VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Jan 25, 2018, 09:43 PM

Additional informations are taken from here:
https://www.gamer.ne.jp/news/201801260019/
Old Jan 26, 2018, 01:19 AM

There will be at least one special new arrangement recorded with the Irish choir ANÚNA, the same one as in the Xenoblade Chronicles 2 track Shadow of the Lowlands (check it out here). Can't wait!
Old Jan 26, 2018, 02:19 AM
VGMdb Advisor

I'm also wondering if something new from Joanne Hogg is coming, because in her most recent newsletter she wrote:

Quote:
THE MAP PROJECT AND JAPAN!
2017 was one of those years that seemed to fly past and those goals and plans that I had at the start of the year were not realised.

One was to finish production of the MAP project, so that is now one of my goals for 2018. I have two more songs to mix to complete part 1 which will have 6 tracks, two parable songs, 3 miracle songs and my "compass" song!

I'm aiming for a digital release by the end of February and probably will manufacture a limited run of CDs as I'm heading to JAPAN in April and I'd love to take the MAP Project with me.

I won't be performing my own material. I've been asked to perform the Xenogears PlayStation soundtrack songs I recorded 20 years ago, at 4 separate concerts and also to record some new material while I'm there. It'll be an interesting trip.

It's a long way but such a fascinating place and the funds will enable me to continue recording new material.
Old Jan 26, 2018, 05:18 AM

Meanwhile I'm just sitting here waiting for news of a full OST release for Xenoblade 2. :P
Old Jan 26, 2018, 08:34 AM

Does this mean we can hope for a Xenogears Remake??? Would be more than fantastic
Old Mar 4, 2018, 05:41 PM
VGMdb Advisor

I don't have a Bluray player.
Is this only a Bluray release?
Old Mar 4, 2018, 06:17 PM
Trusted Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eriol View Post
I don't have a Bluray player.
Is this only a Bluray release?
Do you have a PS3 or PS4? All VGM BDA releases that I've bought (or seen) have network transferable zips of mp3s on the disc.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 04:19 PM
VGMdb Advisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancey View Post
Do you have a PS3 or PS4? All VGM BDA releases that I've bought (or seen) have network transferable zips of mp3s on the disc.
I have a PS4, but how would I transfer files from the disc to my Mac? I never heard about this PS4 feature before.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 04:22 PM
Trusted Editor

When you put the disc in it basically turns your PS4 into a server and you can connect to it from any web browser on your home network. There should be an insert in the album that explains it, one side is in Japanese and the other is in English (at least on recent releases). I know that insert has been scanned because I’ve seen it here but I don’t recall on which album it was on.

*edit* phone typos

Last edited by dancey; Mar 6, 2018 at 04:41 PM.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 04:46 PM
Trusted Editor

Here’s the example I was thinking of: https://vgmdb.net/db/covers.php?do=view&cover=265888

Here's the instructions in English via the FFXIV: Before the Fall BD: http://www.square-enix.co.jp/music/s...e_the_Fall/en/.

tldr: basically every SQEX BD release has had this feature, so this one should as well.

Last edited by dancey; Mar 6, 2018 at 05:53 PM.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 03:41 PM
VGMdb Advisor

Thanks Dancey for this information.
Old Mar 31, 2018, 06:32 AM

Full tracklist here:

http://www.square-enix.co.jp/music/s...val/#tracklist

The main tracklist contains 45 tracks (the 44 tracks of the original soundtrack + a previously unreleased track titled "予兆").

In addition to this, there are the 4 new vocal tracks performed by Anúna and arranged by Yasunori Mitsuda and Mariam Abounnasr.
Old Apr 3, 2018, 10:40 PM

Tracktimes and digital purchase of 24/96 are now available at these stores:

http://www.e-onkyo.com/music/album/sqex20048
http://mora.jp/package/43000021/SQEX-20048_F/

Last edited by .out; Apr 3, 2018 at 11:27 PM.
Old Apr 4, 2018, 05:28 AM
Trusted Editor

Good as place as any to put this but I think you can purchase Niconico points and stream the Xenogears 20th Anniversary Concert -the beginning and the end- on 4/8. https://secure.live.nicovideo.jp/product/4210

They accept ApplePay (suprisingly) and VISA, so I don't think there is any geolock but I didn't go all the way through the process. You'll also be able to rewatch the stream through 5/7/2018.
Old Apr 4, 2018, 07:11 AM
VGMdb Staff

I wouldn't recommend that to anyone. Niconico is a terrible video platform for many reasons.

Even their paid "high quality" streams aren't high quality at all. I can almost guarantee you that this stream (which costs roughly $23 USD) is going to be encoded at around 420p with a low bitrate.
Old Apr 4, 2018, 07:20 AM
Trusted Editor

It’s a rare opportunity to see a concert you’ll never be able to attend and something that very rarely, if ever, happens (live streaming for outside Japan). It’s also a chance to support artists and series you may like and to show the producers and organizers that there’s interest outside of Japan. Quality is the last thing that should be of concern.
Old Apr 4, 2018, 07:39 AM
VGMdb Staff

It's been happening more often recently. I've paid for two "high quality" concerts and have been burnt both times. I won't do it a third time. Niconico does not deserve the business.

You're right that it's an opportunity to see something you otherwise wouldn't have been able to see... but it's pretty hard to to enjoy anything when the A/V quality is so poor.
Old Apr 5, 2018, 04:04 AM

I haven't used NicoNico in a while but are these purely live streams that become unavailable for viewing after they end, or can you view past streams?

Are any of y'all recording (i.e. backing up) these streams and if so, how are you doing it? I already have some experience with screen recording software but I am wondering if there is an easier way of backing them up in a preferably 1:1 "lossless" way. I expect relatively poor video and audio quality but any quality is better than nothing if this (or any other game concert) doesn't get officially released on DVD or BluRay.
Old Apr 5, 2018, 05:13 AM
Trusted Editor

The website says you can view the recording until 5/7/2018, so a month after. I don't actually plan on purchasing the stream, I just wanted to let people know who might want to. I don't have any experience ripping Niconico streams but I assume there is a way, I just don't know how.
Old Apr 5, 2018, 07:31 AM
VGMdb Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by layzee View Post
I haven't used NicoNico in a while but are these purely live streams that become unavailable for viewing after they end, or can you view past streams?

Are any of y'all recording (i.e. backing up) these streams and if so, how are you doing it? I already have some experience with screen recording software but I am wondering if there is an easier way of backing them up in a preferably 1:1 "lossless" way. I expect relatively poor video and audio quality but any quality is better than nothing if this (or any other game concert) doesn't get officially released on DVD or BluRay.
There's a set time period where you can watch the VOD (until May 7th in this case). You could either use screen recording software to capture it or you could use video capture software to download it directly. Nico uses rtmp for livestreams, so you would want to find software that can detect those types of streams.

A good program specifically for Nicovideo is called kakorokuRecorder. Though the interface is entirely in Japanese. I think there's an English guide out there somewhere.
Old Apr 5, 2018, 09:58 AM

This concert will most certainly get the BD treatment down the road, I wouldn't break my balls ripping the stream (especially in Nico subpar quality..).
Old Apr 6, 2018, 05:37 AM

I got a copy of this yesterday so I put up the English track list from the official MP3 tags. *edit* I added the track times from the Bluray version (mp3 times are slightly different).

I like how they put those MP3 copies on these BD releases, I always demux the videos and convert the audio to FLAC and just copy those MP3 tags right into the .flac files. Would be easier if they just put FLAC copies on the disc though!

Last edited by Cellfish; Apr 6, 2018 at 09:28 AM.
Old Apr 6, 2018, 10:13 PM

Just a question, but how exactly does the Blu-ray Music disc work? I'm aware I'll need a Blu-ray player, but I'm curious about how you get the MP3 files off of the disc. I'm not entirely clear on how that works.

I use iTunes to rip my regular CDs typically, but I know that I can open the disc itself and check the files there, is it similar to that?

Also, I just finished Xenogears for the first time today. I guess I finished it in a timely manner considering this album just released, and I believe the 20th anniversary concert is today. I wanted to mention how much I love the OST. Absolutely amazing OST. I was originally planning on waiting for my birthday to get this album, but I think I like it too much to wait that long, haha.

Last edited by MBgov1133; Apr 6, 2018 at 10:15 PM.
Old Apr 6, 2018, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancey View Post
Oh, just read up a bit. Interesting. How would this work if I were to put the disc into my PS4?

EDIT: Nevermind.

On another note, I just noticed that track 7 on this release isn't included on the original release for the Xenogears OST. Not that it's anything to be rejoicing about, it's only a 14 second interlude that's been released, but it's nice to know that this is a "full" OST release as such.

Last edited by MBgov1133; Apr 7, 2018 at 04:06 AM.
Old Apr 7, 2018, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBgov1133 View Post
Just a question, but how exactly does the Blu-ray Music disc work? I'm aware I'll need a Blu-ray player, but I'm curious about how you get the MP3 files off of the disc. I'm not entirely clear on how that works.

I use iTunes to rip my regular CDs typically, but I know that I can open the disc itself and check the files there, is it similar to that?
They're no different than movies on Blu-ray. Each track is just a video file on the disc. If you're an audiophile you can demux the videos (separate the audio from the video) and convert the audio tracks to FLAC files to maintain the full increased quality of these releases. You can grab the MP3 copy with a PS4, but you need a Blu-ray drive for your computer to do what I outlined above.
Old Apr 7, 2018, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cellfish View Post
I got a copy of this yesterday so I put up the English track list from the official MP3 tags.
Probably a stupid question, but how did you find the official MP3 tags with English track titles? (That would probably be a big help with other Japan-only OSTs on this site!)
Old Apr 7, 2018, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rew View Post
Probably a stupid question, but how did you find the official MP3 tags with English track titles? (That would probably be a big help with other Japan-only OSTs on this site!)
The official English track titles are in the booklet.

As for the MP3s, I assume the MP3 files may have come with the English titles on them. It would vary depending on who's publishing the OST and whether someone actually makes an official English tracklist or not, I assume.
Old Apr 7, 2018, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBgov1133 View Post
As for the MP3s, I assume the MP3 files may have come with the English titles on them. It would vary depending on who's publishing the OST and whether someone actually makes an official English tracklist or not, I assume.
Yep, they put both the Japanese and English titles together in the same tag. When I said I got the titles from the MP3 tags, I only meant that I copy/pasted them from the MP3s (as opposed to reading the booklet and typing them).
Old Apr 9, 2018, 05:37 AM

Interesting version of the Shevat BGM on this release - it's missing some of the percussion. I think it plays back this way in some areas of the city but not all.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by student41269 View Post
Interesting version of the Shevat BGM on this release - it's missing some of the percussion. I think it plays back this way in some areas of the city but not all.
I know the game cuts out some of the percussion of the music when there's a loud sound effect (like when saving the game), but I didn't notice any difference when listening to the previews for this album on mora, e-onkyo and such. Maybe it's just further in on the track than what the previews provided. I'll find out when I get the album I guess.