying to hide it but they didn't fool me:

"Even though the renegade sound effects take a hiatus of sorts at this point, related problems take a stab at handicapping wonderful tracks like "Opening Stage". Seriously, the treatment this track receives is a lot like blurting out "what the hell happened?" in shock the first time you see a loved one using crutches after an injury. Ironically, injury is the best way to describe the complete absence of the latter half of one of the game's most entertaining and prominent compositions. This is only made worse by the fact how well the track works despite its disembowelment; if it wasn't so nauseating it would almost be laughable."

Last edited by Brad Evans; Feb 28, 2010 at 03:34 PM.
Old Mar 4, 2010, 08:12 PM

does the opening riff (and accompanying percussion) to wily stage 2 sound a lot like jackson's thriller to anyone else?
Old Mar 4, 2010, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sporky View Post
does the opening riff (and accompanying percussion) to wily stage 2 sound a lot like jackson's thriller to anyone else?
Percussion: definitely
Riff: not so much, but Marble Garden Zone [like so many other Sonic 3/MJ connections] sure does
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EkpJsMyYveg

Last edited by kyubihanyou; Apr 3, 2010 at 10:49 AM.
Old Mar 6, 2010, 05:18 PM

yeah, I guess you are right. "similar" would be a better qualifier.
Old Mar 11, 2010, 11:44 PM

Does anyone hate the track titles on this disc (and Mega Man 8) as much as I do? I don't mean the translation, but the fact there is no cordination between them and soundtracks in the 1~6 box. Additionally, a retarded monkey could but them in a better order as well.
Old Mar 12, 2010, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jormungand View Post
Not quite. Those tracks are actually from Ghosts n Goblins (the original game from 1985). Its customary for the music in those games to use variations on those themes, but they were not original to Super Ghouls n Ghosts. They were composed by Ayako Mori.
Old Mar 23, 2010, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Evans View Post
Does anyone hate the track titles on this disc (and Mega Man 8) as much as I do? I don't mean the translation, but the fact there is no cordination between them and soundtracks in the 1~6 box. Additionally, a retarded monkey could but them in a better order as well.
I sure do. In fact, I hate how halfassed the entire lineup of RM1-8 and X1-3 OSTs (X4-6 and X3Arr were good enough) turned out. Only now with RM9-10 they're getting back on track with quality releases.
Old Mar 31, 2010, 06:04 PM

Inti confirmed the three composers in an interview for SEMO (will be published in a week or two). The rest are sound designers. I have a long list of their real names, though don't know how to correspond to the pseudonyms.
Old Apr 1, 2010, 07:30 PM

Niiiiiice.

EDIT: So Krsk WAS Toshihiko Horiyama, eh...

Man I'm good at what I do.

Last edited by kyubihanyou; Apr 2, 2010 at 08:51 PM.
Old Apr 2, 2010, 03:49 PM
VGMdb Administrator

I've delinked all the old artists. Thanks for confirming the composers.
Old Apr 2, 2010, 10:36 PM

Awesome, it'l be nice to not have such a clogged composer field.
Old Apr 3, 2010, 05:37 AM

Woah, good work Chris! So it's just 3/5 of the MMX1 team, very interesting.

My ID3 tags thank you.
Old Jul 18, 2010, 09:52 PM
VGMdb Advisor
VGM Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by sporky View Post
Well, one thing I noticed about Wily stage 2 is that the OST version starts about a measure or so later than the in-game version. It's a subtle difference, but it's another item to add to the list.

Also, some of the shorter tracks loop way too long. The stage select theme is the worst offender, with the password theme as the runner up.

The sound effects and other imperfections are a sad event, because the soundtrack at its core really shines. Of course one can always help themselves to a game rip or the SPC set to hear the music as it was originally intended.

Last edited by Kaleb.G; Jul 18, 2010 at 09:55 PM.
Old Jul 19, 2010, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaleb.G View Post
Also, some of the shorter tracks loop way too long. The stage select theme is the worst offender, with the password theme as the runner up.
The sloppy looping is very damaging in my opinion and the super-long fades don't help either. Again, some more cordnation between these soundtracks (7&8) and the box would have been awesome, but that apparently was asking too much. The Japanese almost always put out products that blow my mind in presentation but these do not. The blue on blue coloring on the face of the Rockman 7 disc prooves that - contrast people, contrast!

Still, buyer beware. All of these problems came to light even before the CD was released when samples were posted and I still bought it. Who's the sucker here? Yeah, who a true blue sucker.

Also, the recording volume on the soundtrack is a little higher than the SPC rip, but everything else considered, the game rip is the way to go.
Old Oct 19, 2010, 02:07 AM
VGMdb Administrator

What is the source of the credits for the Sound Effects, and are these edits correct:

Old
Sound Effects:
Tatsuya Nishimura (T."Anie".N)
Akira Shimada (Kan)
Tomoko Andou (Apple Z)
Seishi Shinzan (More Rich)
Atsushi Noriyuki (Narinari)
Ippo Yamada (Ippo)

New
Hiroshi Shimada (Kan)
Noriko Ando (Apple Z)
Atsushi Mori (More Rich)
Nariyuki Nobuyama (Narinari)
Ippo Yamada (Ippo)
Old Oct 21, 2010, 12:37 AM

I can tell you what all Yuko most definitley did.

Junkman, Burstman, Shademan, Slashman(confirmed), Wily Stage 1(not sure but it puts me in mind of Marvel Superheroes vs Street Fighter, which yuko also worked on), Wily Stage 3, Wily Stage 4, Final Boss, A Hero Returns(Ending Theme), Shademan Alternate(despite being a remix, it still has those yuko beats and that five cymbal crash), Opening Demo.

Remember, as i have said, if yuko works on a song, one big giant thing to look out for is that Five Cymbal Crash following a usually energetic beat with the hats being constantly tapped, though keep in mind she doesn't always use this, just a lot!
Old Oct 21, 2010, 09:49 AM

Want to take this opportunity to confirm "A Fated Confrontation!" is an unofficial translation since this game was localized as just Mega Man 7. I have the same questions about subsequent Rockman albums.
Old Oct 21, 2010, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secret Squirrel View Post
What is the source of the credits for the Sound Effects, and are these edits correct:

Old
Sound Effects:
Akira Shimada (Kan)
Tomoko Andou (Apple Z)
Seishi Shinzan (More Rich)
Atsushi Noriyuki (Narinari)
Ippo Yamada (Ippo)

New
Hiroshi Shimada (Kan)
Noriko Ando (Apple Z)
Atsushi Mori (More Rich)
Nariyuki Nobuyama (Narinari)
Ippo Yamada (Ippo)
This:
http://squareenixmusic.com/features/...poyamada.shtml
Old Oct 21, 2010, 08:58 PM

Cool

Nice find.

Also, i would really love to see an interview with Yuko Takehara sometime somewhere soon, there's so much i want to be clarified from her side of involvement. *winks at someone hard about fifty times before having an aneurysm LOL*
Old Oct 22, 2010, 05:37 AM
VGMdb Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnX View Post
Thanks for providing the confirmation.
Old Nov 10, 2010, 05:21 PM

My guesses:

IMO the same person composed Burstman, Junkman, Slashman, Shademan, Dr. Wily 3 & Dr. Wily 4. I'm tempted to say Takehara since they share the same simplicity she tends to exude. I've also noticed that she loves to use a certain chord modulation... I wish I was up on my chord theory, but like when you're in a Bm key and you use an F# major.

Same person wrote Cloudman, Freezeman, Springman & Turboman. There's parts of these melodies that share a certain modulating flare. Not sure how to explain it with theory.

Not sure about the rest. Opening 1 & 2 + Message (Sad) all sound alike as well. They are also pretty much the worst tunes I've heard from Capcom ever.
Old Nov 12, 2010, 11:22 PM

Here is what i think on what Takehara did here, and i would probably go to the point of stating it as fact because the evidence is overwhelming. Also, i recognize her style very well and notice certain specks about her work. And i will back it up by comparing it to confirmed songs from her.

Junkman

The beginning has a very similar melody to the one found at 0:18 in rose's theme, a confirmed Yuko song(interestingly, Ryu's MSH vs SF theme also has a part with a similar melody, which yuko also worked on). Even a few other parts in the beginning resemble Rose's theme in some ways. I picked this up being a Yuko song even when i very first heard it, why? Well, it also put me in mind of Mighty Final Fight and Breath of Fire II, which yuko also worked on. It also has that Trademark "Five Cymbal Crash" found in almost every game Yuko has had her hands on, like Breath of Fire II, X-Men vs Street Fighter, Marvel vs Capcom. etc I have yet to hear it found in a game she hasn't had any involvement in. Also, listen to some of the battle themes in BoFII, you'll hear it has the same if not very similar beat to it.

Wily Stage 3 and 4

Simply because they share many distinctive similarities with Junkman's theme(i made an assumption that Junkman's theme was intended to be the theme for Wily Stage 2 at one point, but then they changed their minds and decided it fit Junkman's stage better for some reason and added some other song here if they didn't bar his original theme, and wily stage 3 and 4 were variations to fit the new stage/situation considering that 4 builds off of 3 and 3 builds off of junkman, just an assumption)

Burstman

Has the Five Cymbal Crash and it has backing similar to Wily Stage 3.

Wily Stage 1

It shares similarities with Cyclops' theme from Marvel Super Heroes vs Street Fighter, which yuko not only worked on, but many other observations point to that song being yuko's, it has the same if not very similar percussion as Slashman's theme, a confirmed yuko song.

Shademan

Five Cymbal Crash, Yuko style beats and percussion. Also shares various similarities with Certain Breath of Fire 2 songs, namely "Our Journey" and "Please God" and even has that BoF2 feeling to it in some ways, much like many of the others mentioned previously.

Final Battle

It sort of sounds like the boss theme fight to Mighty Final Fight, mainly the backing, also has the percussions she likes to use.

A Hero Returns

Has some similarities to Nash's theme from SFZ1, and some elements are shared with the backing to Slashman's theme. It also sort of puts me in mind of Double Dragon in some parts, which Yuko's music sometimes does with me(Wily Stage 3 specifically)

These are my reasons, you may agree or disagree, but this is why i think these are her's, to the point that i will pay you people money if it turns out someone else made them.

Junkman's Theme

Wily Stage 3
Wily Stage 4
Wily Stage 1
Shademan
Final Battle
A Hero Returns
Rose Theme
I'll Do it BOF2
Cross Counter BoF2
A Crisis
Wolverine Theme MvC
Cammy XvS
Marvel Superheroes vs Street Fighter Cyclops Theme
Ryu MSHvSF
Our Journey BoF2
Please God BoF2
Mighty Final Fight Boss Theme
Slashman Theme
Nash Theme

Last edited by HarukameiKasumo; Nov 12, 2010 at 11:40 PM.
Old Jan 23, 2012, 09:40 PM
VGMdb Administrator

The information about Tomozawa's compositions I just added comes from Twitter:

Quote:
nextf: I think Megaman7.

OKeijiDragon: Ah yes, that game with Forte in it. Which tracks did you compose for that game? My favorites are the Wily Stage themes.

nextf: On 7,I compose OP stage,Boss battle,Weapon get,Forte's theme,Wily1&2,StaffRoll music.
Old Feb 28, 2024, 01:35 PM

Yuko Takehara: Opening Demo 1, Stage Select, Junkman, Burstman, Slashman, Shademan, Wily Stage Map, Wily Stage 3, Wily Stage 4, Wily Final Form, Stage Clear, All Stage Clear, Shademan Appearance (Alternate) and Shademan Stage (Alternate)

Last edited by topspin; Feb 29, 2024 at 12:51 PM.