VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Search

Old Jul 15, 2015, 09:33 PM
VGMdb Advisor

!!!!

LoM getting a full arrange album. 'bout time, I say.
Old Jul 16, 2015, 04:46 AM

Well let's hope it's a GOOD one...
Old Jul 16, 2015, 05:17 AM
Trusted Editor

I hope it's more in line with drammatica (than with memória). But I guess I'm already happy if they don't pull some crap like with the KH tribute album.

Last edited by LiquidAcid; Jul 16, 2015 at 05:22 AM.
Old Jul 18, 2015, 12:34 AM
VGMdb Advisor

You can hear a first sample from the recordings in Shimomura's message here. "Hometown Domina".

https://twitter.com/sem_sep/status/621288255980318722

They are taking the jazzy route it seems. Takuro Iga is involved. Shimomura said to Famitsu she didn't want to do an orchestral album this time but something you can listen to casually while eating, driving your car or before going to sleep.

Other tracks already announced are Ruined Sparkling City, Legend of Mana Title Theme, Port City Polpota and Nostalgic Song. One track from Heroes of Mana seems to be included as well.
Old Jul 18, 2015, 02:33 AM

It sounds nice though i wish it would've been orchestral but I think i'll be getting it one of my favorite composers.
Old Jul 18, 2015, 02:52 AM
VGMdb Advisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andvari View Post
It sounds nice though i wish it would've been orchestral but I think i'll be getting it one of my favorite composers.
While this would've been my preference as well, there's like ... 7 tracks? ... between drammatica and memoria from LoM. All of them were orchestral except some battle themes on memoria which went all-out rock (which made sense).

We got "Earth Painting" ("Cave Painting" or however you wanna translate it) in orchestral form on drammatica. I can't complain about anything ever again. :P

I like Takuro Iga's work. I continue to be optimistic about this album.
Old Jul 18, 2015, 02:57 AM
Trusted Editor

I also think that the jazzy approach might work out just fine. If they keep stuff coherent that is. That was my only problem with memória, the style being all over the place.
Old Jul 18, 2015, 02:58 AM

What other album do you think it would be close to?
Old Jul 18, 2015, 04:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanasea View Post
. Shimomura said to Famitsu she didn't want to do an orchestral album this time but something you can listen to casually while eating, driving your car or before going to sleep.

That's a very bizzare thing to say. One can easilly 'listen casually' to orchestral music just the same as anything else.
Old Jul 18, 2015, 05:29 AM

I often listen to carmina burana before going to sleep, it's so calm and relaxing ;p
Old Jul 18, 2015, 05:33 AM
Trusted Editor

I would disagree. At least for me there are certain types of music (in particular this includes the orchestral type) which I only can enjoy when also focusing on the music. This of course then excludes doing anything "heavy" at the same time, like e.g. reading or doing household chores, etc.
Old Jul 18, 2015, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanasea View Post
Shimomura said to Famitsu she didn't want to do an orchestral album this time
Now I'm reaaaaaaally interested about this. A jazz/electronica album would be awesome.
Old Jul 19, 2015, 02:18 AM

I would like to hear just a little more though.
Old Jul 19, 2015, 02:18 AM
VGMdb Advisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraEpon View Post
That's a very bizzare thing to say. One can easilly 'listen casually' to orchestral music just the same as anything else.
I understand what she means, I guess it's more about the mood than the complexity of music. I wrote "casually" but it was actually more like "relaxing".
Old Jul 19, 2015, 04:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phonograph View Post
I often listen to carmina burana before going to sleep, it's so calm and relaxing ;p
I assume you're being sarcastic but a lot of Carmina Burana is quite mellow.
Old Aug 12, 2015, 05:47 AM
Trusted Editor

Some semblance of a track list here:

https://twitter.com/midiplex/status/631416365304287233

Looks to be 12 tracks and includes ホームタウン ドミナ, 海へ, 港町 ポルポタ, Tango Appassionata and more.
Old Nov 4, 2015, 09:56 PM
VGMdb Advisor

based on user ratings, people seem to be loving this one, even moreso than the new CT/CC album. I suspect a lot of that has to do with inflated expectations on new CC arrangements, whereas this one sort of came out of the blue (even though it was essentially promised in the front page of the MANA box set from way back when).

Can we all agree that this is a surprisingly good JAZZ album? And that the instruments that sell it best are piano and flute? That's how I'm feeling about it on first blush. Would leave to hear other opinions. I was shocked by how much I liked Domina and Polpota.

(I could have done without HoM, if only because their best tracks were already covered on drammatica).
Old Jul 8, 2017, 01:19 AM

Just listened to this for the first time. Nice stuff. But the Swedish lyrics in Song of mana... Dear lord, why couldn't they have an actual Swede do the singing? Ms. Yonezawa tries to emulate the Swedish pronunciation of Annika Ljungberg, but some of it sounds just so mangled and wrong that it's difficult to listen. Like there was no difference between the letters a, ä, and å. At all even though they're completely different sounds altogether. I died a little bit inside.
Old Jul 8, 2017, 03:46 AM
Trusted Editor

Hey, this is nothing when you compare it to the various tracks by Sawano with german lyrics.