VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Miscellaneous Discussion
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Aug 20, 2022, 07:31 PM

Default Buying from Suruga-ya

Has anybody bought from suruga-ya.jp?
There's something used and "expensive" I'd like to buy, but stock photos make me want to run away. Same reason why I have never bought anything used from Amazon or similar sites that provide no photo.
There's even no description or content list, just a tracklist.
Since it's a boxset with several discs, I need to know if obis, reg cards are included, as well as any damage or sunfade.
Seems like there's NO way to get those information, just blind buy and hope for the best.
Old Aug 20, 2022, 07:52 PM
Trusted Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuxKiller65 View Post
Seems like there's NO way to get those information, just blind buy and hope for the best.
You've said it right sir, this is absolutely the case and there's really no other way around it. No idea what it is you're getting.
Especially frustrating when it comes to older content I'm usually seeking.
Old Aug 21, 2022, 02:11 AM
Trusted Editor

I have bought CDs or cassette tapes on Suruga-ya several times, and the items are almost always in excellent condition (at least good used condition). So I've always been satisfied with my purchases on this site, and when there are rare CDs only on this site, I don't hesitate to take them. Afterwards, if you absolutely want the Obi, or the cards and stickers originally included in the album, it's better to avoid going through this site or you will be disappointed. Likewise for large collector's items with several discs, it's better to have photos of the product and therefore not to buy it on Suruga-ya in my opinion.
Old Aug 21, 2022, 03:13 AM
Trusted Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintSquall View Post
Likewise for large collector's items with several discs, it's better to have photos of the product and therefore not to buy it on Suruga-ya in my opinion.
Everything seems to have been included when I bought a "large collector's item" (that being the Raijin-Oh Galactica CD BOX) for $100+, but some of the box despite how wrapped it was had some damage to the surface.
Don't know if it's because it's from 1994 or something but I'd expect better considering the price of it and how rare it is.
Old Aug 21, 2022, 06:06 AM
Trusted Editor

Often collector's items have fragile cardboard boxes, so that's why it's better to have pictures.
Old Aug 21, 2022, 05:25 PM

Yeah the problem is sometimes there's something you have been looking for a long time, it's expensive and all you get is either a single stock photo, or a single photo of the outer box wrap in a plastic bag, where you have no idea if everything's really included.

I understand these stores have tons of items, so it's not feasible to have 10 photos for each item, but I wonder if they even check for all parts and for conspicuous damages. I'm still on the fence.

I guess you have to expect the worst, to avoid being disappointed. And make sure you are able to resell at the same price you bought, which is a big question mark if you end up with some heavy scratches, or a sunfaded side, or some pen mark in the manual...
Old Aug 24, 2022, 06:22 PM

I have bought from Suruga-ya several times. CDs will include the case and the booklet unless otherwise noted, but obi and registration card can be missing. Condition has been good always, unless otherwise noted in the item description. Their packaging can be a bit dangerous sometimes in my opinion. Got a slightly cracked case once. But otherwise they are great, if you don't care about obis and registration cards.

I actually wasn't sure if missing obis is normal or not, so I emailed Suruga-ya once and said that my CD is missing the obi and asked if they could send me the obi, if they have it in stock. They replied that they don't include information about obi in descriptions and can't guarantee that it will be included. They also gave a link to their used item policy, which actually explains that and more:

https://www.suruga-ya.jp/man/custome...em_policy.html

That policy page also says for example that sleeve cases might not be included. But in my experience a CD with a sleeve case will be listed as "first print" (初回盤) and one without a sleeve will be listed as "normal print" (通常盤), even though VGMdb won't have them as separate entries (for example Bravely Default and FF IV Remaster). This probably only applies to CDs, where sleeve cases are limited to the first X amount of copies.

Generally I have really enjoyed shopping from Suruga-ya, but lately I've been concerned about missing obis from albums I really love. So now I'm hesitant to buy from Suruga-ya... On the other hand, two albums from Yahoo Auctions have smelled like cigarettes, which I dislike... Buying used CDs can be a hassle if you care about the condition and want it complete.
Old Oct 1, 2022, 08:18 AM

Buying from suruga-ya is definitely a crapshoot. Occasionally, the album will be in excellent condition with obi. I actually got a complete Tecmo Game Music and a complete 3D Hot Rally buying this way, both in excellent condition.

However, most of the time the album will be missing the extras with condition being variable (sometimes excellent but sometimes only fair).

I would say that albums are always in re-sellable condition at a minimum, and so if you buy for the same amount that an average-condition copy would go for, typically that's pretty safe and you might make a big score (if it includes the extras).
Old Nov 7, 2022, 02:55 AM

I have bought from them different kinds of items over the years. Old PC-98 games, booklets, cards, music CDs. Most of the time they are in a good state, with paper items usually being the best. CDs and cases can be a different matter. Like, one case + game was in an utterly disgusting state, with coffee stains and dirt being there...I didn't want to touch it. Mold can be an issue as well, since it's Japan after all.
As for having all the stuff (registration card, manual etc), it's simply hit and miss.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinHarmony View Post
Their packaging can be a bit dangerous sometimes in my opinion. Got a slightly cracked case once. But otherwise they are great, if you don't care about obis and registration cards.
Is it their packaging? I always buy through proxy services, so all I ever see is them putting the items in some thin plastic wrap to keep away dirt and the like which I really appreciate. The other forms of protection then come from the proxy service where it depends.

Quote:
Same reason why I have never bought anything used from Amazon or similar sites that provide no photo.
I've only ever bought new items off Amazon.jp and it's also hit and miss since the shrinkwrap can be in a bad state or it can be dented etc. Bought a Shenmue II copy many years ago for too much money and the shrinkwrap was in an atrocious state and it stank of smoke. And since that was "new", I shudder to think was "used" items can be like. I also don't think Amazon.jp have any quality control of third-party items unlike Suruga-ya which actually buy the items off people. That's why I would always trust them over Amazon.jp. Of course, Yahoo Auctions, Mercari and the like with pictures are the best.
Old Apr 9, 2023, 04:45 AM

has anybody bought from 1983 ?

https://shop.1983.jp/shop/shop.cgi?mode=howto&order=

they keep coming up on google and have a large selection of game ost.

their shipping fee is reasonable too
Old Apr 9, 2023, 06:07 AM

Quote:
has anybody bought from 1983 ?

https://shop.1983.jp/shop/shop.cgi?mode=howto&order=

they keep coming up on google and have a large selection of game ost.

their shipping fee is reasonable too
Do they have old used OSTs, or just modern new ones?
Old Apr 9, 2023, 04:24 PM

I *think* they only sell brand new soundtracks, though they may have stock of stuff that's out of stock elsewhere.
Old Apr 10, 2023, 02:55 AM

As far as I know they only sell new soundtracks. In store, they had a lot of "new old" stock though.
Old May 2, 2023, 11:28 AM

Late reply here but I have bought from suruga-ya a lot. If I see something I want listed, I buy it. I have never had any issues but I understand the feeling when it's just a stock photo, you have no idea what condition is really is in!

I usually use a proxy service like Japan Rabbit and if for some reason it came to me in horrible condition, I'd request a refund through the proxy service. If that doesn't work, I go to paypal or my credit card company. I've only ever needed to get a refund like once but it went fine. Just know you can do that. They'll want photos and your side of the story but if the product is bad, it'll speak for itself.

I say buy without worry.
Old Jun 1, 2023, 05:29 PM

Not really related to the thread, but I see this regularly now. People buying from different Japanese websites and immediately reselling on Yahoo.

See this one, Mandarake was nice enough to zoom in on the crack on the front. Reseller didn't even bother, and it's hard to see unless you're looking for it in his photo.

I have nothing against reselling, but when it's done for 18,000 yen, you could take a photo of the left/right spine and point out the crack with a photo. (i know it's mentioned in the description)

https://order.mandarake.co.jp/order/...ode=1228604454

https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/1094045792
Old Feb 26, 2024, 07:47 PM

Again, not related to the thread, but I keep receiving stuff from Yahoo Japan Auctions with sunfaded spines, or at least one sunfaded spine. It's getting ridiculous, like 1 out of 3 albums or even more. I know, I should ask questions, but it's real tedious with an agent, and most of the time when I ask them to ask, they seem to get no answer.

This is really putting me off from buying stuff, whenever there is no spine photo at all.

I understand some albums are old and most likely HAVE sunfaded spines, I just wish sellers would mention it or show a photo.
Old Feb 28, 2024, 06:14 AM

Quote:
I know, I should ask questions, but it's real tedious with an agent, and most of the time when I ask them to ask, they seem to get no answer.

This is really putting me off from buying stuff, whenever there is no spine photo at all.

I understand some albums are old and most likely HAVE sunfaded spines, I just wish sellers would mention it or show a photo.
Always ask your proxy service to inquire about it. Some are better at it, some are worse. Unfortunately though, with imports from Japan picking up, the service staff has less and less time and it takes longer.
Mercari is generally best when it comes to seller communication, as there are a lot of amateur sellers on it who have no problem providing more pictures, combining items, lowering the price etc. YA can be tricky and it's more of a hit-or-miss thing. Never tried it with Suruga-ya but was tempted to very recently, as there was a "used" CD with a description that read "unused" (which means still sealed to me at least). But since it is a rather rare CD (event-only), I made sure to buy it before someone else does instead. It should arrive tomorrow, so I will see how the condition is then.