VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Animation Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Aug 15, 2014, 06:01 AM
VGMdb Administrator

Well, more standards wouldn't hurt that's for sure.

As for someone else changing it... it's hard to revert a change when there's no guideline about it. I think that a clear guideline would be more useful than having a way to lock something from being changed.

I will take a look at this later today and try to match them to the scans, as well as reverting those time changes (I can't now since I'm on my phone).
Old Aug 15, 2014, 10:41 AM
VGMdb Administrator

Done. Took a look at the corresponding soundtracks too since the tracklists were kind of a mess.
I've also reverted the english tracklists edited by JTurner back to their previous translations while fixing the styling and submitted the localized tracklists as separate ones (while verifying them, many thanks to Efendija who found the scans in the other thread).
I didn't want to make a post in every of those threads so I'm posting all of them here.

Spoiler:

Nausicaä Album:
Removed を from track 04, I can't see it in any scan
Changed the first and last track suffix to -オープニング-and -エンディング- to match the original print disc. Later reprints use 〜オープニング〜 and 〜エンディング〜, but I think the only way to fix their tracklists is to submit the 3 tracklists for each of the reprints.
Localized tracklist verified here

Disc 2 (Laputa) / Album:
Fixed punctuation

Disc 3 (Totoro) / Album:
Fixed punctuation in this album and added (with Chorus) to the last track in the english tracklist.

Disc 4 (Kiki) / Album:
Changed ・・・/… to ⋯

Disc 5 (Porco Rosso):
Fixed the tracklist, track 9 was duplicated and track 23 was missing.
Album:
Changed ー to -
Didn't revert the tracklist here since it was just taken from nausicaa.net, I think.

Disc 6 (Mononoke):
I've tried using the character we posted about but it doesn't work, so I've changed track 1/33 back to セッ記.
Album:
Added a space before タタラうた on track 12 and before バージョン on track 18.
Slightly edited the english tracklist to match the japanese styling.

Disc 7 (Chihiro): Changed 6 to 6.

Disc 9 (Howl): Small punctuation fixes
Album: Removed ~ at the end of track 15.

Disc 10 (Ponyo): Just some punctuation fixes

Disc 11 (La Folia): Changed numbers to ascii

Disc 12 (Kaze Tachinu): Punctuation fixes
Album: Removed the spaces before the parentheses in the japanese tracklist.

Feel free to discuss any of the changes and let me know if I missed something or I got something wrong.

Also ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by nextday View Post
I assume you're going to add notes for this at some point?
Is anyone already planning to add the notes?

Last edited by Illidan; Aug 15, 2014 at 11:53 AM.
Old Aug 15, 2014, 10:51 AM
Trusted Editor

I was planning on adding notes once we sorted this out and once BoneSatyr got his scans up because I didn't want to ruin the binding on my book by keeping it open all the time to reference back-and-forth if I had to do any kanji rebuilding. Briefly looking over it, though, they follow the exact same print format as the previous albums.

Also worth noting, the Nausicaa album has a few variations of the opening/ending theme stylization. On I think this album and the original prints, it was:

"オープニング
「風の谷のナウシカ」"

As two lines.

I think later prints changed it to the variations you're seeing (風の谷のナウシカ 〜オープニング〜), although I haven't double checked all those. I think it might actually be a vinyl versus cd stylization difference and it would make sense since this version uses the vinyl as source for the inner package reprint.

*edit*

I can also dump a quick English tracklist into the database based on what I used when I ripped the albums, but I don't know if it holds up against the scrutiny we talked about here. I did make some changes to some of the track titles as I was finding issues with them and I didn't make all those changes to the database since some of them were just my personal preference.

Last edited by dancey; Aug 15, 2014 at 10:54 AM.
Old Aug 15, 2014, 11:05 AM
VGMdb Administrator

For Nausicaa I was looking at the first cd print and it's on two lines on the back, and one line with "--" on the disc.
Later prints all use "〜〜" (see here and here)
I'm not exactly sure how to handle this since I would like to avoid submitting 3 tracklist for every print, so any suggestion is welcome.

I didn't edit it in this album since there's no extra symbol.

Some of the non-localized tracklists are a bit too literal imo, so they could certainly use some work. If you want to submit them here we can discuss the changes and then apply them to the other albums too.
Old Aug 15, 2014, 11:14 AM
Trusted Editor

Yeah, I don't see the need for 3 different tracklists, just pointing out that that's one example. I forgot that the -...- came from the disc tracklist. I sold that album long ago (I forget why) so I've regrettably never been able to reference the physical copy. I probably never repurchased it because I have 3 copies at this point (Winds and Seeds, Ghibli ga Ippai and now this box).

Leaving it as "オープニング「風の谷のナウシカ」" seems fine to me. As a personal preference/note, I've always valued tracklists on the back of a cd as "more important" than ones printed on the disc. Namely because the tracklists printed on discs tend to suffer from physical space constraints (with the cd being round and all) and companies sometimes take shortcuts to make everything fit.
Old Aug 15, 2014, 11:35 AM
VGMdb Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancey View Post
Leaving it as "オープニング「風の谷のナウシカ」" seems fine to me. As a personal preference/note, I've always valued tracklists on the back of a cd as "more important" than ones printed on the disc. Namely because the tracklists printed on discs tend to suffer from physical space constraints (with the cd being round and all) and companies sometimes take shortcuts to make everything fit.
Fair point, I agree.

Oh, random thing I noticed now. Winds and Seeds romaji tracklist is missing track 11 in disc 1 I think, can you give it a check when you have time?
Old Aug 15, 2014, 11:51 AM
Trusted Editor

I've actually never input a romaji tracklist because I have no idea how to get the correct romaji readings from kanji (except using Google translate but that isn't always correct). I'm sure Phono was the one to do that as he usually handles romaji stuff and I assume it was just a copy/paste error.

I can fix it when I get home and double check everything.
Old Aug 15, 2014, 11:55 AM
Trusted Editor

Also worth noting, as I work with databases for work, it would be pretty easy to run scripts in the SQL database to identify albums for edit that have more than one tracklist that don't have the same total number of tracks. I don't have access to the database and I only know some of the table information from briefly working on something with the cddb script but someone should be able to do that and could create an actionable list of albums that someone could manually review, assuming that's something someone was interested in reviewing
Old Aug 15, 2014, 02:07 PM
Trusted Editor

Winds and Seeds fixed. Here is the English tracklist I used:

Opening "Nausicaä of the Valley of Wind"
Ohmu Stampede
The Valley of Wind
The Princess Who Loves Insects
Kushana's Invasion
Battle
Exchange with the Ohmu
In the Sea of Decay <-- This was changed to "Corruption" but I prefer "Decay". I vaguely remember posting in some Nausicaa thread that I used Corruption because the English subtitles on the JP Bluray said "Corruption". I don't know if that counts as "official" but I went with it.
Annihilation of Pejite
Battle Between Mehve and Corvette
Resurrection of the Giant Warrior
Nausicaä - Requiem
Ending "Bird Person"

The Girl Who Fell From the Sky
Morning in the Slag Ravine
A Fun Brawl (~Pursuit)
Memories of Gondoa
Discouraged Pazu
Robot Soldier (Resurrection ~ Rescue)
Chorus: Carrying You <-- Used a ':' as personal preference for the double space after the kanji
Sheeta's Decision
On the Tiger Moth
An Omen to Ruin
The Moonlit Sea of Clouds
Laputa the Castle in the Sky
The Collapse of Laputa
Carrying You

Stroll - Opening Theme Song
The Village in May
A Haunted House!
Mei and the Wandering Soot
Evening Wind
Not Afraid
Let's Go to the Hospital
Mother
A Little Creature
Totoro
The Huge Tree in the Tsuka Forest <-- This gets mistranslated as Tsukamori Forest which I believe is incorrect since "mori" is forest. I think it's just "Tsuka" forest. Not sure how it was translated in the movies, I haven't seen it in a while and didn't pay much attention to if they even named it.
A Lost Child
The Path of the Wind (Instrumental)
A Soaking Wet Creature
Moonlight Flight
Mei Is Missing <-- Note about "Is", it gets mistakenly lowercased a lot in tracklists but it's not a preposition, it's a verb so it should be capitalized.
Cat Bus
I'm So Glad
My Neighbor Totoro - Ending Theme Song
Stroll (With Chorus)

On a Clear Day...
Departure
A Town with an Ocean View
Flying Delivery Service
The Baker's Assistant
Starting the Job
Surrogate Jiji
Jeff
A Very Busy Kiki
Late for the Party
Osono's Request
A Propeller Driven Bicycle
I Can't Fly!
Heartbroken Kiki
To Ursula's Cabin
An Unusual Painting
The Spirit of Freedom, Out of Control
The Old Man's Push Broom
Rendezvous on the Push Broom
A Message Left in Lipstick
Wrapped in Gentleness

The Winds of Time -When a Human Can Be a Human-
MAMMAIUTO
Addio!
Bygone Days
A Photo in Sepia
Serbian March
Flying boatmen
Doom -Cloud Trap-
Porco e Bella
Fio-Seventeen
Women of Piccolo
Friend
Partner ship
Madness -Flight-
To the Adriatic Sea
In Search of the Distant Era
Love at First Sight in the Wilderness
At the End of the Summer
Lost Spirit -LOST SPIRIT- <-- I know a lot of tracklists don't double translate the kanji if it's put in English like that as the same meaning, but I prefer to.
Dog fight
Porco e Bella -Ending-
The Time of Cherries
Once in a While, Let's Talk About the Old Days

I ended up just using the official US print tracklist for this with the exception of the parenthetical tracks because I don't like how it doesn't differentiate between the two Princess Mononoke Theme Songs (20 and 32 on the US print). I just added (Instrumental Version), (Vocal), (Vocal Ending) and (End Credits).

The Legend of Ashitaka
The Demon God
Departure / To the West
Demon Power
The Land of the Impure
The Encounter
Kodamas
The Forest of the God
Evening at the Fireworks
The Demon God II / The Lost Mountain
Lady Eboshi
The Tatara Women Work Song
The Furies
Young Man from the East
Requiem
Will to Live
San and Ashitaka in the Forest of the Deer God
Princess Mononoke Theme Song (Instrumental Version)
Requiem II
Princess Mononoke Theme Song (Vocal)
Battle Drums
Battle in Front of the Ironworks
Demon Power II
Requiem III
Retreat
The Demon God III
Adagio of Life and Death
The World of the Dead
The World of the Dead II
Adagio of Life and Death II
Ashitaka and San
Princess Mononoke Theme Song (Vocal Ending)
The Legend of Ashitaka (End Credits)

Spirited Away has actually the least variety in tracklists among all the Ghibli stuff. The only thing I changed was I used God instead of Spirit because that's what I've always used but it really doesn't change the meaning that much.

One Summer's Day
A Road to Somewhere
The Empty Restaurant
Nighttime Coming
The Dragon Boy
Sootballs
Procession of the Gods
Yubaba
Bathhouse Morning
Day of the River
It's Hard Work
The Stink God
Sen's Courage
The Bottomless Pit
Kaonashi
The Sixth Station
Yubaba's Panic
The House at Swamp Bottom
Reprise
Return
Always With Me

This is straight English so nothing here

Prologue ~Flaptors Attack~
The Girl Who Fell from the Sky (Main Theme)
The Levitation Crystal
Morning in the Mining Village
Pazu's Fanfare
The Legend of Laputa
A Street Brawl
The Chase
Floating with the Crystal
Memories of Gondoa
Stones Glowing in the Darkness
Disheartened Pazu
Robot Soldiers ~Resurrection - Rescue~
Dola and the Pirates
Confessions in the Moonlight
The Dragon's Nest
The Lost Paradise
The Forgotten Robot Soldier
The Invasion of Goliath
Pazu Fights Back
The Final Showdown
The Destruction of Laputa (Choral Version)
The Eternal Tree of Life

I may have opted to use some of the "better sounding" nausicaa.net translations here, I forget. Their translations are admittedly pretty good it's just the formatting problems I mentioned before that I never agreed with.

-Opening- The Merry-go-round of Life
The Courageous Cavalry
Stroll Through the Sky
Heart Aflutter
The Witch of the Waste
Wandering Sophie
The Magical Door
The Indelible Curse
Spring Cleaning
To the Lake of Stars
Quiet Feelings
In the Rain
Vanity and Friendship
A 90 Year Old Young Girl
Sulliman's Magic Square ~ Return to the Castale
The Secret Cave
Moving
The Flower Garden
Run!
Now That's Love
Family
Love of War
Escape
Sophie's Castle
The Boy Who Drank Stars
-Ending- Promise of the World ~ The Merry-go-round of Life

Deep Sea Ranch
Mother of the Sea
Encounter
Ura Town
Kumiko
Ponyo and Sosuke
Empty Bucket
Flash Signal
I Become Human!
Fujimoto
Little Sisters
Ponyo's Flight <-- Changed this from "Flight of Ponyo" to "Ponyo's Flight" to fit the other kanjiのkanji translations below
The Sunflower House in the Storm
Ponyo's Fish Wave <-- I changed this to Ponyo's Fish Wave because of having a better understanding of the multiple の modifiers and seeing the movie I realized that this is the song that plays when he rides the wave of fishes back to town from out in the ocean, so it makes more sense.
Ponyo and Sosuke 2
Lisa's House
New Family
Ponyo's Lullaby
Lisa's Determination
Granmamare <-- I went back and forth on this, I really don't know how this is supposed to be officially translated. Supposedly, "mare" is Italian or something for "Ocean" so it could be "Granma Mare", like Grandma, and seeing that she's Ponyo's Grandmother, this makes sense, but everywhere I've seen it translated or localized has used "Gran Mamare" or "Granmamare". I don't know what Mamare is so I just left it as Granmamare.
Night of the Meteor
Hot-bulb Engine Ship
To the Sea of Dipnorhynchus
Fleet March
Baby and Ponyo
Fleet March 2
Sosuke's Voyage
Sosuke's Tears
Underwater Town
Mother's Love
Tunnel
Toki
Little Sisters' Activities
Song of Praise for Mother and the Sea
Finale
Ponyo on the Cliff by the Sea (Film Version)

Motif
Variation 1
Variation 2
Variation 3
Variation 4
Variation 5
End Tune

I used the US iTunes version despite my general disdain for egregious overuse of "A" and "The" in track titles (it just sounds and looks bad).

A Journey (A Dream of Flight)
A Shooting Star
Caproni (An Aeronautical Designer's Dream)
A Journey (A Decision)
Nahoko (The Encounter)
The Refuge
The Lifesaver
Caproni (A Phantom Giant Aircraft)
A Heart Aflutter
A Journey (Jiro's Sister)
A Journey (First Day at Work)
The Falcon Project
Falcon
Junkers
A Journey (Italian Winds)
A Journey (Caproni Retires)
A Journey (An Encounter at Karuizawa)
Nahoko (Her Destiny)
Nahoko (A Rainbow)
Castorp (The Magic Mountain)
The Wind
Paper Airplane
Nahoko (The Proposal)
Prototype 8
Castorp (A Separation)
Nahoko (I Miss You)
Nahoko (An Unexpected Meeting)
A Journey (The Wedding)
Nahoko (Together)
A Journey (A Parting)
A Journey (A Kingdom of Dreams)
Vapor Trail
I'll Be Alright
Old Aug 15, 2014, 02:13 PM
Trusted Editor

Another thing worth asking, I suppose, is on something like the Castle in the Sky tracklist, is it worth having a Japanese and an English tracklist when the only difference is the three Unicode ~ instead of ASCII ~?
Old Aug 16, 2014, 03:34 AM
VGMdb Administrator

Looks fine to me. Couple of things I would change:
Alter the Mononoke one a bit to match the japanese styling. Also the last track suffix should be (Ending), not (End Credits)
Typo in Howl track 15 (Return to the Castale).
Missing "..." for Kiki track 11 (Osono's Request)

Quote:
The Huge Tree in the Tsuka Forest <-- This gets mistranslated as Tsukamori Forest which I believe is incorrect since "mori" is forest. I think it's just "Tsuka" forest. Not sure how it was translated in the movies, I haven't seen it in a while and didn't pay much attention to if they even named it.
Tsukamori is the correct name for the place, so I suppose they just added Forest because it sounds better. The Huge Tree in Tsukamori would be the literal translation, I think.

Quote:
Granmamare <-- I went back and forth on this, I really don't know how this is supposed to be officially translated. Supposedly, "mare" is Italian or something for "Ocean" so it could be "Granma Mare", like Grandma, and seeing that she's Ponyo's Grandmother, this makes sense, but everywhere I've seen it translated or localized has used "Gran Mamare" or "Granmamare". I don't know what Mamare is so I just left it as Granmamare.
Mare is Italian for Sea, Ocean would be Oceano.
Gran is Italian for Big (shortened version of Grande), but in this case I have no clue what Mamare is supposed to mean... maybe Mama + Mare? Though it's true that most localizations use Gran Mamare, but I don't really know why.

Quote:
I used the US iTunes version despite my general disdain for egregious overuse of "A" and "The" in track titles (it just sounds and looks bad).
Ugh, it does really look bad. Since we're using a bunch of unofficial translations here, it shouldn't be a problem to change it a bit.
Old Aug 16, 2014, 10:40 AM
Trusted Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illidan View Post
Looks fine to me. Couple of things I would change:
Alter the Mononoke one a bit to match the japanese styling. Also the last track suffix should be (Ending), not (End Credits)
Typo in Howl track 15 (Return to the Castale).
Missing "..." for Kiki track 11 (Osono's Request)
I used the 33 print US tracklist for reference. The 32 track Milan one is missing the one Yoshikazu Mera vocal if I recall. http://vgmdb.net/album/19762 It's "end credit" on that one but I just camel cased it to not be weird.

Quote:
Ugh, it does really look bad. Since we're using a bunch of unofficial translations here, it shouldn't be a problem to change it a bit.
I mean, I'll leave it here because it's the iTunes version but just in general I prefer not to do that if I'm doing actual translations.
Old Aug 16, 2014, 11:29 AM
Trusted Editor

Album Info notes section on hold for a bit, have some things I have to get done first! I also have to pull the booklet out to look at it again since I forgot BoneSatyr wasn't doing the scans for that. I think they have the artist information in them for most of the cds.
Old Aug 17, 2014, 10:08 AM
Trusted Editor

Okay, added album info. They're all on the scans, nothing is in the book except notes about the movie and maybe comments or something but nothing relevant to credits.

Only new artist I found was Akihiro Miura Strings on La Folia, must have missed that when I updated that album when I Gogot it. I updated both this album and the original La Folia album. Name reading comes from here: http://www.yaf.or.jp/mmh/recommend/vela_B120521.pdf