VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Miscellaneous Discussion > Artist Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Feb 2, 2009, 04:00 PM
VGMdb Advisor
VGM Artist

Default Miki Higashino (#191)

Profile says 1965, Wiki says 1968. I'm assuming we're more accurate, but just wanted to double check the info with y'all. Anyone know her birth for sure?
Old Feb 4, 2009, 01:26 PM

The use of 1968 is more widespread on English sites while there are a few Japanese sites that say 1965. I'm personally not sure the original source that these sites based her birth date from. I remember her being quite private about her age in one interview.
Old May 5, 2011, 06:04 PM
VGMdb Advisor

Is Yanagisawa her maiden name or something? She's registered under that name for Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Tournament Fighters (Genesis) (credited as MIKI-CHANG in the end credits). And it was also used in the end credits for Contra III: The Alien Wars.
Old May 5, 2011, 06:31 PM

Higashino married again after she was once divorced. Yanagisawa was her first guy and Ishikawa is her second (current) guy.
Old May 5, 2011, 07:16 PM
VGMdb Advisor

Very interesting. She uses Miki Ishikawa in her Facebook.
Old May 5, 2011, 07:48 PM
VGMdb Advisor

Yet again you amaze me with all the information you know, Cedille. Thanks for explaining.
Old May 5, 2011, 11:51 PM
VGMdb Advisor

She was credited as Miki Ishikawa (with kanji) in online shops like amazon for Gradius Arcade Soundtrack (and in her mixi apparently), though the booklet still says Higashino.

But since she still uses Higashino even after marrying as her artist name, I don't think we should spread it and link to personal stuff like Facebook.
Old May 6, 2011, 01:41 AM

One thing we should always keep mind is that any information, from real name, birth date, alias, photo, sex, personal website, Hentai game credit, sound equipment, to even officially admitted info, can be a sensitive matter. I even saw one artist complaining on twitter about us covering some old stuff she hoped not to be discovered. Coverage vs. Privacy is such agenda that maybe the ultimate borderline can only be drawn by the artists themselves. If they say "no", yeah, it'd be no, as shown in the fact we've willingly listened to several requests from artists so far.

For gray matters, there is no absolute standard. Who can say detecting akiropito's real name isn't problematic at all, for instance? I do think it could potentially be, since I remember akiropito talked about one j-pop album on his closed blog and didn't specify which track his was since his real name was credited. It's best to be fully aware that what one think is white can look black for somebody.

Anyway, I'm fine with us having some hesitation from personal matters, but I don't think it can be done by an arbitrary standard.
Old May 6, 2011, 02:59 AM
VGMdb Advisor

Well I'm not saying we have to keep it super secret. After all the info is uncovered using public research methods, anybody could do it.
I'm sure many artists are not comfortable with their old works or any internet info about them, but hey.

But stuff like the Facebook link (that includes a personal photo) in her artist page feels kind of bad, considering she only uses Higashino even in recent works or interviews.
Old May 6, 2011, 06:13 AM

i think if you have to invade someone's private/semi-private/personal space to find information of any kind, that information should not be made public. if information is quite obviously public though, i think it's fair game. there comes a point where it's simply the responsibility of artists to keep any sensitive information private / control what information about them is published. i understand on this site we're doing our best to be respectful and not step on toes, but we're also not mindreaders, and i think it'd be a shame to compromise on adding a lot of good information to the site due to constant doubts about whether this or that is kosher or not. and of course, artists can always contact vgmdb about problems.

(this wasn't something i understood or considered when i first contributed here, i would just throw any information up, being a completionist by nature i suppose!)
Old May 6, 2011, 08:18 AM
VGMdb Advisor

I agree with all the questions about the artist privacy, but I don't think there is a problem about the link for her Facebook (unless she requests to remove, of course). The maiden kanji name is there on browser's taskbar (in fact, I found this page just googling 東野美紀). If she wanted to maintain the full privacy of the photo, she wouldn't use in the profile, which is publicly visible. Besides, we aren’t using that photo on the profile page here.
Old May 9, 2011, 04:15 AM

Facebook profiles can be set private so they aren't covered by search engines. So if they can be accessed from outside one can only assume it's set that way on purpose.
Old May 9, 2011, 05:35 AM

In this case, I agree with Cedille. Many professionals are very sensitive to leaking of personal information, even for encyclopedic purposes.
Old Nov 23, 2012, 03:23 AM

To get a definitive answer on the birth date, maybe ask SEMO who has interviewed her and wrote a detail biography.

http://www.squareenixmusic.com/compo...no/index.shtml
Old May 28, 2019, 11:21 AM

Any news about her lately? Is she still working in the music business? I wonder if she noticed the recently Suikoden revival in terms of orchestrated music (JAGMO, Kentaro Sato). She did contribute to Game Music Prayer 4 in February, didn't she?
Old Sep 15, 2020, 01:01 PM

I would sell a kidney for Higashino to come out of retirement and score a Suikoden VI, or a spiritual successor. And none of that 1 or 2 guest tracks BS, a full, 4 CD soundtrack, like Suikoden II.
Sigh, a man can dream.