VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Aug 2, 2015, 09:12 AM
VGMdb Staff
VGM Artist

Woot, remastered soundtrack directly from the arcade board!

The project is far from being completed...
I assume there will be 2 cds as they say "double album".
Also assuming there will be music from Super Street Fighter II Turbo, because they mention the CPS-2 system.
Old Nov 10, 2015, 12:33 PM

Bleh, still no SuperNes version, the best version.
Old Nov 10, 2015, 01:33 PM
VGMdb Staff

they miss the CPS1 version of the Turbo new character available in Hyper Edition
Old Nov 20, 2015, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by depa View Post
they miss the CPS1 version of the Turbo new character available in Hyper Edition
Can you elaborate? If you're referring to "Here Comes a New Challenger (CPS1)," it's Disc 1, Track 45. These are ripped directly from the arcade board of SFII, so if you're referring to the Hyper Street Fighter II console --> arcade release, that's not the version that was used.
Old Nov 21, 2015, 06:29 AM

I think he meant the CPS1 versions of the new challenger's themes from Hyper Street Fighter II: The Anniversary Edition. Although it was released in arcades, Hyper was first developed as a console game. I wonder if that factors into things.
Old Nov 21, 2015, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gieflos View Post
I think he meant the CPS1 versions of the new challenger's themes from Hyper Street Fighter II: The Anniversary Edition. Although it was released in arcades, Hyper was first developed as a console game. I wonder if that factors into things.
Those CPS1 versions of The New Challengers' themes were originally in the 1994 Sharp X68000 version of the game, arranged by Syun Nishigaki. So they were actually never natively on a CPS1 board.
Old Nov 21, 2015, 07:46 PM

----------

Last edited by Robert_Chrystian; Nov 22, 2015 at 07:26 AM. Reason: Forwarded to the other reply
Old Nov 21, 2015, 11:46 PM

The signed edition is signed by whom? Can't find the info on their website...
Old Nov 22, 2015, 01:08 AM
Trusted Editor

It will be signed by Yoko Shimomura.

http://www.bravewave.net/genseries/0...eid=6167991197
Old Nov 22, 2015, 07:23 AM

I have some questions. The first one is already made, but I'll repeat here:

1. Shouldn't this have three entries: CD, vinyl and digital? Each one is selling individually, so they should be individual. Also, the CD and digital versions should be child albums (reprints). Why is this "3 CD + Digital + Vinyl"? And then, which one should be main one?

2. Which games does this represents? I've got he pre-order digital version, and it mention at least three versions (The World Warrior, Turbo and The New Challengers), and I see only two mentioned here.

3. The name "Street Fighter II: The Definitive Soundtrack" is only on the FAQ section of the site. On every other place (including the album name on the digital pre-order tags and the album front cover), it's "Street Fighter II The Definitive Soundtrack".

Here is the pre-order digital version tags and songs. It also has a front cover that I'm putting as front n this and the vinyl one right now.

Old Nov 22, 2015, 08:17 AM
VGMdb Staff
VGM Artist

1) This release should have 2 entries:
- One for CDs
- One for Vinyls

Digital releases if they are 100% identical to any physical release, are not added to the database, a note with "digital format available" is enough.

2) Yeah there's a missing version, i'll add it now.
For infos there are 5 arcade versions of the game.
[CPS-1]
- Street Fighter II: The World Warrior (original game)
- Street Fighter II': Champion Edition (you could play bosses)
- Street Fighter II' Turbo: Hyper Fighting (new moves, more speed)
[CPS-2]
- Super Street Fighter II: The New Challengers (4 new chars)
- Super Street Fighter II Turbo (new moves)

3) I'll change the title too.. that's not a big deal.
Old Nov 22, 2015, 11:22 AM

Thank you, Myrkul. I added the pre-order's bigger front cover file to the two entries. Also added information about the digital format to both and about the signed version to vinyl version's notes. The sale website says that digital format releases on Nov 24th, but that the CD version only ships on (or around) Dec 12th. Which date is the right one? Same to vinyl, shipping on Mar 31th. Hope I'm not bothering you guys with those questions.

Thanks in advance.
Old Nov 23, 2015, 09:29 AM
VGMdb Advisor

The different versions are being released at different times, according to all information I have read. The dates you have are technically correct, but it appears that the digital version has been released today, Nov. 23.

http://kotaku.com/the-perfect-street...ack-1744084443
Old Nov 23, 2015, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eriol View Post
The different versions are being released at different times, according to all information I have read. The dates you have are technically correct, but it appears that the digital version has been released today, Nov. 23.

http://kotaku.com/the-perfect-street...ack-1744084443
Well, it was released at 00:00 of November 24th in JST (Japan Standart Time), about 4 hours ago. Only the digital version is out, so you think it's roght to put Nov 24th as the release date?

I've already downloaded it, so I'm adding the tracks length now.

EDIT: Edited the tracks length according to the digital version (and fixed a track name), edited the dates to those I said previously, since everything seems to be right; and edited the notes, talking about the digital format. The tracklist to the vinyl one isn't the same to the digital, so I left the lengths blank, but put the digital information in the notes, since all its tracks are contained in the digital release.

Last edited by Robert_Chrystian; Nov 23, 2015 at 12:01 PM.
Old Nov 23, 2015, 11:58 AM
VGMdb Staff

Usual digital storefronts have Nov. 24th as the date. That seems like the correct date but only for the digital version. CDs could actually use the shipping date, vinyls too.

The digital version being the first one available can (perhaps) have its own entry here (as an exception to the 'no identical digital' rule as it was the deal with some albums in the past that got a digital-only release first).
Old Nov 23, 2015, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efendija View Post
Usual digital storefronts have Nov. 24th as the date. That seems like the correct date but only for the digital version. CDs could actually use the shipping date, vinyls too.

The digital version being the first one available can (perhaps) have its own entry here (as an exception to the 'no identical digital' rule as it was the deal with some albums in the past that got a digital-only release first).
That's what I said, I think it fits in this case. Make everything flows more correctly. Will you put the CD and vinyl ones as reprints, or how will it work?
Old Nov 23, 2015, 12:14 PM
VGMdb Staff

Master release is usually the one available first (following the simple release date order). Vinyl version can't be a reprint in any case because it doesn't have the identical total track count.
Old Nov 24, 2015, 04:23 PM
Trusted Editor

So, about composer breakdown, according to notes Shimomura did compose and arrange disc 1 by herself.

Then taken from other SF II sources Syun Nishigaki did Cammy's Theme and Fei Long's Theme (disc 2-14,15 disc 3-15,16). Any info/idea if he did the endings too for those two (disc 2-34,35). And Isao Abe did Versus -CPS-2-, Dee Jay's Theme, T. Hawk's Theme and Sagat's Theme (disc 2-5,16,17,20, disc 3-17,18,21). And same as with Nishigaki, any info/idea he did the endings for those 3 chars (disc 2-36,37,40).

Did Shimomura do the rest off the stuff on disc 2 and 3?
Old Nov 25, 2015, 01:42 AM
VGMdb Staff

Sagat & Versus theme CPSI wasn't Abe's work?
Old Nov 25, 2015, 03:46 AM
VGMdb Staff

The notes are only copypasta from Brave Wave's Bandcamp page (for now). May not be fully accurate.
Old Nov 26, 2015, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razakin View Post
So, about composer breakdown, according to notes Shimomura did compose and arrange disc 1 by herself.
Shimomura has confirmed in the past that Isao Abe composed "Versus Screen", "Sagat's Theme", and "Here Comes a New Challenger" (so tracks 3, 14, and 45 on Disc 1).
Old Nov 26, 2015, 01:15 PM
Trusted Editor

To be honest, I'm not sure I'd trust their liner notes either. There's way too much exploratory composer discovery for me to consider it valid unless they come out and say they worked with Capcom specifically on composer identification. I don't put much faith in individual composer memory of things they did over 20 years ago, either.
Old Dec 1, 2015, 01:36 AM
VGMdb Staff

I've put up an edit on the digital and vinyl versions of the soundtrack (cannot edit the composer field of the CD release for some reason) to include Felix Mendelssohn as a composer seeing as how 'Ken's Ending 2' is a straight rendition of the Wedding March from 'A Midsummer Night's Dream'. He was listed in the booklet on a previous album so thought he should be listed in blue on these albums also.

Last edited by Jimby; Dec 1, 2015 at 03:48 AM.
Old Dec 16, 2015, 02:58 PM
Trusted Editor

DEATH TO UNICODE APOSTROPHE

I realize that these were taken from the tags from the downloadable version, but no. no.
Old Dec 16, 2015, 03:35 PM

Which release date are we going with here? The December 12th release date was just an estimate by Brave Wave, that proved quite accurate. The album was actually sent out on December 11th.
Old Dec 23, 2015, 01:03 AM

Am I the only one who's annoyed by the way they changed the names of M. Bison, Balrog and Vega to how they were known here in the west? Very curious decision for an apparently Japanese release. Not to mention it contrasts sharply with the album from ~20 years ago. Then again, the booklet is in English, which prompts me to assume the album was directed towards western consumers. Still, an interesting case.
Old Dec 23, 2015, 03:46 AM
Trusted Editor

Brave Wave is based in Japan yes, but their about page states that "the label is known for bridging the gap between Western and Japanese creators". So it makes sense that they went with the international names, if you look at it that way.
Old Dec 23, 2015, 05:44 AM
Trusted Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jousto View Post
Am I the only one who's annoyed by the way they changed the names of M. Bison, Balrog and Vega to how they were known here in the west? Very curious decision for an apparently Japanese release. Not to mention it contrasts sharply with the album from ~20 years ago. Then again, the booklet is in English, which prompts me to assume the album was directed towards western consumers. Still, an interesting case.
I honestly never knew there was a difference until I was researching what to call 四天王 and found out they were called "Grand Masters" in English. It wasn't until then I realized the names were swapped around.
Old Dec 23, 2015, 06:07 AM
VGMdb Staff

Well Shimomura confirms in the booklet interview the 3 themes composed by Abe. Unfortunately no individual track arrangement and new composition infos for CPS2 themes
Old Jun 7, 2016, 01:31 PM

Street Fighter had one of the best soundtracks ever. My favorite is the one on Chun Li's hometown. I believe I heard it on Daigo's final epic championship youtube video. It was AWESOME! It uses a 4 by 4 beat. Don't worry, you don't have to know calculus to understand it

Last edited by eqitplease; Nov 21, 2017 at 12:11 AM.