VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Sep 14, 2008, 08:49 AM

Something looks fishy. I got today my BoF Box and it looks like it is a reprint. Can someone check the Cat# for the first print on the box please?

"CPCA-10146~56(TGCS-3221~31)", 2008-03-30
Old Sep 14, 2008, 08:53 AM
VGMdb Administrator

The TGCS prefix is apparently used as an internal catalogue number, and is present on other Squaresoft related albums too.

Is that release date the one printed on your box?
Old Sep 14, 2008, 09:09 AM

yes, the text is next to the original release date. I would like to take a picture but I don't have a scanner at while.
Old Sep 14, 2008, 09:37 AM
VGMdb Administrator

Is it something like this?

(That's from the Breath of Fire IV Soundtrack)

Is the symbol before the 2008 date? Then it's nothing out of the ordinary, an explanation is given here:

http://anime.geocities.jp/st_nht/how_to.html

Quote:
Price of the most of Japanese CDs are protected for a fix period by law and this symbol means the CD is one of them. The date follows it (used to be two years and now six months after the release) is its expiration date. So shops can sell it at any price after the date. It is often misunderstood as "reprinted date" but it is misinterpretation of the kanji in the circle.
Old Sep 14, 2008, 09:44 AM

ah, ok. Case closed. Thanks!
Old Nov 24, 2008, 09:30 AM

Can someone please post the scans from the album?
Old Sep 29, 2009, 08:33 AM

Great present for ALL BoF fans! I'll definitely get this later! LOVE series - one of my favorite game series & LOVE music from all games.
Old Feb 21, 2010, 11:31 AM

I have a question about track 24: House of Worry. This name has always bugged me.

気配の家 would translate into "kehai no ie" right?

ie = house
no = of
kehai = harbinger, indication, sign. I've also seen "presence" used.

Where does worry come from? "House of Presence" sounds really good considering the "house" being talked about here is well, you know... haunted. Worry still sounds good as well given the feel of the track but is it correct?

Worry is also absent from the name in the game's sound test, which is "That Old House" so that's not a good indicator since "Old" is nowhere to be found in the Box tracklisting.

Anyway, I don't know if that's all right or not. I was just messing around.
Old Feb 22, 2010, 05:08 AM
VGMdb Staff

It sounds like "Haunted House" is the intended meaning, so that could be a possibility too.
Old Feb 27, 2010, 11:21 AM

Does anyone else get the feeling that BOFIII's music was taken from the PSP version? The music is still good but some tracks don't sound right - "Victory Dance" seems to have a lot more depth than it does in the game and "Intermission" is infamous for sounding different than it does in the PS1 game.

Also, screw SCEA for not allowing Capcom to puplish BOFIII, BOFIV, MML, MML2 over here on the PSP. Apparently they weren't big enough cash cows like those SE remakes/re-releases.
Old Mar 13, 2010, 11:01 AM

Playing through the BOF games; figured I'd start a list what didn't make the cut for the box:

Breath of Fire: Current Count: 4

Level Up Gingle
- to Capcom's credit, this jingle would be somewhat hard to capture. It plays right in the middle of 1-11) Victory Song when a character levels up and there is only a fragment of a second before and after it.
Item Jingle
- when you obtain a certain item a gingle plays, it's none of the ones included.
"The Dragon Song"
- an eight second jingle
"Great Achivement"
- the second half of the song heard during the good ending is unacounted for; is treated as two sperate tracks in SPC. Obviously when they took it from the console they got the bad ending and didn't bother getting the good one.

"A Drunk's Life"
- well, it's not played in the game (that I know of). But then how did they record it?

Last edited by Brad Evans; Mar 20, 2010 at 02:11 PM.
Old Mar 20, 2010, 11:34 AM

Finished playing BoF 1; above is everything that is missing and other info.
Old Apr 26, 2010, 01:25 AM

Does anyone know which track Yoko Shimomura composed for BoF 1?
Old Apr 26, 2010, 04:59 AM

do you mean to say 'tracks'? or did Y.Shimomura say she composed just one track for it? i don't think there's even any vague information about the responsibilities each of the composers had on BoF1's soundtrack, is there?
Old Apr 26, 2010, 05:51 AM

GA-Core's legendary interview series revealed that she composed one track for BoV1. According to her, the Capcom sound staffs of the day were divided to two teams, arcade and console, and the arcade team had basically no chance to score console games and vice versa. However, as Shimomura really wanted to score RPGs (and that's part of why she moved to Square) she pleaded with the chief staff to let her compose just one track. She already forgot what track it was though.
Old Apr 26, 2010, 03:21 PM

My money's on "Song and Dance".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZDd6xy6e2k

It's one of the few tracks that can't be directly inferred to be stylistically similar to anything else in the score. Ever since I read that interview, I knew that had to be the track.

Sometime soon I'll be posting a write-up on my theories about composer duties. It helped a lot to narrow the possible choices to only three composers, but at the same time, I was already pretty sure Shimomura had only a small part in the score even before I read the interview. Of the three remaining composers, only Mari Yamaguchi has other (known) solo scores/credited music from the SNES Capcom era from which to ascertain her style. For Yasuaki Fujita I can really only rely on Mega Man 3; and Minae Fujii, literally nothing because I don't know for sure if he was in charge of most of MM4.

I've said it before, and I might as well say it again... Capcom really sucks about this kind of thing. Although, I suppose it doesn't help when some composers can't even remember what they did for certain games. I mean, really--how could Shimomura forget what she composed for a game she had to beg to write for? It was only one track.
Old Jul 4, 2010, 08:50 AM

For those interested in speculation about the composer credits for the original Breath of Fire (1993), please see this thread.
Old Apr 12, 2011, 04:04 PM

I was wondering, could 8-26 be interpreted as "A Man's ~Man~"? I've always wondered if that's what they were aiming for.

Additionally, I don't think this is an original piece either, much like BOFIII's "Tail of a Shark" ... I swear I've heard a simular melody in an old rock song or something.

Edit:

Actually, thanks to my father, I nailed this, it is a cover, a cover of "Wipe Out" by the Ventures.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8__EwAT8VM

You can but that in the same league as "Neon Tiger Stage."

Last edited by Brad Evans; Apr 12, 2011 at 04:16 PM.
Old Apr 12, 2011, 04:31 PM
Trusted Editor

Just noticed this when looking at the tracklist, but "is" is a verb and thus should be capitalized. It's a really, really common mistake and I'm pretty sure that capitalization of verbs is unanimous across all 3 major US style publications.
Old Apr 12, 2011, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Evans View Post
Additionally, I don't think this is an original piece either, much like BOFIII's "Tail of a Shark" ... I swear I've heard a simular melody in an old rock song or something.

Edit:

Actually, thanks to my father, I nailed this, it is a cover, a cover of "Wipe Out" by the Ventures.
No, it's not a cover.

It's an original composition that intentionally pays homage to the blues rock style. Hundreds of songs sound like this one.

EDIT: Furthoermore, Tail of a Shark is intentional homage to a certain film score--so what? It's still original.
Old Apr 12, 2011, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jormungand View Post
No, it's not a cover.

It's an original composition that intentionally pays homage to the blues rock style. Hundreds of songs sound like this one.

EDIT: Furthoermore, Tail of a Shark is intentional homage to a certain film score--so what? It's still original.
Thanks for reminding me why I dont't bother posting anything, anywhere about VGM anymore. My time is better spent jerking off.

Last edited by Brad Evans; Apr 12, 2011 at 05:44 PM.
Old Apr 12, 2011, 11:56 PM
VGMdb Advisor

For 8-26, the part in ~~ is just the reading. So simply "A Man", "Man" would work. Maybe "A Real Man" or "The Man"?
(the word used is a bit like a 'manly man' rather than just a simple guy)

Last edited by Dag; Apr 14, 2011 at 12:12 AM.
Old Apr 13, 2011, 10:45 AM

8-26 plays when you fight Kahn, a really buff martial artist guy. Thus "A Manly Man", or "A Man's Man" would both work.

5-24 should probably be Haunted House, since it plays at the Mcneil's house where you fight a bunch of ghosts.

Last edited by Fearin; Apr 13, 2011 at 02:09 PM.
Old Aug 23, 2011, 09:50 AM
VGMdb Advisor

Yasuaki Fujita put some BoF1 notes and credits here, nice. Summary:

When he became in charge of BoF1, he thought about resigning after it, so he worked extra hard and is very fond of it.
The "concept" was that of a "piano concerto", and so piano was used.
Since this was Capcom's first RPG, everybody in the sound team wanted to help.
Thus S-mura [Yoko Shimomura], Y-guchi [Mari Yamaguchi], F-i [Minae Fujii] and N-mura [Tatsuya Nishimura] did a number of songs.

The songs the guests did releaved for the first time (tracks from the Special Box):
Yamaguchi: 1-06, 1-21, 2-12, 2-15, 2-23
Shimomura: 2-06
Fujii: 1-07
Nishimura: 2-05

Since he resigned before the game was done, he thanks Yamaguchi who took over for the additional tracks.
As an annecdote, he was in a slump. Yamaguchi wrote for him the famous map BGM 1-06, and after hearing it he was able to get over it. So maybe if Yamaguchi would have been in charge, we'd have an awesomer BoF?

He also comments in this album's liner notes, but just general stuff.

Now, this clashes with what Jormungand's guesswork here, but nothing indicates Fujita's left the guest list incomplete. So Fujita = main I suppose.
Old Aug 23, 2011, 11:10 AM

Thanks Dag, amazing info. It turns out I was way off in presuming Yamaguchi was the lead composer. I'm very surprised she was not the composer of the "piano concerto" tracks, but if Fujita is the composer of those tracks, I'm very impressed by him. I'm also shocked it wasn't Yamaguchi who did the other two world map pieces, the empire themes, and really any mostly orchestral pieces. It's strange because they match up so well with Yamaguchi's work in the Magical Quest series and Ghosts n Ghouls...

I also find it strange that Fujii composed 1.07, yet not for example 1.12 which is very similar.

And big surprise about Tatsuya Nishimura. Although at least that explains the one track that sounds nothing like any of the others.

Oh well, to have this cleared up is a great relief. Thank you again Dag.
Old Aug 23, 2011, 12:16 PM
VGMdb Advisor

Well, I guess it's always possible he misremembers or desn't know about tracks added after his departure, but it seems rather definite and seems clear he was main.

Also maybe since the first world map was done early, and being fond of it, he followed the style for similar tracks. Plus the synth didn't give too much range to work with :P
(also the midi to Snes data conversion maybe made them sound even closer)

+17 years late, but it's awesome when composers give us info like this. Ah, the memories.

Last edited by Dag; Aug 23, 2011 at 12:18 PM.
Old Aug 23, 2011, 02:05 PM

dag nabbit, i guess i need to acquire a copy of this since i only have the snesmusic spc set and that's no good for correlating any of this info. nonetheless, excitings!
Old Aug 23, 2011, 08:33 PM

I clarified with Mr. Fujita via email:

Quote:
My tunes for "Breath of Fire" are recorded on the CD, "Breath of Fire
original sound tracks, special box" (CPCA-10146).
I composed
all the tracks in disk #1, except track 6, 7 and 21
all the tracks in disk #2, except track 5, 6, 12, 15 and 23
So that's that! Fujita was the lead composer and composed all but those tracks listed.
Old Aug 24, 2011, 12:48 AM

god ffffff incredible ok ok brb

edit: so there's a few jingles and a couple of songs that weren't included in the special box, from what i can see. going by snesmusic's set, that's "Special Item Fanfare", "Level Up!", "True Ending", "The Fife", "Unused Ambience", "The Lost Hero", "Dragon Heart" and "Lightning". i want to assume they're all by Bun Bun, but Dragon Heart logically seems like it would be Tatsuya Nishimura's, being that it's the jingle version of his song. i agree, it does sound totally different.

i guess it goes without saying that all my favourite songs are Fujita's work. Yamaguchi did take on some pretty important themes though...

a couple of hours later

poof. i'm done. http://snesmusic.jukor.net/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=628

Last edited by Blitz Lunar; Aug 24, 2011 at 03:01 AM.
Old Aug 24, 2011, 05:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitz Lunar View Post

i guess it goes without saying that all my favourite songs are Fujita's work. Yamaguchi did take on some pretty important themes though...
Agreed. All my favorites are by Fujita. Though I love all of Yamaguchi's as well.