VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Mar 6, 2020, 08:41 AM

From the preview tracks, this arrangement will be awesome. Love the new versions of Swivel and Damn Damn Drum, its feels like it was the real intention of Kikuta compositions.
Old Mar 6, 2020, 02:48 PM

Kikuta didn't arrange anything?!

What a waste. Imagine if Square gave him the budget and said, "remake your SD3 tunes like Soukaigi". Man, that would be the mother of all game soundtracks.
Old Mar 8, 2020, 09:10 AM

I hope the soundtrack will not end like its predecessor Secret of Mana Original Soundtrack two years prior oO

Tsuyoshi Sekito can be pretty good sometimes, but his formula largely stays the same unfortunately. Koji Yamaoka is totally unknown to me.

However, I'm a huge fan of Ryo Yamazaki's work! He is such a talented arranger and so is Sachiko Miyano. With these two on board, I dare to say that the soundtrack is in good hands. If they get the chance to arrange at least half of the music. And not only a handful of tracks ...

Maybe Square Enix learned of their previous misstep ... several cooks spoil the broth

Last edited by Mac_Tear; Mar 8, 2020 at 09:13 AM.
Old Mar 9, 2020, 04:09 AM

There are some sound samples on the official page, they sound eons better than the crap that was the SoM remake.

Very hopeful for this.
Old Mar 9, 2020, 09:19 AM

The samples sound good, but it seems they kept the original arrangement and structure and basically just updated the sound quality. Which is fine, but hardly not very original. At least it's a way more safe route than the otherworldy experimental SoM stuff ...

Also, without complaining too much, it seems they didn't use any live instruments, exept for the three orchestrated tracks by Miyano ("Where Angel Fear To Tread", "Meridian Child" and probaly "Return to Forever"). A shame she didn't arrange more.
It seems Yamazaki was the main guy here, along with Sekito, who teamed up with Yamaoka on all tracks. Some live guitar, flute or trombones would have benefitted greatly the quality, but I guess it's just a matter of the budget.
Old Mar 10, 2020, 01:45 AM

Ahhhh I'm so excited about this game! So excited! And these audio previews just have me gasping for more.

I actually liked SoM 2018 musically, or well it was hit and miss, but I think the difference is that I listened to that just as an album, like a remix project. I think I would have been frustrated with it in context, and since ToM is coming to Switch I'll be able to play it. It's certainly a big relief that the sound team went with simple, functional sound ugprades for the songs, nothing fancy, not reinventing the wheel. I think it's the right choice. Everything I have seen of the game so far has been lovingly and faithfully re-imagined which I appreciate so much.
Old Mar 23, 2020, 08:05 PM

Yeah, the remixes of this score sound spectacular. "Sacrifices Part Three" sounds especially amazing.
Old Apr 5, 2020, 01:36 PM

Available for pre-order at the Square Enix Store EU. I added a link to the store in the main page.

EDIT: available in NA store as well

Last edited by Jotamide; Apr 5, 2020 at 01:38 PM.
Old Apr 13, 2020, 02:24 AM

with this sd3r ost delayed, I fear ff7r ost could be delayed to a later date too :/
Old Apr 13, 2020, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phonograph View Post
with this sd3r ost delayed, I fear ff7r ost could be delayed to a later date too :/
I got the email from Amazon Japan today regarding Trials of Mana OST. They're saying it's delayed until January 2021.

Edit: When I was driving home from work last night, I was thinking that very soon I will have Trials of Mana on my shelf, right next to the original. And then, I get home and see this:

"Hello,

We're sorry to inform you that there is a delay in shipping some items from your order. The new delivery date is indicated below. We'll send a confirmation when your items ship. We apologize for the inconvenience.
Details
Placed on 2020/02/21

New estimated delivery date:
2021/01/03 - 2021/01/06
View or cancel order
【Amazon.co.jp限定】聖剣伝説... 【Amazon.co.jp限定】聖剣伝説3 TRIALS OF MANA...

Sold by 上記をご確認下さい"

What a terrible situation! But, that release date might be a placeholder for "we don't know when it's coming out, we just know it's been delayed".

Last edited by Jodo Kast; Apr 14, 2020 at 04:00 AM.
Old Apr 14, 2020, 08:41 AM

January 2021 sounds pretty unlikely to me. It seems the official release date is uncertain, but I doubt it will be next year. Maybe a couple of months. Quite a shame, I was so excited about this soundtrack!
Old Apr 14, 2020, 08:46 AM

I could see sd3r ost for the 24 june (and 10 june for ff7r ost if delayed)

or it's a good excuse to release bd of seiken 1 to 3 and after 3 revival, bam sd3r ost
Old Apr 15, 2020, 09:40 AM

CDJapan's release postponement notice (copied below) specifically says the new release date hasn't been determined, so they've put in dec 31 as a placeholder. Amazon JP is undoubtedly doing the same. Very unlikely that the album will actually be delayed that long.

----
The new release date is not confirmed yet but we will not
cancel your order and keep it for now.

The product page on our website and your order history will show your
release date as "Dec.31, 2020" for technical issues.

However we will inform the correct release date
as soon as we find out.
-----
Old Apr 15, 2020, 12:36 PM

For what little it is worth, the album is still coming out on the 22nd digitally; right now, iTunes is hosting preorders with immediate downloads of "Swivel," "Meridian Child," and "Sacrifice Part 3."
Old Apr 17, 2020, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrackerG View Post
For what little it is worth, the album is still coming out on the 22nd digitally; right now, iTunes is hosting preorders with immediate downloads of "Swivel," "Meridian Child," and "Sacrifice Part 3."
Yep. Should the release be split between digital and physical? As of now the whole album appears as indefinitely delayed.
Old Apr 18, 2020, 06:44 AM
Trusted Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oniros View Post
Yep. Should the release be split between digital and physical? As of now the whole album appears as indefinitely delayed.
I'd argue this is (another) compelling reason to start doing this for all albums, even if the release dates are the same. It's important for collection purposes to specify which version you have, i.e., physical, digital, various vinyl variants (colors, splatters, etc.).
Old Apr 28, 2020, 03:55 PM

I do hope it comes out next month.
Old May 15, 2020, 06:14 AM
Trusted Editor

New release date revealed: June 3rd. https://twitter.com/sem_sep/status/1261174473430118401
Old Jun 3, 2020, 06:58 PM
Trusted Editor

- Added credits from inserts. I removed the old summarized album info in lieu of the official insert transcription since it is largely the same, just a slightly different format.
- Linked performers and engineers
- Added track times from CD source
Old Aug 28, 2020, 06:44 PM
VGMdb Advisor

Packaging scans added.

May want to alter wording in the Note to reflect that while the release date did change to June 3rd for physical product, the packaging itself still lists April 22 as the release date ... which makes sense, they probably couldn't rush a changed back cover and obi in the middle of the delayed production (which I suspect was COVID related)
Old Dec 16, 2020, 07:42 AM

Ok so I wonder. All the tracks except the three orchestral ones are arranged either by Yamazaki OR by Sekito & Yamaoka both -- except for 2-18, which is credited to both Yamazaki & Yamaoka. I wonder if this is a mistake? Obviously it's what it says in the book so we have to go with that but I wonder...
Old Dec 20, 2021, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraEpon View Post
Ok so I wonder. All the tracks except the three orchestral ones are arranged either by Yamazaki OR by Sekito & Yamaoka both -- except for 2-18, which is credited to both Yamazaki & Yamaoka. I wonder if this is a mistake? Obviously it's what it says in the book so we have to go with that but I wonder...
https://www.jp.square-enix.com/music...e/seiken3_tom/ presents the credits track-by-track rather than at the release level with tracknumber ranges. It seems safe to assume this is an intentional credit difference.